Coil Lift vs BB - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil Lift vs BB

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #31
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Explain to me how a BB spacer has a spring rate?
it doesnt, but if you add a 2 inch spacer that doesnt compress, and 2 inches of additional bumpstop that doesnt compress. you are back to stock compression right? i dont understand how this is so hard to comprehend for you. im not trying to be ignorant i am having a hard time thinking of a better way to explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #32
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
well then...
i knew there was a reason i dont hang in the jk forum much.
SAYS THE GUY WITH FLAMES PAINTED ON HIS HOOD

then don't hang out here.
Coming from someone who OWNS a JK that once had a BB with stock shocks, a BB with 2" shocks, and a 3" coil lift. MY claim is that there is a HUGE difference in every category.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #33
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
it doesnt, but if you add a 2 inch spacer that doesnt compress, and 2 inches of additional bumpstop that doesnt compress. you are back to stock compression right? i dont understand how this is so hard to comprehend for you. im not trying to be ignorant i am having a hard time thinking of a better way to explain it.
he is right on this... My BB (with stock shocks) had zero benefit other than it sat higher. Over a bumpy road, it felt pretty close to stock.

When I went to the BDS shocks, ride improved tremendously and articulation increased because the shocks had more range. However the weak factory springs couldn't hold up the bumpers and winch, so I lost half the spacer height. OME coils gave me back that height plus more, but the bottom end of the flex is STILL limited by my shocks.

So if you asked me ...my #1 knock on a BB is the factory springs being to weak to keep ride height on anything more than stock weight. If I never added the weight, I'd still be on my pucks. So if you're in the lift market and think you want to add anything that will increase weight, a BB will probably disappoint you.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #34
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post

then don't hang out here.
Coming from someone who OWNS a JK that once had a BB with stock shocks, a BB with 2" shocks, and a 3" coil lift. MY claim is that there is a HUGE difference in every category.
pics to prove it then, i pm'd deep sky who has our pics on the same rock so we can hopefully get those posted but you telling me does no justice when i have seen it first hand. i understand how a suspension works and it doesnt sound to me like you really do, you just read a bunch of posts on jeep forum and claimed it as your own knowledge which is not the way to do it. i can max out the flex on both tj's with a bb and extended shocks so i dont understand how you can go farther than the max with coils....... explain that one to me?

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #35
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

your right, stock suspension's dont flex.... this is with a 2 inch bb and 31's so all stock flexing here, its the wifes. it wasnt maxed out, maxed out with that bs on the rims folded the fenders up front. that is with 2 inch bump stop extentions as well. im waiting for the rock pics as i said between the 4 door sa jk on 35's and my bb tj on 33's. i definantly made it higher and rick was pretty mad..... stock suspensions do well when with a bb and when they are set up properly you can max them out.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #36
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

A budget boost is not as good as a lift with new coils and new shocks. You're substituting spacers and extensions for the real deal. jeepinmichguy, if you want to run a BB that's cool with me. I don't want the OP to get wrong information. If he want's the best performance, he needs coils and springs. Nice Jeep, BTW. I like Yellow.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #37
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
your right, stock suspension's dont flex.... this is with a 2 inch bb and 31's so all stock flexing here, its the wifes. it wasnt maxed out, maxed out with that bs on the rims folded the fenders up front. that is with 2 inch bump stop extentions as well. im waiting for the rock pics as i said between the 4 door sa jk on 35's and my bb tj on 33's. i definantly made it higher and rick was pretty mad..... stock suspensions do well when with a bb and when they are set up properly you can max them out.

Dude, those are 31's ...a JK on stock suspension with a 2" BB can stuff and stretch that much with 33's ...MAYBE even 35's. Not sure what you're trying to prove here?
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #38
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A budget boost is not as good as a lift with new coils and new shocks. You're substituting spacers and extensions for the real deal. jeepinmichguy, if you want to run a BB that's cool with me. I don't want the OP to get wrong information. If he want's the best performance, he needs coils and springs. Nice Jeep, BTW. I like Yellow.
its not a "bad" lift when 2 inches or under, if you go any higher use coils and replace all uca's and lca's. your not gaining any off road benifit with a stock suspension and either 2 inch coils or 2 inch spaces. all i am saying is both will max out at the same point. if the op was asking about a 3.5 lift and up i would suggest a full suspesion lift coils and all but he didnt he asked about a 2 inch which a bb will do just as well as a coil.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #39
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you go with springs it the lift will have addressed the rake issue. I have a Warn 9.5ti with a hoop and metal bumper. It was sagging significantly in the front. Post TF lift it was perfect. Thus, another advantage of going with springs.
Almost every BB out there addresses the rake. They usually put 2.5 in the front and 2 in the rear. You get exactly the height they advertise not an extra inch you may not want, or you may not have bought the additional parts for. If I ever upgrade I would probably go to OME, but I don't like how all you get is springs and shocks which is not complete if it nets 3 to 3 1/2" of lift. Thankfully we have this forum so people can get an idea of what a lift will actually net them in height given several other variables. You buy a BB you get the height of the pucks. PERIOD.
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #40
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

this is a 3" coil lift with 2" longer shocks nearly maxed out. Those are 34's ...if these were 31's, they'd look like donuts.

Same Jeep with just a BB on stock shocks ...not even CLOSE. Not even mentioning there's no weight of doors or back seat.

Last edited by tricked919; 04-30-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #41
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dude, those are 31's ...a JK on stock suspension with a 2" BB can stuff and stretch that much with 33's ...MAYBE even 35's. Not sure what you're trying to prove here?
that the stock suspension flexed with pucks, you just stated above it didint. and btw your really making it sould like you have no clue.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #42
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this is a 3" coil lift with 2" longer shocks nearly maxed out. Those are 34's ...if these were 31's, they'd look like donuts.
here is a bb, 1.5 in bl and 33's.... mines flexing better and you say yours is maxed out??? i just proved my point. mines not maxed yet. btw my rock is bigger......

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #43
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceparn View Post
If I ever upgrade I would probably go to OME, but I don't like how all you get is springs and shocks which is not complete if it nets 3 to 3 1/2" of lift. .
I was afraid of the exact same thing, but I can vouch 40K VERY hard miles with lots and lots of wheeling later that even with a 2-dr, I've had ZERO drivability or driveline issues. I counted on buying new shafts and CA's ...even track bars and I've yet to find any need for any of those. Everything so far has been a MAJOR improvement and has only yielded benefits. Worth every nickel.
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #44
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Same Jeep with just a BB on stock shocks ...not even CLOSE. Not even mentioning there's no weight of doors or back seat.
right there you admit you had improper shocks. what does this pic prove other than the fact you have an improperly set up suspension with the wrong shocks?........

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #45
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't see what that has to do with anything...

Quote:
its not a "bad" lift when 2 inches or under, if you go any higher use coils and replace all uca's and lca's. your not gaining any off road benifit with a stock suspension and either 2 inch coils or 2 inch spaces. all i am saying is both will max out at the same point. if the op was asking about a 3.5 lift and up i would suggest a full suspesion lift coils and all but he didnt he asked about a 2 inch which a bb will do just as well as a coil.
Sticking with the original topic of this thread I think this pretty much sums it up. When I saw michguy's Jeep flex in person it made me seriously wish I would have just went with the BB instead of the 2.5 coil lift on my wife's TJ. I don't have the comparison pics here at work, but I gotta say that seeing the BB work in person made me a serious believer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.