Cons of regearing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cons of regearing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
12Htownsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

With that being said 5.13s would work fine for me even though my driving is mostly hwy? I often drive mine between 75-80 mph and I feel safe doing it. The jeep seems plenty stable even with my 35s and lift. Overall I just don't want to "overgear" myself in an attempt to gain a few Mpgs. I'm getting 15-16 now but would love to see some 18s or so.

Unread 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

In a 2012 wrangler with automatic and the 3.6L Pentastar motor, 5:13's are going to be too low of a gear (numerically higher) and you'll be running 3000+ RPMs on the highway with 35" tires.

Another source from the FAQ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...lator-1298121/ Which shows you engine rpm, speed and in which gear. Overdrive numbers (highway) are on the bottom row.

You can download an excel chart and play with the numbers. I still say 4:1 or 4:56 to keep your motor in a good efficient range for both power and best MPG.

Keep in mind, you're driving a brick on wheels. I would say 16MPG is fairly decent given you already have 35's. Best way to increase that is to take your 75-80MPH and drop it to 65-70MPH and enjoy the ride
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Existence
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have just had 4:88's installed on my 3.6 with 37's. I could not find any definitive information on ratios for the 3.6's only speculation so I took a chance.

After driving it for a few hundred miles I would run 4:88's with 35's and jump to 5:13's for 37's. Although one would have to take our altitude into consideration, 6000ft above sea level sucks power.

At 75Mph I am sitting at just over 3000rpm (Yes, that is our legal speed limit on freeways ) which is under stock if I remember correctly.
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The way my 12 Sport Auto feels 5.13 would be overkill on 35s with it - pure genocide with the stick! And I love gears!
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

You really need to listen to your fellow '12 drivers. Its a whole different ballgame with the rest of us. I don't regret my 5.13s, but my 2 door is ungodly heavy and I have the 3.8. I would think your 80+ more horsepower would lead you to 4.88s or so. (Though in my case I still bounce between 14 and 16mpg. But I am geared for power not top end)

5.13s for you seem suited for bigger, heavier tires than you plan on running. But once again, refer to my first sentence.
Rancho 4" Sport Suspension * Rancho RS9000XL Shocks * Rancho Front LCA Skids * EVO Rear LCA Skids * Yukon 5.13 Gears * Spartan Lockers * Groundpounder Fab Custom Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier * Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper * Warn VR8000 Winch * KC Apollo Series Fog Lights * KC Daylighter driving lights * Rampage Step Bars * Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers * Synergy D30 Sleeve * Synergy Inner C Gussets * Syngery HD Ball Joints * Synergy High Clearance Chromoly Tie Rod * Synergy High Steer Drag Link * JKS Monster Track bar * JKS Quick Disconnects * Rough Country Track Bar Relocation Bracket * RocKrawler High Clearance Front LCAs * Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Covers * Reid Racing Knuckles * Black Rock 909s Wheels * Monstalined Interior * Cobra 75wx w/ CoolTech Mounts * Skid Row Engine Skid * Skid Row Evap Canister Skid * B&M Auxiliary Transmission Cooler * Tom Woods Driveshafts * Superchips * Viair 2on2 Onboard Air * Mopar Cruise Control * Ace Tubular Fenders * Fox Racing Steering Stab & Bracket * Bestop Soft Doors * MBRP Rock Crawler Exhaust * WarmSeats
Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club Member #104
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.