Common Problems with JK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Common Problems with JK

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 11-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #16
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong

To the guy who commented about the british cars: I have my GB stickers on my VW.... is that why I have a cronic check engine light? LOL.
-Mark
Who was born in the UK

Do you know why the English drink their beer warm?

Because their refrigerators are made by Smiths.

Cheers

tennistom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 04:58 AM   #17
UTAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong
Do the soft tops come with Full metal doors on the 4-door model?
Yes. And due to the improved aerodynamics, my JK is as quiet inside as my Grand Cherokee on the freeway.

Bill
Unread 12-01-2006, 05:48 AM   #18
Poor Boy
All Around Nice Guy

2007 JK Wrangler 

they all come with full hard doors now. half doors is an option...that requires side impact airbags (that would be a riot with the doors off )
Feed my girlfriend.

Follow my girlfriend

Brew what you drink, drink what you brew

USN Hull number 54
Poor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #19
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba
You experience is at odds with that of the consumer research agencies.

There are twice as many defects and recalls in the intial quality of the first year production vehicles. Though they are still quite good in absolute numbers, so you it quite more likely then not that you would not hit anything to worry about.
Please post the statistics, along with a link for verification, to support what you claim. Also, please post the DCX service stats.

This urban myth you're promoting has been disproved, at least for most Jeep vehicles. When you post the figures, you'll see that First Model Year Jeeps actually experience fewer repairs, defects and recalls than following years.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostship
Please post the statistics, along with a link for verification, to support what you claim. Also, please post the DCX service stats.

This urban myth you're promoting has been disproved, at least for most Jeep vehicles. When you post the figures, you'll see that First Model Year Jeeps actually experience fewer repairs, defects and recalls than following years.

Quote:
George Owens, manager of product research at J.D. Power and Associates:
"Historically, redesigned models pose challenges to even the most quality focused manufacturers,"
You can browse historical data yourself. I am not going to do that for you and I am not going to argue with a smartass.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

We here in Californie ain't much into discussin' facts and figures, we too busy competing with Arkansas for last place in the edumacation dept. I gettin' my Phd in Eng from UC Berkely.
tennistom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #22
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

its not an urban myth, its true that first year model are most troublesome, but that also doesnt mean that everybody has trouble with theirs.

disproved with most jeep vehicles? The 97 TJs were some of the worst in quality

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #23
Diesel0312

Knock on wood, but mine has been perfect so far. Still only had it about a month and around 1600 miles.
Diesel0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #24
Laxstar46

^^^^ i have a 97 jeeep that i bought used and it was one of those first model years and really i havnt had any problems. Only things ive had to fix were regualar maintence. water pump at 90k stabilizer bar links at 95k. that's about it o and a wheel bearing at 88k miles
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #25
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTAH
Yes. And due to the improved aerodynamics, my JK is as quiet inside as my Grand Cherokee on the freeway.
I thought that it was really quiet. I chalket it up to a factory exhaust, but that is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1
Do you know why the English drink their beer warm?
Because their refrigerators are made by Smiths.
I thought that it was lucas

Ghostship:
Just out of curiosity, (I see you live in michigan). How much for a limited 4x4 with a 6-speed? (Basically a base 4x4 unlimited 4-door)

Around here (in the cleveland, ohio area) they're around $22,600 (as described above), but I know that my daughter's mom and her husband got a steal of a deal on one of the chrystler minivan thingies because they drove to michigan and that is where they are made. Just curious because my wife went to college in michigan and it would be a good excuse to visit her campus and to get a big discount on a car that we want.

Or what is a zip code in michigan I can check for myself.....
Thanks a million.
-Mark
Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #26
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

I am wondering that with the demand and the hiring the "part-time" employees to help keep up with the demand...are they going to be slapping them together with the help of lesser experienced employees and if this will contribute to more problems with the JK's
DShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 02:03 PM   #27
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshizzle2005
I am wondering that with the demand and the hiring the "part-time" employees to help keep up with the demand...are they going to be slapping them together with the help of lesser experienced employees and if this will contribute to more problems with the JK's
I don't want to belittle anyone here, but I'm in the machine building field (well I used to work for a company (who has since gone out of business) that manufactures vertical lathes, and now I retrofit and modernize machines to the latest CNC spec... needless to say I deal with 2nd teir suppliers to the automotive industry) and I feel that as long as the assembly process is well engineered and the quality control is properly monitored that you have little to worry about.

Most of the build is automated, and what isn't automated such as torquing a bolt is done with a certified tool, there are gauges to check the parts, tools and finished products. I would have confidence in buying a new car. Assembly isn't exactly rocket science, and just think about how many muscle cars and big rock crawlers have been put together while there is a group of guys with a LOT of beer (ie: shade tree mechanic sort of stuff) I wouldn't worry about DCX not taking care to have competent employees. Thats's why all the car companies are involved in the QS9000, 9001, etc programs. It's to ensure that things get done by the book, new employee or old.

I'm looking forward to purchasing my Jeep and am optimistic that it will be in great shape when I get it.
-mark
Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #28
drojk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshizzle2005

Do you really think it is difficult to hire experienced auto factory works right now??? I know of 38,000 applicants coming over from Ford...
drojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2006, 06:59 AM   #29
DShizzle
My daughter is SAXON

That shows how much I know about the automobile manufacturing business....I am in the concrete business (i.e. smimming pool decks)...Thanks for clearing that up
DShizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2006, 09:31 AM   #30
JK2BJeep3
2007 JK Wrangler 

3500 miles so far JK Unlimited Sahara. Have had a couple hiccups actually. Electrical system blinked on me one day while driving - lights dimmed, radio died, speedometer, etc. shut down and then all came right back on (all idiot lights came on) then everything went back to normal. I mentioned it to the dealer at my oil change and they check battery connections but everything seemed fine. Couple days ago the ESP/BAS light came on but I hadn't touched the ESP off button. Hit the button, and it the light went off, seems normal now....
JK2BJeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.