could really use some helpful knowledge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > could really use some helpful knowledge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 07-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

could really use some helpful knowledge

My 2012 JK unlimited has a 6speed manual and rolls backward when I park it in my driveway. My driveway is quite steep, but I leave the jeep in 1st gear and emergency brake applied. It rolls backward approximately 12inches every 15 seconds or so. Shouldn't either the transmission or e-brake alone hold the jeep in place? Definitely with the two combined. Jeep dealer has looked at brakes three times. Could not find what is wrong with e-brake. Sent a "star request" to chrysler asking for help figuring out what is wrong. Has anyone had this happen? I am going to see service manager in the morning. Would love some knowledge from you guys before going to talk with him. Thanks in advance.

gunny40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

How many clicks on the lever to make the e-brake hold as best as it can? (This all sounds familiar.)

Have you tried it with the front end pointed down the hill?

The e-brake has a weak point that can snap at any time. You may want to consider using the 1st gear, the e-brake, AND a chock, when parked on a steep incline.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

When on an incline I like to use 2nd gear and the parking brake. I think that the first gear ratio is low enough to turn the motor without much effort while second gear or higher would allow the compression to hold the Jeep in place. The parking brake doesn't hold very well even when properly adjusted.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
When on an incline I like to use 2nd gear and the parking brake. I think that the first gear ratio is low enough to turn the motor without much effort while second gear or higher would allow the compression to hold the Jeep in place. The parking brake doesn't hold very well even when properly adjusted.
First gear will hold better than the higher gears. It has to do with how fast the tires try to turn the engine over.
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
First gear will hold better than the higher gears. It has to do with how fast the tires try to turn the engine over.
You're right!
I was thinking of the ratios...
I don't know what I was thinking

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
martinm66
2013 JK Wrangler 

That's weird. When I had a stick I always left it in reverse gear because it is harder to get started moving in the first place. I also turned the wheels to almost full turn.
martinm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
burnswhenip
2010 JK Wrangler 

Leave your jeep in reverse
burnswhenip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks for all of your help. I will go see what the dealer has to say.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Now I've got a question on the first/reverse position.

I've always used first when the nose was pointed uphill and reverse when the nose was pointed downhill. The main reason being that I figured first would resist rolling backwards better and that reverse would resist rolling forward better.

Is there some truth to which gear is better for parking or does it come down to personal preference?
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtone1583 View Post
Now I've got a question on the first/reverse position.

I've always used first when the nose was pointed uphill and reverse when the nose was pointed downhill. The main reason being that I figured first would resist rolling backwards better and that reverse would resist rolling forward better.

Is there some truth to which gear is better for parking or does it come down to personal preference?
The owner's manual says to leave the manual transmission in reverse or first; no reference to which way the Jeep is pointed.

The pistons will develop compression when the crank shaft is turned either way.
First is a lower gear than reverse in the JK's manual transmission.
Therefore, first will have a little more holding power than reverse.

Always apply the parking brake, too. If it doesn't work, it should be troubleshot and fixed.
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Agree, first is 4.46 and reverse is 4.06 so first will hold a bit better....I always use first and eBrake, mine will hold on my 17 deg steep drive, but I do not leave it there, I park it level before leaving it.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

If I were you, I would install a permanent "bump" in the driveway just as a "belt and suspenders" solution. Better than finding out your vehicle rolled ino the street and caused an accident!
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBad View Post
If I were you, I would install a permanent "bump" in the driveway just as a "belt and suspenders" solution. Better than finding out your vehicle rolled ino the street and caused an accident!
Now that's a good idea. No need to mess with a chock, (at home, anyway).
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
gunny40
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok guys, first off you are all awesome for taking time to post some helpful solutions. Went to Jeep dealership and insisted on taking service manager for a ride to show him how the jeep will not "stay put" when parked in my drive. (facing up hill) by the way. Once we were on an incline, I put the jeep in first and turned off the ignition. It took a minute, but started rolling backwards a few inches at a time. Service manager stated he never saw this happen before. The ONLY thing he could come up with is that the clutch must be getting worn. I now have 22,352mi on the jeep. (However, I did buy it with 13,xxxmi on it. The previous owner traded it in cause she did not know how to drive a stick shift very well, and she bought an automatic wrangler.) Maybe she rode the clutch of tore it up while she had it. I say this cause the jeep has done this since I have owned it. Service manager told me that when I feel like I need to replace the clutch go with an after market clutch. He stated that some of the aftermarket clutches are much stronger and are about one third (1/3) the price of a factory clutch. He also told me that a shade tree mechanic should be able to install a clutch.
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny40 View Post
Ok guys, first off you are all awesome for taking time to post some helpful solutions. Went to Jeep dealership and insisted on taking service manager for a ride to show him how the jeep will not "stay put" when parked in my drive. (facing up hill) by the way. Once we were on an incline, I put the jeep in first and turned off the ignition. It took a minute, but started rolling backwards a few inches at a time. Service manager stated he never saw this happen before. The ONLY thing he could come up with is that the clutch must be getting worn. I now have 22,352mi on the jeep. (However, I did buy it with 13,xxxmi on it. The previous owner traded it in cause she did not know how to drive a stick shift very well, and she bought an automatic wrangler.) Maybe she rode the clutch of tore it up while she had it. I say this cause the jeep has done this since I have owned it. Service manager told me that when I feel like I need to replace the clutch go with an after market clutch. He stated that some of the aftermarket clutches are much stronger and are about one third (1/3) the price of a factory clutch. He also told me that a shade tree mechanic should be able to install a clutch.
Moving a foot at a time every 15 seconds or so as you describe, (or a few inches at a time as you describe later), indicates the engine is turning over, and is coming up on another compression stroke each time.
I'll bet if you put an index mark on the crank pulley, you will see it in a different location each time the Jeep moves. A mark on the serpentine belt may be easier to do.

If the clutch was slipping when parked, you would notice it not grabbing well when you try to take off from a stop.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.