could use a little more flex - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > could use a little more flex

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 10-06-2006, 09:46 AM   #16
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
What's RTI?
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Ramp.shtml#RTI

scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney
All you need is the height off the ground, the angle is irrelevant.
Not according to the formula I looked up.

RTI = Tire Height/sin(ramp angle*PI/180)/Wheelbase*1000

If you go here (http://www.4lo.com/calc/rticalc.htm )and plug in 18.5" for the tire height you only get a RTI of 466. That just doesn't seem right to me. In addition, you'll notice in their formula (at the bottom of the page) they are assumming a 20 degree ramp.
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #18
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Typically, you would measure the distance climbed along the length of the ramp. That number divided by the wheelbase, multiplied by 1000. This is why the score is 1000 when the rear tire hits the bottom of the ramp.

Distance / Wheelbase x 1000 = RTI

So if a TJ goes 93 inches up the ramp, 93/93x1000=1000.

That is also why a distinction is needed between a 20º and a 30º ramp when comparing scores.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #19
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So whats the use of RTI? What does it tell us about a vehicle?
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
Laxstar46

It rates the flex of the vehicle. a way to measure the amount of flex the suspension system can take while keeping all four on the ground. Also a way to compare rigs. They do this in the "top truck challenge" to begin the competition they use the RTI and it becomes part of the score. Also I believe the angle used to be 20 but thery changed it to 30 because most ppl were scoring a perfect 1000
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #21
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So whats the use of RTI? What does it tell us about a vehicle?
Just an artificial measurement of articulation. It's hard to compare one vehicle to another since not everyone has access to the same trails. And sometimes trails change... so when someone was looking for a standard way to measure a vehicles trail worthyness, this is what they came up with.

Obviously a score of 900 might work better on a rocky trail than a rig that scores only 400, but the lower RTI truck might climb a ledge better due to a longer wheelbase (which can lower your RTI score). So the score by no means tells the whole story.

I'll be Savvy someday!
Unread 10-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #22
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds pretty pointless to me. Appraoch angles and ground clearance surely must be more important. I mean a leaf sprung 1950's S1 Land Rover won't flex like a modern coil sprung SUV. But I can gaurantee it'll conquer more ground with more ease.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #23
neZZr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds pretty pointless to me. Appraoch angles and ground clearance surely must be more important. I mean a leaf sprung 1950's S1 Land Rover won't flex like a modern coil sprung SUV. But I can gaurantee it'll conquer more ground with more ease.
There is a practical (and debatable) limit to how much flex is actually beneficial, but it is doubtful that a stiff leaf-spring vehicle will run the same line as easily as a flexy coil-over buggy on many of the boulder strewn trails people are running these days.

I'll be Savvy someday!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.