Coil Lift vs BB - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil Lift vs BB

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 04-30-2010, 08:18 AM   #46
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
a stock suspension will max out disco'd with proper shocks and a bb. you will not get more flex from just adding springs if the rest of the suspension is stock.
Umm... It is pretty much assumed that anyone dropping in larger coils knows to also switch to longer shocks and other necessary mods... It would be pretty ignorant/stupid to just install taller coils.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #47
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is turning into a fracas, isn't it?

I added bumpers and winch that sagged me and my 33's rubbed. I substituted just the springs from an Unlimited w/tow package, got enough spring, got rid of the sag, and gained about 1/4" in height from bone stock.

But I kept bumping my butt on departures and high-centering from time to time. Needed a lift.

Because I felt that my spring rate was just about perfect for the weight I carry (including towing my trailer), I didn't want to take a chance with springs and got the Teraflex puck lift, with shocks, bumpstop extensions, etc; it works great ------ but I've seen first hand that it doesn't have the same range as a full spring lift. It's close enough for where I wheel.

Bottom line:
I have enough spring. The Teraflex shocks are better than stock but I've driven some Bilsteins that blow them away. I'll probably drive this for a couple of years and then install OME springs and Billies for the shocks.

Pucks and spacers do affect spring rate by preloading the suspension; the right sort of damper is pretty essential after that and I think that shock extensions are bad. I also think that pucks are bad unless you have enough spring to start with ------- and I'll strongly argue that JKs come both undersprung and underdamped from the factory.

all my humble opinion, of course.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #48
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
BB- pro= doesn't change the ride. Feels same as stock
con= does not have as much articulation as coil lift

Coils- just flip the above around pro/con

Adj trackbar- you are correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
WOW!! We NEVER disagree

my OME coils and BDS shocks ride way better than stock.
We didn't disagreement this time either . I never said a BB would ride "better". I just said it would keep the stock feel.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:25 AM   #49
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Umm... It is pretty much assumed that anyone dropping in larger coils knows to also switch to longer shocks and other necessary mods... It would be pretty ignorant/stupid to just install taller coils.
tell that to the rest of these guys...... the same goes with pucks, you still need shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #50
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
right there you admit you had improper shocks. what does this pic prove other than the fact you have an improperly set up suspension with the wrong shocks?........
not disagreeing with you... if you recall me saying many of us should be running with limit straps because almost alway the only thing limiting a JK suspension is the shocks. I'm not endorsing that phot - I'm just showing how limited my JK was with stock shocks vs +2" shocks. Even still, my shocks limit my flex.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #51
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not disagreeing with you... if you recall me saying many of us should be running with limit straps because almost alway the only thing limiting a JK suspension is the shocks. I'm not endorsing that phot - I'm just showing how limited my JK was with stock shocks vs +2" shocks. Even still, my shocks limit my flex.
another fine example of an inproperly set up suspension.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #52
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
right there you admit you had improper shocks. what does this pic prove other than the fact you have an improperly set up suspension with the wrong shocks?........
not disagreeing with you... if you recall me saying, many of us should be running with limit straps because almost always the only thing limiting a JK suspension is the shocks. I'm not endorsing that photo - I'm just showing how limited my JK was with stock shocks vs +2" shocks. Even still, my shocks limit my flex.

I just did a 2" BB on an '05 TJ Rubi 2 weeks ago and NEEDED a spring compressor to get the pucks in with the shocks and sway bar disco'd. The short TJ arms wouldn't come CLOSE to dropping far enough. I could take my OME coils (4" taller than stock) out of my JK in 15 minutes by hand with just the shocks and SB disco'd.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #53
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
another fine example of an inproperly set up suspension.
are you that ignorant? ... did I not say anything about limit straps?
I've been wheeling the p!ss out my JK with the shocks limiting flex for 60K miles and have had zero issues. Improper or not.

You should send your concern to EVERY lift manufacturer on the planet making JK lifts because apparently none of them are concerned. As all JK lifts are pretty much limited by shock travel.
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #54
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Proper Articulation

Bottom line, for proper flex and articulation, you need extended shocks whether you have coils or pucks. I get that fully. In regards to ride, is the coil over ride just stiffer than the BB? I still think coil is the way to go for my riding style, which is what a lot of this boils down to (except the ext. shocks bit....you HAVE to have those or you'll be limited by your shock extension, which on OEM or standard would be shorter than what you want if you REALLY want flex).

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #55
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
are you that ignorant? ... did I not say anything about limit straps?
I've been wheeling the p!ss out my JK with the shocks limiting flex for 60K miles and have had zero issues. Improper or not.

You should send your concern to EVERY lift manufacturer on the planet making JK lifts because apparently none of them are concerned. As all JK lifts are pretty much limited by shock travel.
i didnt say it would ruin it...... your making an arguement that yours could be better cause you know how to do it with no proof. fact is my bb tj flexes better than your coiled jk cause i did mine the right way to gain the max with what i worked with. proof in pics. all i said was a bb is fine and will work well when properly done with a 2 inch and under lift.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by jeepinmichguy_; 04-30-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #56
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen251 View Post
Bottom line, for proper flex and articulation, you need extended shocks whether you have coils or pucks. I get that fully. In regards to ride, is the coil over ride just stiffer than the BB? I still think coil is the way to go for my riding style, which is what a lot of this boils down to (except the ext. shocks bit....you HAVE to have those or you'll be limited by your shock extension, which on OEM or standard would be shorter than what you want if you REALLY want flex).
the bb maintains a factory ride for the most part if you dont get el cheapo shocks with it. with springs and shocks its the same way, you pretty much get what you pay for there for on road driving. i have never been the one to care what the on road ride was like, you will have to ask some of these other guys that have more experience with that.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #57
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i didnt say it would ruin it......
so what's the problem?

"could be better with no proof" what the hell does that mean?

The proof is that I could put 6" travel shocks on and blow the doors off a stock-armed TJ, but THAT would be improper because I'd be bottoming out on the shocks.

Break out the calculus - how is it possible that a TJ and a JK - shocks aside, can have the same flex limit when the TJ arms are half the length?
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #58
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Stock

2.5" BB (with proper bumpstops and shocks)

2.5" RC coils (with proper shocks)

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #59
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
not disagreeing with you... if you recall me saying, many of us should be running with limit straps because almost always the only thing limiting a JK suspension is the shocks. I'm not endorsing that photo - I'm just showing how limited my JK was with stock shocks vs +2" shocks. Even still, my shocks limit my flex.

I just did a 2" BB on an '05 TJ Rubi 2 weeks ago and NEEDED a spring compressor to get the pucks in with the shocks and sway bar disco'd. The short TJ arms wouldn't come CLOSE to dropping far enough. I could take my OME coils (4" taller than stock) out of my JK in 15 minutes by hand with just the shocks and SB disco'd.
tj stock arm will drop aroud 14-16 inches, plenty to pull the spring without a compressor if on a lift doing it safely. i use compressors cause i do it flat on the ground in the garage. now your just telling fishing tales about tj's.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:05 AM   #60
ihbond
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
definantly not a true statment unless you go with a bigger than 2.5-3 in lift and replace the control arms.

dont stack spacers.
A couple of Les Schwabb dealers said these spacers could be stacked and, Not saying this is wright or wrong, just wondering why ? If need to take them off and use 2.5 I will...
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.