Coil Lift vs BB - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil Lift vs BB

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-30-2010, 06:03 AM   #16
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
The only problem that I see in "maxing out" a BB'd suspension is that at full compression the springs will be beyond their point of full return!
Without the use of extended bump-stops (which will limit the full potential) you will quickly ruin your springs!!
Aftermarket lift springs will allow the full range of motion without the need for additional limiting devices!
Now if the lift is in place to provide space for larger tires then the extended bump-stops will be needed anyway.
It all depends on the individual goals and requirements of the end user.
a decent bb lift will come with bumpstops, if not you can buy them alone. you should never run a lift of any sort without the correct length bumpstops. i figured it was common sense. the after market spring doesnt not mean you dont need bumpstops...... by adding bigger lift and bigger tires, lack of bumpstops can possibly damage the jeep on full stuff of the tires. i am speaking from experience. remember a 2.5 inch coil is going to compress more than a stock coil with a 2 inch spacer on it (the spacer stays a 2 inch spacer) with the stock bumpstop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.

Last edited by jeepinmichguy_; 04-30-2010 at 06:18 AM..
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:05 AM   #17
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Depends on what type of wheeling you're going to do. Are you going to be climbing over rocks or just parking stops at the mall? My wheeling has been forest roads in GA and the BB has served me well. Not sure I'll be doing much else for a whle.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #18
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
I agree, my Jeep rides exactly the same as it did stock. If you just want it to look cool go BB. If you want more off-road capability get springs.
It's definitely not just for looks....i enjoy my wheelin getaways when I get them! I am going to upgrade bumpers (front w/ winch), skids, etc. I guess my other thought is if I go coil, then get good solid aftermarket bumper with winch, I may need to put a spacer in the front to avoid the rake.

Sounds like coil is the way to go....thx fellas.

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #19
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
WOW!! We NEVER disagree
my OME coils and BDS shocks ride way better than stock. Getting rid of my BB was a huge improvement in ride and articulation. When disco'd my coil lift flexes better than the BB did because the BB used stock shocks which limit travel. If you don't extend bump stops, any 2" lift w/ shocks will articulate better just from longer throw shocks.
like i said, correct shocks are needed. your coils wont flex better that stock with all the stock arms, they will max at the same spot.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #20
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree, my Jeep rides exactly the same as it did stock. If you just want it to look cool go BB. If you want more off-road capability get springs.
definantly not a true statment unless you go with a bigger than 2.5-3 in lift and replace the control arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihbond View Post
I went with the 2" BB and added a rampage bumper with Custom fit Roadmaster brackets for towing. Front dropped about 5/8 inch without any Winch on it. I decided I liked the ride and decided on beefier\stiffer monotube shocks (help keep those shoes on the ground on the downhill) and another 1/2 spacer in front to as my next place of reference. Little more rigid, but I think it gives me a good place to start and for me it was cheaper.
dont stack spacers.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #21
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
That's because all lifts (springs) are not created equal. OME is a quality base.
Some spring rates are wrong, some shocks are underdamped or just plain bad, some parts are made from old cheeeeeze.

First and foremost, you have to have enough spring and enough shock. Then add the rest.
VERY GOOD point ...I've ridden in 2 skyjacker JK's and they drove awful compared to the OME kit.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #22
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
like i said, correct shocks are needed. your coils wont flex better that stock with all the stock arms, they will max at the same spot.
But the max out drop point for the JK CA's are WELL below the bottom range of the shocks - even for 2-3" lift kits. If you undo shocks and swaybar links, a JK axle will fall far enough to get 3" lift coils without a spring compressor. The JK arms have WAY more radius than TJ' or any other 4-link set ups. In reality, many of us who wheel should probably be using limit straps.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #23
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Definitely not a true statement unless you go with a bigger than 2.5-3 in lift and replace the control arms.

