Cons of regearing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cons of regearing

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
12Htownsahara
2012 JK Wrangler 

With that being said 5.13s would work fine for me even though my driving is mostly hwy? I often drive mine between 75-80 mph and I feel safe doing it. The jeep seems plenty stable even with my 35s and lift. Overall I just don't want to "overgear" myself in an attempt to gain a few Mpgs. I'm getting 15-16 now but would love to see some 18s or so.

Unread 09-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #17
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

In a 2012 wrangler with automatic and the 3.6L Pentastar motor, 5:13's are going to be too low of a gear (numerically higher) and you'll be running 3000+ RPMs on the highway with 35" tires.

Another source from the FAQ: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...lator-1298121/ Which shows you engine rpm, speed and in which gear. Overdrive numbers (highway) are on the bottom row.

You can download an excel chart and play with the numbers. I still say 4:1 or 4:56 to keep your motor in a good efficient range for both power and best MPG.

Keep in mind, you're driving a brick on wheels. I would say 16MPG is fairly decent given you already have 35's. Best way to increase that is to take your 75-80MPH and drop it to 65-70MPH and enjoy the ride
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Existence
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have just had 4:88's installed on my 3.6 with 37's. I could not find any definitive information on ratios for the 3.6's only speculation so I took a chance.

After driving it for a few hundred miles I would run 4:88's with 35's and jump to 5:13's for 37's. Although one would have to take our altitude into consideration, 6000ft above sea level sucks power.

At 75Mph I am sitting at just over 3000rpm (Yes, that is our legal speed limit on freeways ) which is under stock if I remember correctly.
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The way my 12 Sport Auto feels 5.13 would be overkill on 35s with it - pure genocide with the stick! And I love gears!
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

You really need to listen to your fellow '12 drivers. Its a whole different ballgame with the rest of us. I don't regret my 5.13s, but my 2 door is ungodly heavy and I have the 3.8. I would think your 80+ more horsepower would lead you to 4.88s or so. (Though in my case I still bounce between 14 and 16mpg. But I am geared for power not top end)

5.13s for you seem suited for bigger, heavier tires than you plan on running. But once again, refer to my first sentence.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.