Cost for Winch Intall? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cost for Winch Intall?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Adam123
2009 JK Wrangler 

Cost for Winch Intall?

I'm new on here and just wondered if anyone could give and average of how much it should cost to get a winch install? My bumper already has a plate for the winch so w/o any removal of the bumper or install of a plate.

Thanks

Adam123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
PGH_JEEP
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't pay anyone to install your winch, it would be a waste of money. It's 2 wires from the winch to the battery, the red one is power the black is the ground. It'll take 20 minutes to do and you'll be glad you didn't pay someone.
PGH_JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH_JEEP View Post
Don't pay anyone to install your winch, it would be a waste of money. It's 2 wires from the winch to the battery, the red one is power the black is the ground. It'll take 20 minutes to do and you'll be glad you didn't pay someone.
^listen to this guy
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hint: be careful to watch where you put the wires. Make sure they are away from the fan and exhaust. Then fasten them down with tie-ties...
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
B52dude
1999 TJ Wrangler 

DO IT YO' SELF, FOO!!! <--Sorry, I get a little weird when I see people about to throw away money on something they can easily do themselves. Its no harder than changing the battery.
B52dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget to put a fuse in the power wire. I didn't...I am going to but I didn't even think about it until almost a year after I put the winch in.

Four bolts and 2 wires. You can't screw it up.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
Coilrod

It is very easy if there is room. With some bumpers it is easier to remove the bumper and premount the winch. Adds about an hour and you get to use a jack and jackstands if you do it solo.
Coilrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
JkFuriousd
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You can't screw it up.
famous last words!
Unread 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Word of caution incase you have an Optima battery with side posts. Do not install the winch cables to the side posts, as they are not made to handle the amp load. Also if you need longer cables for the install itís much cheaper and better to get welding cable of the appropriate size.

Even though installing a winch is pretty straightforward, it can be a bit intimidating for the first time and if youíre not mechanically inclined. I would highly recommend that you find someone who knows about such things and will guide you through the process.

Donít for one-minute think that youíre a wimp if you seek help. For some here on the forum itís just second nature to them and canít understand why anyone would have reservations. Done wrong or doing a hack job could be disastrous. There is much more to it than just 4 bolts and two wires. Good luck.
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Adam123
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for all the input I think I would be capable of doing it, but the problem is I bent my bumper, the plate is level and supposedly it should still work perfect with a winch and I needed that fixed, that's not something I want to mess with and the 4wheel shop I went to said they would fix it and install the winch at no extra cost it would be $130 for install. What do you think I should do? Its bent were the cable would go through.
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #11
Adam123
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just want to make sure you know I'm not an idiot haha I am very capable of installing anything on my jeep, just not welding steel. So what I was asking was what the price should be because I wanted to make sure I wasn't being over charged as I have no idea what labor charges should be, so is 130 the right price for an install?
Thank you again in advance, everyone on here seems to be very helpful.
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Off topic slightly, can a winch be installed on a stock bumper?
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

gimme a 6 pack and ill do it... im movin out there in a month tho....

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
Adam123
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacK87 View Post
Off topic slightly, can a winch be installed on a stock bumper?
If you get something like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/12114_020_07.htm
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
Adam123
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYJ View Post
gimme a 6 pack and ill do it... im movin out there in a month tho....
Haha I'd take that deal if you were coming out sooner. I've got time off and I'm trying to get out onto a few trails but not w/o all my recovery gear on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.