Cowl rust already? 2008 with 27000 miles - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cowl rust already? 2008 with 27000 miles

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I used some rust converter and applied it w/ a q-tip, worked pretty good.

Then I used touch up. Wasn't this Jeep, but it worked well.
Is that like a rust inhibitor like rustolium?

I'm seriously thinking about bedlining the cowl now if the dealer won't fix it. I'll find out today if they will.

If I bedline the cowl and it turns out horrid looking, any idea on the cost to get a new one and have it painted?

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #17
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Why bedline the cowl? Just do the touch-up like already suggested; it will look a lot better than bedliner.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
ncb

Jeeps seem to be stone catchers. If a rock chips the paint deep enough it will most likely rust. Touch up the chips as they happen and rust shouldn't be an issue. Only use enough paint to fill the chip and it wont be that noticeable.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #19
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Jeeps seem to be stone catchers. If a rock chips the paint deep enough it will most likely rust. Touch up the chips as they happen and rust shouldn't be an issue. Only use enough paint to fill the chip and it wont be that noticeable.
I guess I should put some rust inhibitor on before I paint it?
Unread 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #20
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
Yes. Painting over the rust wont stop it. Trying to sand it would make a larger repair spot.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, the dealer wouldn't cover it, but they sent me to their collision center and they gave me an about 3 ounce bottle of paint for free! I put the first coat on and it matches perfectly! It is slightly recessed there, but another layer should fix it.

I'll be hitting the craft store for a fine point brush this weekend, and then tackling every scratch I can find Finally all my days of painting the minor details on Warhammer 40k models will pay off!
Unread 08-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, the dealer wouldn't cover it, but they sent me to their collision center and they gave me an about 3 ounce bottle of paint for free! I put the first coat on and it matches perfectly! It is slightly recessed there, but another layer should fix it.

I'll be hitting the craft store for a fine point brush this weekend, and then tackling every scratch I can find Finally all my days of painting the minor details on Warhammer 40k models will pay off!
why stop there, start the warhammer 40k build and paint job, we'll need pics of course.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
why stop there, start the warhammer 40k build and paint job, we'll need pics of course.
It's a shame I don't have any more now... Maybe I should pick up a Space Marine. Dark Blue Metallic armor would look awesome!
Unread 08-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, you should have.

Converter will change the rust,on a chemical, level to a primer, sort of, and prevents the rust from seeping through your touch up.

Don't get in a hurry, using converter will help in the long term. A dab will do...

Tags
cowl , JK Wrangler , paint touch-up , rock chips in paint , rust , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.