Don"t stack spacers.
What's not true? That it rides stock or that you get more off road capability? I'll address both. It does ride just like stock. I can't tell a difference. As far as more off-road capability, any lift improves break-over angles and approach / departure angles. A 2.5 inch lift on a JK unlimited provides the same break-over angles as a stock 2 door. Finally, the articulation from my 2.5 inch lift with coils and springs is very impressive. I don't have any numbers to back it up but it definitely will droop much further than it did stock.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #24
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
But the max out point for my CA's are WELL below the bottom range of the shocks. If you undo shocks and swaybar links, a JK axle will fall far enough to get 3" lift coils without a spring compressor. The JK arms have WAY more radius than TJ' or any other 4-linkers. In reality, many of us who wheel should probably be using limit straps.
well then why does my swb tj with a bb have better flex than a buddy's 4 inch short armed 4 door jk??? i dont believe you as i have seen it first hand. hopefully he rears his head in this thread today. if you dont believe me pm him. user name is DeepSky. hes prolly got the pics to. his wife took em, i know that much. im just trying to help you guys out and let you know the reality of the jf bb flex myth. if your staying at 2 inches or below on a bb than your performance will be fine correctly set up and will not be outdone buy a coild spring unless the control arms are replaced. you cont wanna take my advice thats fine. i knew there was a reason i dont hang in the jk forum much.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #25
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What's not true? That it rides stock or that you get more off road capability? I'll address both. It does ride just like stock. I can't tell a difference. As far as more off-road capability, any lift improves break-over angles and approach / departure angles. A 2.5 inch lift on a JK unlimited provides the same break-over angles as a stock 2 door. Finally, the articulation from my 2.5 inch lift with coils and springs is very impressive. I don't have any numbers to back it up but it definitely will droop much further than it did stock.
see above post.... im talking off road not on road.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #26
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgen251 View Post
It's definitely not just for looks....i enjoy my wheelin getaways when I get them! I am going to upgrade bumpers (front w/ winch), skids, etc. I guess my other thought is if I go coil, then get good solid aftermarket bumper with winch, I may need to put a spacer in the front to avoid the rake.

Sounds like coil is the way to go....thx fellas.
If you go with springs it the lift will have addressed the rake issue. I have a Warn 9.5ti with a hoop and metal bumper. It was sagging significantly in the front. Post TF lift it was perfect. Thus, another advantage of going with springs.
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #27
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

We're not talking about TJ's we're talking about JK's. I can't speak for TJ's. It's impossible for a BB to flex more than a lift with new shocks and springs because the shocks just aren't long enough. You could use shock extenders but I hypothesize that you still won't get the same flex. The springs just don't droop as much . Plus the spring rates get all messed up under compression. Basically, a BB is half-assing it. That's why it's a *budget* boost. Not to mention he'll still need spacers to make up for the droop with the bumper and winch.
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #28
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you go with springs it the lift will have addressed the rake issue. I have a Warn 9.5ti with a hoop and metal bumper. It was sagging significantly in the front. Post TF lift it was perfect. Thus, another advantage of going with springs.
you can alway buy just the front springs later as well but i agree with you here.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #29
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We're not talking about TJ's we're talking about JK's. I can't speak for TJ's. It's impossible for a BB to flex more than a lift with new shocks and springs because the shocks just aren't long enough. You could use shock extenders but I hypothesize that you still won't get the same flex. The springs just don't droop as much . Plus the spring rates get all messed up under compression. Basically, a BB is half-assing it. That's why it's a *budget* boost. Not to mention he'll still need spacers to make up for the droop with the bumper and winch.
i said bb, with new shocks, bumpstops, and disco's. i would never recommend any lift without putting new shocks on. dont believe everything you read online. a bb will have no different compression then stock if you do a 2 in bb and 2 inch extended bumpstops. common sense there. your not messing up or half $%%ing anything, just doing it on the cheap. for a low suspension lift works very well. were talking about doing things correctly right?

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #30
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i said bb, with new shocks, bumpstops, and disco's. i would never recommend any lift without putting new shocks on. dont believe everything you read online. a bb will have no different compression then stock if you do a 2 in bb and 2 inch extended bumpstops. common sense there. your not messing up or half $%%ing anything, just doing it on the cheap. for a low suspension lift works very well. were talking about doing things correctly right?
Explain to me how a BB spacer has a spring rate?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.