Cost of 30,000 mile service - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cost of 30,000 mile service

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
ncnurseally
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cost of 30,000 mile service

I have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X which will be due for the 30,000 mile service in June. When I was at the dealership today getting my oil changed they quoted me around 750 dollars for the upcoming service. I realized after I left that what they had quoted me included 4WD service which I don't need (please don't hate me for not getting 4WD) so the cost should be less I suppose. Has anyone else had the 30,000 mile service done and is this price reasonable? It seems sort of high to me but since I have never had a car that needed this particular service done I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks for the help!

ncnurseally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnurseally View Post
I have a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X which will be due for the 30,000 mile service in June. When I was at the dealership today getting my oil changed they quoted me around 750 dollars for the upcoming service. I realized after I left that what they had quoted me included 4WD service which I don't need (please don't hate me for not getting 4WD) so the cost should be less I suppose. Has anyone else had the 30,000 mile service done and is this price reasonable? It seems sort of high to me but since I have never had a car that needed this particular service done I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks for the help!
Well- it all depends on how much you're willing to do yourself.

Change the engine oil and engine oil filter, if not replaced at 3 months.
Rotate the tires.
Inspect the engine air filter element, replace if necessary.
Inspect the PCV Valve, and replace if necessary.
Inspect the brake linings.
Drain and refill the front and rear axle fluid.
Inspect the manual transmission fluid, add as necessary.
Inspect the transfer case fluid, add if necessary.
Clean and lubricate soft top zippers (if equipped).

Nothing there warrants $700. And what would likely happen is that the dealer would "find" problems that need fixed. So the $700 would just be a starting point, and probably end up with $1000 being the end result.

All of that could be done in your garage in an afternoon, except the PCV Valve. Just depends one whether you want to do the work, or have it done.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
alpinistaustin1
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree with N2rock. The hardest thing is the differential fluid (which you would only need the rear). It is only because it is under the vehicle. Also transfer case is not applicable. The actual act of changing out the diff fluid is easy! One drain plug, one fill plug. Easy as pie. Air filter, easy as pie. Most everything else is just checking levels, and for a new car, you shouldn't have to worry about the PCV valve or brakes yet. If you have never been one to do anything to your car. Ask a friend. The labor for all this stuff is worth a pizza and a six pack, not much more. Seriously. $700... no way.

Find a friend, buy engine oil, diff oil etc, buy pizza and beer. Get a little greasy on a Friday night. Feel good you are working on your own jeep. Stick it to the dealer by doing work yourself. And come out for under $100! That is what I am talking about.

Austin
alpinistaustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinistaustin1 View Post
I agree with N2rock. The hardest thing is the differential fluid (which you would only need the rear). It is only because it is under the vehicle. Also transfer case is not applicable. The actual act of changing out the diff fluid is easy! One drain plug, one fill plug. Easy as pie. Air filter, easy as pie. Most everything else is just checking levels, and for a new car, you shouldn't have to worry about the PCV valve or brakes yet. If you have never been one to do anything to your car. Ask a friend. The labor for all this stuff is worth a pizza and a six pack, not much more. Seriously. $700... no way.

Find a friend, buy engine oil, diff oil etc, buy pizza and beer. Get a little greasy on a Friday night. Feel good you are working on your own jeep. Stick it to the dealer by doing work yourself. And come out for under $100! That is what I am talking about.

Austin
We certainly think alike!

I suppose all of that shade-tree maintenance is just another aspect of "it's a Jeep thing"

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
liquids
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinistaustin1 View Post
...And come out for under $100! That is what I am talking about.
Isn't the air filter half of that? I haven't been paying too much attention in here lately, but I thought that aftermarket availability of that was scarce and overpriced.

Cheers,

Have Fun Out There.
Jeep
liquids is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquids View Post
Isn't the air filter half of that? I haven't been paying too much attention in here lately, but I thought that aftermarket availability of that was scarce and overpriced.

Cheers,
got mine at Auto Zone for under $20 (don't remember the exact price, but it was in stock and cheap)

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
alpinistaustin1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Autozone:
STP $21.99
Fram $23.99

Now that JK wranglers are in their 3rd year of production, more and more parts are available.
alpinistaustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

What they said and just save your receipts in case you need your warranty in the next 6000 miles, and if should ever want to sell your Jeep it's nice to see when you buy a used vehicle that someone took the time to document their maintenance.
Unread 03-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Bayrat
2014 JK Wrangler 

Unless things have changed at stealerships, it is my understanding that fluid checks are part of the oil and filter change. At least they are at the Jiffy Lube type places. As for changing the differential fluid, that sounds as though it is a $600 job after deducting $50 for a tire rotation, brake and PCV inspection.
Bayrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
ncnurseally
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the advice! The thought of doing all of that myself makes me a little nervous. The closest thing to working on my own vehicle that I have ever come is checking the oil level and adding wiper fluid. I guess since I have plenty of time before it needs to be done I will do a little research on how to do that stuff by myself and also look around to see if I can find somewhere cheaper to have it done.

Thanks again!
ncnurseally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
RabidUmpaLumpa
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you for the advice! The thought of doing all of that myself makes me a little nervous. The closest thing to working on my own vehicle that I have ever come is checking the oil level and adding wiper fluid. I guess since I have plenty of time before it needs to be done I will do a little research on how to do that stuff by myself and also look around to see if I can find somewhere cheaper to have it done.

Thanks again!
Got a local gear head at work or a neighbor that could walk you though it? Like others have said, all it takes is pizza and beer!!! Hell I wish my neighbors would ask for my help and offer food!!!
RabidUmpaLumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks again!

When I bought my JK (July '07) I was like you- I had never done any work on any cars I had owned previously. Now I have been involved in 5 lifts, and countless other installs/projects. And I've come to realize that there is no mystery to this stuff. It's all pretty simple, and people on this forum can help with their individual knowledge and with providing links to how-to write ups. Take the time- you'll appreciate it when you're done. And you'll know more about your vehicle.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
toyota4x405
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have had 2 other 4x4's and a BMW. The first 4x4, I put on the lift, body lift, grill guard, winch, lights, and plenty of other stuff on by myself. The other 4x4, everything was already done. And the BMW, I paid a lot of money for it. Now, that I don't have any of them anymore, I miss the first one more than the others. It was the cheapest, but I put my heart and soul in it. With my new Jeep, I will do absolutely everything myself because you hae a greater appreciation for it in the long run.
toyota4x405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #14
RabidUmpaLumpa
2007 JK Wrangler 

Also a word of very valuable advise......if it takes a LOT of pressure or if you have to force something on....STOP and look and double check everything you are doing to make sure nothing is wrong. Its a lot cheaper to stop and take the time to find out whats going on than break a part and then have to order it. while you try to hitch a ride with someone while your daily driver is sitting in the drive way waiting for parts.
RabidUmpaLumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

axle fluid

I'm in the same boat I know how to do everything except the axle fluid any advise is welcome and needed to keep that 700 for future mods.
aztec_doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.