Confusion about towing - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Confusion about towing

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #31
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

As bad as the performance of the 3.8 ltr is just pulling the JKU around, I can't imagine how bad and unsafe it would be taking on an additional 3500lbs. The Wrangler is just not made to tow. You should buy something that is. The Jeep isn't it.

Unread 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
rayder1

I towed my bass boat, tackle, luggage and 1 or 2 passengers all over the state with the inline 6 '87 YJ perfect, maybe a little slow in the mountains. I don't know if people here are expecting F350 performance, but you are towing with a relatively low torque gas engine. My manual tranny held out fine for years....and this was a crappy model year.

Tow to capacity. Have brakes on the trailer if 3000# or more. Use turn outs and stop for gas a lot. That's all you should expect with a class 2 equipped jeep with 4: plus gear ratio. If you are less than 4:10 you shouldn't tow because you are going to lug like you had twice the weight on. It'll still work, just a lot slower.

Exceed the tow capacity and you will have severe handling issues.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #33
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

^+1, If your performance sucks while towing, it's gear ratio, plain and simple. You want to be in the green of the gear charts, if you want balls with 3000+# be in the blue. It's rated to pull 3500# in the US, more in other counties.

Don't use marginal equipment! Have good brakes and tires on the jeep and trailer, good brake controller, safety chains, breakaway kit on trailer. properly distributed load with 10-15% of the weight on the tongue not exceeding 350#. Use a truck stop weight station to make sure. If the rear of the jeep is sagging get a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway.

Loaded and towing your tires air pressure needs to increase vs. unloaded around town, chalk test.

finally it's a brick on wheels pulling a brick, MPG will suck

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #34
Downwindtracker

That's good advice. How ever from experience ,trailer brakes are very important.

Blue wire, trailer brakes I think, but check your Podigy brake controller instructions.

For hills, gear down, and be patient.
Downwindtracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #35
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
... Have good brakes and tires on the jeep and trailer, good brake controller.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtracker View Post
That's good advice. How ever from experience ,trailer brakes are very important.

Blue wire, trailer brakes I think, but check your Podigy brake controller instructions.

For hills, gear down, and be patient.
I Agree!

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #36
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

IMAG0036 by duneslider, on Flickr

I pull a 10ft popup with mine and it pulls great. I think the max weight is around 2700lbs. I am sure I am close to that when loaded and then I have stuff in the back of the jeep and 3 kids. Trailer brakes are a must. I did have 33's and 4.10's and it was pretty good. I usually got about 15-16mpg pulling with OD off and keeping speeds to 65 max. With trailer brakes it seems to stop just as good as when I am not pulling a trailer. I have no issues pulling this weight and the mountains are plenty steep here. I am not going 65 up the mountain passes though!

A transmission cooler is a must though, up the really steep passes the transmission is getting pretty warm even with a cooler.

I have pulled my utility trailer without brakes with a weight of 3500-3700lbs (just a short distance near my house) and that was a very uncomfortable few minutes, I would not want to do it on the highway or for a long distance.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #37
ColoradoTravler
2011 JK Wrangler 

After 1800 miles on the road with our R Pod travel trailer we are convinced towing can be a good experience with a Jeep Wrangler if it is set up properly. Check out our reply to a question about R Pod we posted earlier.
ColoradoTravler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.