Couple of soft top questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Couple of soft top questions

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 07-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
njparrothead
2010 JK Wrangler 

Couple of soft top questions

Hi all, I just purchased a 2010 Silver Sport, 6 speed, with a soft top. I'd like to know if I should put anything on the zippers? And if there is an easy way to raise the roof back up and into those clips alone. I find it difficult to raise the roof alone, doesn't seem to go up uniformly, I have to keep running back and forth to kinda coach it up.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I had an 89 Wrangler S, with Square headlights, ever since I got rid of it, years ago, I wanted another one. Im finally back where I belong!!!
Thank You

njparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Croce
2009 JK Wrangler 

I use Mopar Zipper Lube for the rear window. Before, i could barely zip it back up with two hands, after applying that stuff i can easily zip it up easily with just one hand
Soft Top Zipper Cleaner & Lubricant By Mopar - Item # 5066440AA - a lot of people have found cheaper alternatives then this which im sure they'll post

Im not sure if yours is a 4dr? mine is, and i use to have a real hard time putting it up myself.. Now since i got rear seat covers, i just stand on the rear seats (with tailgate open) and bend over the roll bar, grab the Soft top bars and pull it up into the clips
[CENTER][B][COLOR="black"]2009 Jeep JK Sahara Unlimited[/COLOR][/B] | Smittybilt XRC Rock Guards | Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper | Rockcrusher Front D30 Diff Cover | KC Hilities Daylighters | Rancho Oil Pan Cover | BMD Evap Skid | AEV Snorkel [/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Mirror Flip | Daystar dash | Painted Sahara Rims | Seat mounted Mag-lites | Gutter Grill inserts | Smittybilt Seat covers | Vent Mirrors | Spray Can-Bed Liner and Interior Paint [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/"][COLOR="yellow"]Jeep Owners Manual[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Any fool can know. The point is to understand- Einstein[/SIZE][/CENTER]
Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

practice w/ the top, by 3rd time you can do it w/o the video, doors are easier to remove, keep the top VERY CLEAN, covered if possible and use a decent after wash product tio keep it supple and clean too. Lube the zippers w/ MOPAR zipper lube, your dealer should give you some to start....use ONLY a plastic clean like Novus on the plastic windows and treat 'em gentle, the back ones gonna scratch just by getting dirty w/ rain/water film from bad weather anyway but, more gentle, longer they last...
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njparrothead View Post
Hi all, I just purchased a 2010 Silver Sport, 6 speed, with a soft top. I'd like to know if I should put anything on the zippers?
Bee's wax does wonders. Use the same stuff on a drysuit zipper. If it works for life support equipment, it works for soft top zippers just fine.

Quote:
And if there is an easy way to raise the roof back up and into those clips alone.
Yes. Put the back seat down, get in there, stand up in the back seat area, then reach down and pull the top up and pre-position it. Then get out, clip it into place. Trying to do it from the side while standing on the ground is very frustrating and can lead to stabbing the soft top multiple times with a large butcher knife in a fit of rage - and leads to needing to purchase a new soft top.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Bee's wax does wonders. Use the same stuff on a drysuit zipper. If it works for life support equipment, it works for soft top zippers just fine.

Yes. Put the back seat down, get in there, stand up in the back seat area, then reach down and pull the top up and pre-position it. Then get out, clip it into place. Trying to do it from the side while standing on the ground is very frustrating and can lead to stabbing the soft top multiple times with a large butcher knife in a fit of rage - and leads to needing to purchase a new soft top.

lol... speaking from experience? I hope not
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
CooterBrown

1965 CJ5 

i stand on my back bumper and throw up the top. kinda balances by itself.

2010 rubicon JK
CooterBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
doliss
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you have a 2 door then I have a good way to put up the top by yourself.

What i do is pull the top by the larger diameter (non-hinged) support bar and push it up further than it needs to go. At that height it will allow you to pull the smaller (hinged) support bar down as well as the windshield channel. (part that connects to the top of your windshield) Doing it this way keeps the top framework even as i push it up over the top. After the windsheild channel is up where it should be i hold the top against the top of the door frame then let the back top support bar go down into it's proper place.

Connect the two latches inside the jeep to the windsheild and then you're golden. Takes me less than a min to do. Not sure what you would do if you have the 4 door, i haven't played around with any of those
doliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #8
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlePyrat View Post
i stand on my back bumper and throw up the top. kinda balances by itself.

X2. I stand on the hitch and throw it to the front. When I get it just right the side latches click in on their own.
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
nhjku
2010 JK Wrangler 

One time, I took a stepladder with me, because I knew I'd need to put it up by myself, and by standing on the stepladder, I had enough leverage to do it.
nhjku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
X2. I stand on the hitch and throw it to the front. When I get it just right the side latches click in on their own.
x3, this works for me. Alone I can get the top up in less than 5 minutes.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jk , jk wrangler , wrangler , zipper , soft top , maintenance , raise top , coax , help , alone

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.