Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cold Air Intake Systems

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Kyoseki 
#1 ·
Whats your opinon on the many many systems around? Ive always installed the K&N systems in my prior Jeeps, but of course that isnt avalible just yet for the JK and I'm not so sure its the best.

#4 ·
Modshack said:
With a little creativity you can make your own for little $$

I'm on version 2...More pics at the link below
Thats hott. I suppose your right I did graduate with a degree in engineering (just not mechanincal) one would think I could make something like that. Do you see a vast improvement in air flow? Have you had other intake systems? And how does this creation rank with other intake systems youve had in the past?

#5 ·
This is actually version 2.5...:) Seems to flow really well...If you look below you'll see the Velocity stack style inlet I added to the picture above. The cannister has insulation in it, so the heat is reduced. i currently have an Apexi dry filter in there, but tried a K&N as well in another system not shown. This one seems to work best from a sound and flow standpoint. I did the chip and exhaust at the same time so it's hard to quantify the filter itself. I have a few designs out there for other cars, so i have a little experience (but no engineering degree!)

#7 ·
Modshack said:
This is actually version 2.5...:) Seems to flow really well...If you look below you'll see the Velocity stack style inlet I added to the picture above. The cannister has insulation in it, so the heat is reduced. i currently have an Apexi dry filter in there, but tried a K&N as well in another system not shown. This one seems to work best from a sound and flow standpoint. I did the chip and exhaust at the same time so it's hard to quantify the filter itself. I have a few designs out there for other cars, so i have a little experience (but no engineering degree!)
Your design looks incredible. Would you be willing to give me a parts list that you typically used for your intake projects? I would love to build this thing myself and maybe "engineer" a few changes also.

#8 ·
I desided to say screw it to engineering a custom system and desided to buy the Airaid system. We'll see how it well it works soon.

#9 ·
redrom01 said:
I desided to say screw it to engineering a custom system and desided to buy the Airaid system. We'll see how it well it works soon.
I installed mine yesterday, boy, what a difference in pick-up. I don't know about gas mileage, have not tested that yet.

Wasting to much gas getting the Jeep warm. :rolleyes:

#10 ·
Egmont said:
I installed mine yesterday, boy, what a difference in pick-up. I don't know about gas mileage, have not tested that yet.
Hi Egmont,

Which system did you install, cost, reseller? Are there any negatives to installing one of these?

Thanks,
Matt

#11 ·
Matthew Davis said:
Hi Egmont,

Which system did you install, cost, reseller? Are there any negatives to installing one of these?

Thanks,
Matt
I used the Airaid system and got it from Quadratec for $224.99 plus 19.91 shipping.

It took me less then an hour removing the old and installing the new. It really is very simple and the instruction are great, text and photos.

As for the negatives, I don't know of any and the engine sounds great, has a nice roooooaaaar now.:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: At least I can hear an engine now.

#12 ·
Hell yeah. I cant wait to get mine. Should be here on Friday.

#13 ·
Job Complete

Job Complete:
Great Sound
Great Performance
So easy my roommates cats could have installed it.

Attachments

#15 ·
The intake tube is made of plastic just like the K&N intake tube that I had in my '95 XJ. One thing I really like about this kit is that the metal housing around the filter has a full bottom piece to it which will help protect from any water getting sucked up into the intake.

#16 ·
redrom01 said:
The intake tube is made of plastic just like the K&N intake tube that I had in my '95 XJ. One thing I really like about this kit is that the metal housing around the filter has a full bottom piece to it which will help protect from any water getting sucked up into the intake.
did you add a chip and exhaust? like the AIR RAID system but i think i might wait and add all 3 at the same time.

#17 ·
xBADTRIPx said:
did you add a chip and exhaust? like the AIR RAID system but i think i might wait and add all 3 at the same time.
Havent added either yet. I'll most certinly add a Flowmaster exhaust at some point in the near future. As for the chip....I may never get to that considering that you have to use premium gas, but ya never know I may do it at some point.

#18 ·
redrom01 said:
Havent added either yet. I'll most certinly add a Flowmaster exhaust at some point in the near future. As for the chip....I may never get to that considering that you have to use premium gas, but ya never know I may do it at some point.
You only have to use premium gas with stage 2, stage 1 I believe still uses 87.

I'm still trying to decide which chip to go with, it'd be nice to see performance (inc. mpg) figures for both stages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.