Confusion about towing - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Confusion about towing

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 07-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #16
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

found this website that gives summaries of trailer brake laws by state

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

and then, if you click on the state's name, it hyper-links you to another page giving more info for that state. Here is the Mo. info page linked from the above link as an example:

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/category/...laws/missouri/

Thought it might help others wondering [I live on the MO/IL border so need to know both states' laws].

john

Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
mrangelo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
A popup is a fine choice. I towed one for years, the big ones can still get up there in weight. the trailer will have brakes, but you need to add the controller to your jeep that will signal the trailer when to apply the brakes. The anti-sway hitch attaches to the trailer.

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...ID=1655&part=0

we decide to go with a PopUp BUT after research for one with toilet and shower (womens...) im also close to the 3,500. We make a reservation to rent one the next week, is a Viking 2407 and the company told me that is 2,400 pounds because have A/C, well, after make my calculations with all stuff, food, water, tent, chairs, Tank Full if Gas, etc i have 3,400 pounds, in other words im 100pounds down, i hope this is not a big deal and is safe. I already installed a class 2 hitch and im waiting to receive in this days the 7 pin plug to install it. The next week i will know how is the felling to drive this and i hope everything works great and relax because this is the only option with everyone here is happy. (actually, i don't found many of this models or with shower and toilet)

if i decide buy one after test it for sure i will install the sway control and upgrade the brakes for the best choice. Im in Colorado and thanks to "Deuskid" that put the link of the states laws about towing i found that here is obligated brakes after 3,000.
mrangelo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
mrangelo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Yup, just pull onto the scale (one axle per section) and push the call button. It'll cost you about $10. In the military, this is how you find out how much you're hauling if you're doing a DITY (do it yourself) move from one base to another...weigh without, weigh with stuff, submit both receipts (you get two copies each time you weigh) and get paid per lb/per mile. I crammed 600 lbs of stuff into my 2-dr last year.
thanks a lot, ill do
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

you should have put a class 3 hitch on
Your going to max out your class 2 hitch
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrangelo View Post
we decide to go with a PopUp BUT after research for one with toilet and shower (womens...) im also close to the 3,500. We make a reservation to rent one the next week, is a Viking 2407 and the company told me that is 2,400 pounds because have A/C, well, after make my calculations with all stuff, food, water, tent, chairs, Tank Full if Gas, etc i have 3,400 pounds, in other words im 100pounds down, i hope this is not a big deal and is safe. I already installed a class 2 hitch and im waiting to receive in this days the 7 pin plug to install it. The next week i will know how is the felling to drive this and i hope everything works great and relax because this is the only option with everyone here is happy. (actually, i don't found many of this models or with shower and toilet)

if i decide buy one after test it for sure i will install the sway control and upgrade the brakes for the best choice. Im in Colorado and thanks to "Deuskid" that put the link of the states laws about towing i found that here is obligated brakes after 3,000.
Good luck and enjoy, technically/legally you need a brake controller for that rental. It is not based on the actual weight of the current load, it is based on the potential weight and according to the viking site that trailer has a GVWR of 3481.

Here is a 3400# popup I used tow behind my LJ.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

We used to own a Coleman popup with a toilet and shower and as I recall it was just under 2800 lb...sold it off about 15 yrs back...might want to look into a Coleman though.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #22
mrangelo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Good luck and enjoy, technically/legally you need a brake controller for that rental. It is not based on the actual weight of the current load, it is based on the potential weight and according to the viking site that trailer has a GVWR of 3481.

Here is a 3400# popup I used tow behind my LJ.
wow, you carry a 3400 pop up, have given me encouragement, well, im in between the Viking 2407 (2200 pounds) (is old and i dont find one in CO) , Starcraft Comet 1226 (expensive, round 12k) Coleman Niagara ( i like it a lot but is 3100 pounds and the Starcraft Comet 1221 (awesome, our needs in 1,820 pounds but no one carry for sale in CO)

i continue making research,
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
mrangelo
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey guys, yesterday i receive the Mopar 7 contacts harnes and i installed today (very hard with the poor instructions) (desintructions) from Mopar (just images, not explanations) and i think that i installed everything good but my concern is about what i do with the blue cable inside the cabin? the harness have connection to one back stop light and positive and negative from the batt but one cable (blue color) go thru inside the cabin but the poor instructions dont say anything about this cable. I imagine that this cable is the "electric brakes trigger" but where i need to connect it? i need another part for this like a brake controller or something? Im worried about what i need to do with this cable and if i need it connected for my rent in the next days.

thanks in advance.
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't want to miss lead you or anybody else reading this. Yes it is doable with practice and the right equipment. Practice and get the feel of it before tackling a highway at rush hour. The first time I had to drive in rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic, through construction on 294 leaving Chicago was a very stressful event, now it's no big deal. Remember I have upgraded brakes in the jeep and Prodigy brake controller for the trailer I also added weight distribution hitch with anti-sway. You will know it's back there and can feel it if it starts swaying. Before getting anti-sway I would need stop the trailer from swaying by using the manual button on the controller enough times to cause me to invest in the anti-sway.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #25
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just tried towing in my JK Unlimited I bought a Cargo Trailer that weighed 1,500lbs dry. I had E-brakes and Over sized Trany Cooler put in my jeep and my MPG was around 10MPG so your gas milleage is not going to be great and 0 power. I just went out and picked up a new truck the JEEP had to go sad to say it is definitely not made to tow.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #26
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrangelo View Post
hey guys, yesterday i receive the Mopar 7 contacts harnes and i installed today (very hard with the poor instructions) (desintructions) from Mopar (just images, not explanations) and i think that i installed everything good but my concern is about what i do with the blue cable inside the cabin? the harness have connection to one back stop light and positive and negative from the batt but one cable (blue color) go thru inside the cabin but the poor instructions dont say anything about this cable. I imagine that this cable is the "electric brakes trigger" but where i need to connect it? i need another part for this like a brake controller or something? Im worried about what i need to do with this cable and if i need it connected for my rent in the next days.

thanks in advance.
This is what I used when I had my cheap install was just as easy as they showed on the video.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...eid=2011214561
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
Unread 07-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #27
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
I just tried towing in my JK Unlimited I bought a Cargo Trailer that weighed 1,500lbs dry. I had E-brakes and Over sized Trany Cooler put in my jeep and my MPG was around 10MPG so your gas milleage is not going to be great and 0 power. I just went out and picked up a new truck the JEEP had to go sad to say it is definitely not made to tow.
what are the dimensions of your cargo trailer? how big was/were the load[s] you were hauling?

Thanks,

john
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #28
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
True if your primary use case is a great tow vehicle, then the jeep is not the best choice. however if your primary use case is, well, a jeep, then yes it can also tow.

Unread 07-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #29
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^^ I understand this I bought my Jeep because of the great off-road capabilities since I love to hunt. I also love my Harley's and it was just disappointing that a JEEP couldn't even tow 1,500lbs of an Empty 7x12 Single axle trailer.
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #30
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
what are the dimensions of your cargo trailer? how big was/were the load[s] you were hauling?

Thanks,

john
It was a 7x12 Single Axel Cargo trailer EMPTY towing 1,500 actually a little less have yet to hit the scale with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.