could really use some helpful knowledge - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > could really use some helpful knowledge

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking the clutch would slip when I take off and accelerate hard, but it does not. Told the jeep manager this and he said maybe it is just starting to wear and has not worn enough to slip under acceleration. I like the idea of marking the serpentine belt. I think I will try this in the morning. Jeep manager told me that if the engine had lost any compression, the check engine light would be on. He said that if there is a 25% difference in compression between any of the cylinders it would trigger check engine light.

gunny40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

The e-brake is holding now. I have to pull up so hard that it feels like I am about to rip it out of the floor. I am pretty stout, if I say so myself. Do not like to think what may happen if my wife drives it. Since I put the lift and larger tires on the jeep it handles different and she does not like driving it any longer. (Maybe this is a good thing)
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny40 View Post
The e-brake is holding now. I have to pull up so hard that it feels like I am about to rip it out of the floor. I am pretty stout, if I say so myself. Do not like to think what may happen if my wife drives it. Since I put the lift and larger tires on the jeep it handles different and she does not like driving it any longer. (Maybe this is a good thing)
So, to re-ask a question, how many clicks on the handle does it take to make the e-brake hold?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not know the number exactly. I know I have past 10. I go [U][pastU] EVERY click. I have to max it out.
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

I pull it so far up, that it comes back down a little before it catches the notches (clicks)
After I pass all the clicks there is a little back and forth play with no clicks. Hard to explain. I am not describing it well and probably confusing everyone. Sorry. I will go out and count them now. Post reply regarding clicks in a few minutes.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

OK, The e-brake only has 10 clicks on it, then it seems to run out of notches, but handle still goes past all this a little bit. There is a weird feeling between clicks 6 and 7 went past these several times slowly and something seems to "thunk" or feel as though something gives way. Weird.
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #22
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

This weird feeling is only between clicks 6-7. Seems as though something is broken there. I also do not like the fact that the handle pulls up past all the notches. Manager stated they could tighten the brake until the pads barely rub the drums, but they would get hot and wear quickly. I thought this is a bad idea!!
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, The e-brake only has 10 clicks on it, then it seems to run out of notches, but handle still goes past all this a little bit. There is a weird feeling between clicks 6 and 7 went past these several times slowly and something seems to "thunk" or feel as though something gives way. Weird.
The feeling that something gives way is probably the spring clutch in the lever slipping. If that's it, spray some brake cleaner on it through the brush seal where the lever sticks out of the console. If it doesn't work immediately, give it some time to dry.

My e-brake holds solid at about 5 or 6 clicks.
If your spring clutch is slipping at about 6 clicks, you will lose a lot of pull on the cable.
If the cleaner makes it stop slipping, you can tell if the shoes need adjusting.

Here is a pic of what to soak with the brake cleaner.

Go to this thread to see how the lever works.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...20/?highlight=
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #24
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. Will try this in the morning. I appreciate all your help. I will let you know how this works tomorrow. Are you living in Maine? I think I told you before that my family and I visited Maine a couple weeks ago. I have to say it is one of the most beautiful states I have been to. We are now considering retiring there. I have two years of active duty left to make my 20yrsof active service. I also have 2yrs 9mnths reserve. I am a registered nurse in the army now. Hope I can afford to live in Maine. With my (captain with 20yrs) retirement and working as a RN hopefully we can get by.
Unread 07-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #25
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Easy
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks. That should hold. Now I need to get out there and put a mark on my serpentine belt and see if the engine is turning when the jeep slips backwards.
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just went out and put a little bright green fingernail polish on the serpentine belt, left the jeep in first gear (facin uphill in my driveway), and released the e-brake. The jeep rolled back a few times and the green polish is gone! So, I am thinking the engine has to be turning. Am I correct in thinking this? So, could this be a compression issue?
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #28
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ronjenx, very good advice, thanks. I went out and put bright green nail polish on serpentine belt. Left jeep in first gear (facing up hill) and released e-brake. The jeep rolled backwards a few times and I checked for the green polish on the belt and it is gone. I believe it rotated to where I can no longer see it. Now my question is this, "Does this mean my engine is losing compression?"
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #29
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ronjenx, very good advice, thanks. I went out and put bright green nail polish on serpentine belt. Left jeep in first gear (facing up hill) and released e-brake. The jeep rolled backwards a few times and I checked for the green polish on the belt and it is gone. I believe it rotated to where I can no longer see it. Now my question is this, "Does this mean my engine is losing compression?"
Not necessarily losing compression.
Taller tires have more leverage over the engine.
The engine isn't really supposed to hold the vehicle (by itself) on a steep hill.
The engine is supplemental to the e-brake. They should both be used.

The e-brake lever mechanism has a weak point that can snap any time when a lot of holding power is needed. I would make sure the Jeep doesn't roll when parked on a steep hill by adding a chock to the engine/e-brake combination.
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #30
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

OK. I think this is satisfactory. I feel as if I have beat this dead horse enough. Very pleased with all the help and responses to my post. Thanks guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.