Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Coilover Shock Boom Boom Rattle, Help Please!

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  AftonJeeper 
#1 ·
After nearly 2 months of rebuilding, I picked up my 2015 JKU from a shop today and discovered that the King 2.0 "x12" Coilover Shocks with remote reservoir, springs & comp adjuster make a loud banging noise underneath the rear body of my Jeep. Every time there is the slightest bump on the pavement or a change in momentum it sounds like a piece of metal is loose, and dangling against the bottom of the body. The shop owner/mechanic tells me that this is the coil "spacer" banging against the shock cylinder, which in turn is connected to a bolted on transverse spreader that is attached to the body. It is connected right beneath the floor depression that houses the big 'boombox' bass speaker that Chrysler still installed in 2015. I understand that recent models don't have this floor depression. The shop owner/mechanic tells me to: "drive it on a trail....., the sound may get better after the parts get broken in." Frankly, I think they'll just bang louder. There has to be a solution; how would you like driving along with the sound of banging metal against a steel drum in your ear? (that's as close as I can come to describing the sound) It is very loud, very resonant and not the least bit pleasant!

#4 ·
This guy is right but first make them fix what they f***ed up. Post up some pics, might be able to tell what they did wrong.

:OffTopic:
I really want to see this build thread.
Xlr8n
1967 JK Wrangler
Tell me you took a JK frame and a Camaro body and there should be an LS or Hemi involved...

#3 ·
Sounds like something is hitting the tub. I had one bolt that when going over a bump just right the body mounts would compress enough that the bolt hit the tub and it sounded like the whole back of the Jeep got blown off! Look and feel around all of the hardware under the tub. If there is any frame mounted hardware that is an inch or less from the tub it will hit.
I don't think the "transverse spreader" you speak of is attached to the body. It should be attached to the frame and is probably close enough to the body/tub to hit.

#7 ·
Clarification Update: I have driven the vehicle for a couple of weeks or so. I have determined that all of the noise is coming from the left rear shock. My mechanic (only because I'm not one) still believes that there is nothing wrong with this particular shock. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that my left rear shock is a lemon and should be replaced. However, a set of four expensive German shock separators has been ordered and received by my mechanic. Now I'm waiting on shop time for installation. It is thought that these more expensive separators will probably eliminate the "pounding on empty oil drum with rubber hammer" syndrome. I called the King Shock Company. A fellow there named Dane wants me to record the sound, take pictures, and send them both to him for evaluation.

After reading this update does anyone have any pearls of wisdom to throw my way? Hopefully someone who has experienced this type of problem with King 2.0 Coilover Shocks can weigh in. Please.:|

#8 ·
Any way you could post a pic? I like seeing how other people set things up.

I've never set up coil overs because I hear it is expensive to get correct. My guess is one of two things are happening.

Suction cavitation in the coil over.

Wrong spring and or load on the spring allowing one of the two springs to unload completely and clunk upon reseating.

But I don't mess with things that are overly complicated...

Is he charging you for the "shock separators"?

#9 ·
I Several days ago (more than a week), I posted 8 or 9 pictures, but not of the shock. There seems to be a Jeep Forum rule about the length of time before pictures are released to the public.

Yes, I will be responsible to pay for the new German sliders.:crying2:

#10 ·
So he sold you and installed for you some very expensive coil overs and now he is charging you to fix his mistakes?

Wish I could get away with that...

I'd send your pic's and recording to Dane at King and find a polite way to tell they mechanic goodbye.

As a lifetime supporter you should be able to post pics now. That rule only applies to non paying members.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.