Cracked Exhaust Manifold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked Exhaust Manifold

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 07-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
westt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Looking for a low cost solution: Anyone try welding the crack? Or just bite the bullet and have a new one installed? Can this be done with simple hand tools? Anyone near New Philadelphia, Ohio that would want to help me wrench this?
I bought an used early 2007 fab date and I swear that it has every issue known: lifter tick - check, torque converter shudder - check and replaced under warranty, fuel burp - check (waiting for recall), windshield leak - check (waiting for rock damage).

All that being said, my wife and I still love it.

westt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

I fixed mine in an hour in my driveway.

I bought my manifold at a distributor not a dealer so the price was fine, can’t remember what I paid but I remember thinking “that’s all?”
You will need several extensions or a long one and a swivel for your ratchet. The two bolts on the exhaust pipe are easier to get from the bottom. I hit all the bolts with PB blaster the day before. The repair went off without a hitch. Very easy.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

When it comes to cast iron pieces I just replace them, welded cast iron is a pain and pretty much impossible in the vehicle. Once you have it out and pay the cost to weld it you've almost paid for a new one.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing View Post
When it comes to cast iron pieces I just replace them, welded cast iron is a pain and pretty much impossible in the vehicle. Once you have it out and pay the cost to weld it you've almost paid for a new one.
DITTO - well at least cost to weld CORRECTLY. Even on the old obsolete cast iron parts (where a new item does not exist) I would recommend lock-n-stitch over welding. Properly welding cast requires a ton of prep and a VERY good welder (man and machine) - well above average, and even then you have new stresses that must escape - usually as a crack elsewhere a few miles later.

Although I am sure you can always find someone willing to take your money and give you other hope...
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
westt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is the exhaust manifold covered under federal emissions warranty???
westt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

No - only the components newly developed and added under the clean air act that control combustion are covered. Manifolds existed prior to the clean air act.
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Might want to consider headers since replacing the manifold with an identical manifold may lead to the same failure.
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not really - a quick trip to a machine shop for a $10.00 run through the shot blaster will relieve the stress risers and make that new manifold last almost forever!

But lacking that headers are a good choice - just a bit more underhood noise and a small amount more underhood heat.
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
No - only the components newly developed and added under the clean air act that control combustion are covered. Manifolds existed prior to the clean air act.
I don't know about that being how they figure what's covered, but here is what the JK warranty book says is covered for a longer period than the rest of the vehicle:

B. Parts Covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this
Federal Emission Warranty
covers that part for a
period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
These limits are counted from the time when your
Basic Limited Warranty begins under 2.1(E). The
covered parts are:
catalytic converter; and
powertrain control module.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

So the PCM is covered as well, did not know that.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

What about JB Weld??
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
mello

Jb weld is a good thought however on a cast iron manifold the excessive heat will cause it to fail very quickly.
mello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #13
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Got mine at dealership today wondering if its this. I read a lot of threads of ticking starting when they warm up, my ticks when it's cold and after it warms up ticking has vanished. Someone I bumped into mentioned his jk did same and to start jeep place in drive step on brake and give some gas, that made ticking come back hot or cold. So not sure. We will find out
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Got my jk back and sure was a cracked exhaust manifold. Guess its part of warranty as I have 88k miles and paid for the extended warranty but issues before had me pay a deductible but this time bill was zero dollars.
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.