Considering trading in for a new JK.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Considering trading in for a new JK..

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 03-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
2ksaharawhite
2007 JK Wrangler 

Considering trading in for a new JK..

Hey guys,
I am looking into trading my 2000 Sahara for a new Jeep JK. I JUST broke 100k miles, but I think it's getting about time to move on.
I have not been at all rough on her, or gone offroading (other than some slow trips through PA woods, running through fields, etc.). I've always easy on the engine, and taken good care in tuning and oiling. However, in the last 15-20k miles I've replaced the radiator, some plumbing, and other misc parts totalling somewhere over $1k. My girlfriend's family owns a dealership, and my father has several Jeep clients, so I have a couple 'ins' to get a deal on a new Wrangler. Suprisingly, it looks like I get get a fair trade-in value for my 2000.
I'm 24, out of school for about a year now, and lucky enough to be an analyst for one of the largest real estate firms on the planet. Naturally, I don't have a large savings yet, but I'm not living on my own, either. So I'm not concerning myself with apartment/electric/water bills. I will be taking out a loan for the larger chunk, but I need a little support from my folks with the money-down.
I've also considered being much more practical and conservative, and buying a Toyota Corolla S, but I'm fairly certain I will need 4x4 in the winter here (NJ/PA). I thought about a new Tacoma (no real use for a pickup, though), Rav4, Liberty... but I just don't think I can part with the open-top summer fun/freedom of a Wrangler. It's somewhere deep inside me, and I know I'd kick myself if I parted with it for a Libby. Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Libby's. My girlfriend has a nice limited ed., but I have more complaints about them than I do praises. I guess I'm stuck in my ways, that's what being spoiled with a Wrangler at a young age will do to you. Funny thing is, in my neighborhood alone I know of 6 or 7 YJ & TJ owners, 3 or 4 are younger than I am.
Right now it all depends on two things; what my parents will loan me upfront, and what my girlfriend can trade for at her dealership. Today she found a 2dr rescue-green X (probably my fav color), but its in upstate NY, and doesn't look like its still available. My g/f was gently hinting at the flame red Ruby they do have in stock, but I don't want to pay an additional $85+ a month for 5 years!
I think the X (S package) is a good compromise; I can get the 6-cyl, hard and soft tops, P245/75R16 tires with allum wheels, cruise (lot of highway driving to see my g/f!), and the fog lamps/tow hooks are a nice touch. I won't be doing heavy lifting, so I don't need the Ruby features, nor the Sahara.
Too bad there aren't any rebates out there on the JK right now. I looked at the Libby cost after rebates, but again I need that top off in the summer, and something I am going to be happy with (since I don't have to live check-to-check I have that option).
Last comment: my g/f said she'll be sharing my debt in a couple years, so I better be happy with what I get! (She's the best!)
What are your thoughts on my situation? Any suggestions? Please chime in!!
Thanks,
Jonathan

pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/308180195/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpl3k/34007629/
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/jpl3k/Jeep/

Sitting around: 1965 CJ-5A (chassis, engine, tranny, and wheels).
2ksaharawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Get a place of your own first. Keep the TJ alive as long as possible because it's still cheaper than a new vehicle. Just think, the money you would spend on a JK could count towards a downpayment on a house. You're in real estate, you should know better. Maybe do a few upgrades to the TJ to make it feel new again.
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Looking at your pictures, it's a clean ride, but maybe a lift and bigger tires are in order. Maybe you could even spring for some wheels that are black with a touch of chrome or polished aluminum.
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
2ksaharawhite
2007 JK Wrangler 

Prot: Thanks for the input, but I hoping for some more!!
BTW: I should have mentioned, I work for a commercial RE firm, and the house I will be living in -in a couple years- has been purchased already by my g/f.

The decision has been made. I have been able to get a fair trade-in value for my 2000 TJ Sahara, and a superb deal on a new Rubicon 6spd (Red Rock)!
Quick pic, more to come in the next few days.

-Jonathan
Sitting around: 1965 CJ-5A (chassis, engine, tranny, and wheels).
2ksaharawhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.