Could a guy just buy a Diesel TJ in Mexico or Canada and register it here? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Could a guy just buy a Diesel TJ in Mexico or Canada and register it here?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
jlj3394

Could a guy just buy a Diesel TJ in Mexico or Canada and register it here?

I know in KS we don't have to pass inspection. Just walk up and hand the clerk your money.

Would this be possible?

Clerk: What type of vehicle?
Jeeper: 07 TJ
Clerk: How many cylanders?
Jeeper: 4

What do you think?

jlj3394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
yucatanstan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thats a good question. I can tell you from the oppostie side of things, its a huge pain in the butt to bring a car from the US to Mexico and get it nationalized and registered here. Theres all kinds of crazy laws that are in constant flux.

I also wouldn't recommend buying from a Mexican dealer either. They dont offer the same incentives you get in the US, they are not particularly interested in bargaining either, especially for Jeeps. They tend to have little to no stock, if you want a Jeep you pay full price and have to order it and wait. Although they have tons of Libertys on hand. We have 4 Jeep dealers here in my city that I know of and none have ever had a TJ on the lot. I went to ask about them and if you don't know exactly what you want, forget about it. No floor models, no test drives. Plus models and options are different here. For TJ's theres only SE, X and Rubi. No Sport. No Unlimiteds either, they were never offered here. Ive never seen one in person anywhere down here, and I'd love to.

I'm waiting to see if they offer the 4 door JK down here, its entirely possible that they don't. I would love a diesel though, you can get it at every gas station in the country, although I have no idea about the quality of the fuel, its probably filthy crap.
yucatanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI, diesel TJ's aren't available in Canada..........all we have are the 2.4L and the 4.0L gas engines just like you American folks.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
03jeeper78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj3394
I know in KS we don't have to pass inspection. Just walk up and hand the clerk your money.
Would this be possible?
Clerk: How many cylanders?
Jeeper: 4

What do you think?
It'd go more like this:

Clerk: The computer doesn't show a "TJ" model in '07
Jeeper: *runs away and drives back to Mexico*

On a more serious note, it's a major pain and very expensive to get a vehicle built for a foreign country registered to be street legal in the U.S... at least from overseas it is. Maybe it's easier from Canada or Mexico, but most likely it wouldn't be worth the time/cost.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
StraightToPlaid

From Canada it's not so hard, the cars are usually US spec. My boss is from there and knew a bunch of guys that would buy big trucks, F350's and stuff like that, a few years ago when gas was cheap, drive them around 6 months, then drive down to Arizona and sell them. The trucks sold for alot less up in Canada so they could make money off the deal and always have a new truck.

However, they had to hold on to them for 6 months before selling them in the US. I guess if they did that they didn't have to treat it legally like they were doing an import business to turn a profit. There was some stupid regulation.
StraightToPlaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #6
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So Canada too will get the diesel wrangler?
zband is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.