Common Problems with JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Common Problems with JK

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #1
fraynes1

Common Problems with JK

I am a newbie to the jeep and was and am concerned with a "first" production of anything. Just bought Unlimited X last Friday, am very happy with it.

Have seen some problems referred to but not in any detail.

Have heard it leaks oil; if so where; also problems with the paint, what is the problem. Are there remedies to fix any of these problems by the factory? Are there any other problems that I need to watch for?

I am not mechanically inclined so dumbing down responses would be great.

Thanks in advance. Like I said before very happy with the Unlimited X, just want to watch for any problems now or in the future.

fraynes1

fraynes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

I havn't seen anything about leaking oil so figure it was an isolated problem. I used to drive English sports cars alot before they all rusted away. They all leaked oil--in a modern vehicle that would be a quaint throw-back for me and would remind me of all the exciteing driving experiences I had in my MG's, Healeys and Mini-coopers, especially putitng out fires under the dash without having to pull over, always kept a leather jacket handy for snuffing flames.

There was a lenghty thread here about paint issues around the door hinges, with pictures. My concerns on that one were somewhat allayed when someone mentioned other parts of heeps have primer only like the tub floor and underneath.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, that's what bondo is for. And the nice thing about Jeeps is if the door hnges ever completely rust through and the doors fall off people will just think you're way cool especially in a blizzard, then just drop the windshield, get some goggles, put an English flag decal on it and all the English sports guys will wave too, while they're stopped by the side of the road with their hoods up waiting for their engines to cool-off when ambient temps soared into the high 60's F.

Cheers Mate.
tt
tennistom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #3
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The oil leak was from either around the main rear, and/or around the oil filter bracket.

The Freedom top has also been a source of many complaints due to it leaking water when it rains all over the dash

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
fraynes1

I haven't had any leaking problems, knock on wood

I have noticed a small whistle or squeak from the front of the freedom top when I hit the 50-70 km/h mark.

When I told people I was buying this vehicle I had a lot of nay sayers, I did do some research, just don't want the I told you so's if there are numerous problems.

Thanks fraynes1
Unread 11-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #5
doojer

I haven't had any problems with oil leaks. The only issue I have spotted on my Sahara is the paint situation. There is some paint missing behind the hinges and cowls of the JKs (some more than others)-- it's pretty faint on mine. But yes, I do expect DC to fix it (rust or not, don't you think almost 30k warrants a full coat of paint?).

Other than that, my JK is rockin'
[B][URL="http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9"]2007 JK Unlimited Sahara[/URL][/B] - [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Jeep Green[/B][/COLOR], Auto, 4:10, D30 front/D44 rear, RockCrusher Diff Covers
doojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the JKs also havent been out that long yet for "common problems" to show up, give it a few years

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
josh182j

My black sahara has no leaks and the paint missing is very faint around mine also. I did have a little leak with the freedom top but i just tightened the screws in the crossbar and havn't had a problem since. Other then that i'm very pleased with the capability of this jeep.
josh182j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Donkeykong

I'm a bit skeptical about the hard top option.

You always hear about leaking T-Tops, and I wouldn't want to deal with that kind of a problem.

I think that I'll be simply getting the soft top.

Do the soft tops come with Full metal doors on the 4-door model?

To the guy who commented about the british cars: I have my GB stickers on my VW.... is that why I have a cronic check engine light? LOL.
-Mark
Who was born in the UK
Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hope the"oil leak problem" wasn't from my pic when i got mine . . . .cause that was oil left by my CJ!!!!

no probs of any kind here.
Unread 11-30-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
dbsjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am missing the light under the hood, just have wires hanging down. You can see primer around the back of the door hinges and the bottom of the front door seem to stick out too much. Have not had a chance to discuss with the dealer yet.
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
FinallyJO

My purchase of the '07 Unlimited is the third first year production new vehicle I have purchased in the past twelve years, and the two before this Jeep are still the best running cars I have ever owned, even after 140,000+ miles. In my experience, the fear of "bugs to be worked out of new models", is outdated and not applicable to today's modern vehicles. Although I have only put 900 miles on my JK Unlimited X, like my two cars before it, I haven't experienced a single probelm with it (knock on wood). If you break it in right and maintain it, your Jeep will run as well as any that are produced in the following years, and maybe better, as later models may be built with lesser quality products to save DCX more costs. BTW, my JK is silver, so I don't even have the alleged paint issue on the hinges.
FinallyJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
doojer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyJO
BTW, my JK is silver, so I don't even have the alleged paint issue on the hinges.
Yes you do, you just can't see it.

Seriously, even with my Jeep Green one it wasn't very noticeable at first... but if you go to any dealer you'll see it behind the hinges of every JK
[B][URL="http://my.project-jk.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=9"]2007 JK Unlimited Sahara[/URL][/B] - [COLOR="DarkGreen"][B]Jeep Green[/B][/COLOR], Auto, 4:10, D30 front/D44 rear, RockCrusher Diff Covers
doojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyJO
In my experience, the fear of "bugs to be worked out of new models", is outdated and not applicable to today's modern vehicles.
You experience is at odds with that of the consumer research agencies.

There are twice as many defects and recalls in the intial quality of the first year production vehicles. Though they are still quite good in absolute numbers, so you it quite more likely then not that you would not hit anything to worry about.
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 08:31 PM   #14
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

the top leaks a bit but if you put it on right it doesnt, mine leaked form the dealer but after i took the front panels off and re-installed them it was fine, you have to drop the top panel down from the top, not slide it on. and there were some problems with oil leaks but dealer should fix w/no questions, and make sure the front top peices dont have holes in them from over tight thumb screws that go thru the roll bar
Unread 11-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
fraynes1

Where are these oil leaks referred to?

If it leaks will it leak enough to see it on the pavement or do I have to go looking for it?

fraynes1

ps Beer MonkeY does the slogan in your signature "Every time you call a Jeep a car God kills a kitten" come as a decal? I like it!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.