Coil Lift vs BB - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Coil Lift vs BB

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Morgen251
2010 JK Wrangler 

Coil Lift vs BB

What do you guys think of these head to head? I'm looking at 2.5" of lift, and am thinking of going coil instead of BB.

What do you guys see of as the advantages/disadvantages of these?

Will the coil lift net a greater lift than 2.5"? I've heard many say they get 3"+ from this. I'm currently rolling 32's, but will bump up to 34's next set of shoes.

Adj track bar not necessary, but recommended, right?

BUILD:
Rubi Rocker Guards; 32" Mastercraft MTs; Teraflex 2.5" Coil Spring Lift; JKS Quick Discos; JKS Front & Rear Adj Trackbars; JKS Ex Rear Swaybar links; Zone Nitro Shocks; 1.5" Rough Country Wheel Spacers; Poison Spyder Evap Skid; Cobra 75WXST; 3' Firestick quick disco; Rugged Ridge XHD Fr Bumper; Tuffy Underseat Drawer; 6" KC Long Range Hilites; Superchips Flashpaq, Crown Extended brake lines

WISH LIST: Front LCAs, Winch, 6" KC Driving Lights, Deep Cycle Battery
Morgen251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

BB- pro= doesn't change the ride. Feels same as stock
con= does not have as much articulation as coil lift

Coils- just flip the above around pro/con

Adj trackbar- you are correct.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
boggle

If you plan on adding a bumper and winch go with coils, if not go with bb.
boggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think the answer might be what is your objective? Lift for lifts sake, looks - or off roading with more articulation and future mods in mind. Once you know what you want to do, that might offer a clearer answer...just my 2 cents.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I chose the RC BB as a stepping stone to the end product
It is a way to get the lift required to make all of the other modifications on my list without guessing the future spring requirements.
I am piecing things together and haven't added bumpers or winch and tire carrier. I have added Curry track-bars and next comes the Curry steering and CA's.
When everything is in order I will add the springs that best suit the weight distribution and lift needed.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

a stock suspension will max out disco'd with proper shocks and a bb. you will not get more flex from just adding springs if the rest of the suspension is stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
a stock suspension will max out disco'd with proper shocks and a bb. you will not get more flex from just adding springs if the rest of the suspension is stock.
Exactly! What he said.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The only problem that I see in "maxing out" a BB'd suspension is that at full compression the springs will be beyond their point of full return!
Without the use of extended bump-stops (which will limit the full potential) you will quickly ruin your springs!!
Aftermarket lift springs will allow the full range of motion without the need for additional limiting devices!
Now if the lift is in place to provide space for larger tires then the extended bump-stops will be needed anyway.
It all depends on the individual goals and requirements of the end user.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I wheel my BB (with factory bumpstops) pretty hard and it articulates very well and my springs have come back every time. I guess they may wear the springs a little more over time, but I'm at 44,000 miles and haven't had a single issue with springs or articulation. Time will tell, I have a set of Rubi take offs if I need them.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
TJorange
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Trying to get all of my information together too, what else do you need, I know shocks.
Unread 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
BB- pro= doesn't change the ride. Feels same as stock
con= does not have as much articulation as coil lift

Coils- just flip the above around pro/con

Adj trackbar- you are correct.
WOW!! We NEVER disagree
my OME coils and BDS shocks ride way better than stock. Getting rid of my BB was a huge improvement in ride and articulation. When disco'd my coil lift flexes better than the BB did because the BB used stock shocks which limit travel. If you don't extend bump stops, any 2" lift w/ shocks will articulate better just from longer throw shocks.
'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I think the answer might be what is your objective? Lift for lifts sake, looks - or off roading with more articulation and future mods in mind. Once you know what you want to do, that might offer a clearer answer...just my 2 cents.
What would you suggest for this situation:

Unlimited Rubicon that only sees off-road action one weekend a month.
33's are probably as big as the tires will ever go.
AEV front bumper coming soon, a winch in a few months, AEV rear bumper a few months after that.

Off-road action hasn't been even close to extreme yet, but I'm new to this. Forest service fire trail types of roads, mostly so far. One section has a steep, flat rock to climb, and I drag my rear bumper/toe hook every time. TJs with 33's and small lifts clear it fine. So that (and not raking too much more with bumper+winch) was why I wanted a lift...
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
WOW!! We NEVER disagree
my OME coils and BDS shocks ride way better than stock. Getting rid of my BB was a huge improvement in ride and articulation. When disco'd my coil lift flexes better than the BB did because the BB used stock shocks which limit travel. If you don't extend bump stops, any 2" lift w/ shocks will articulate better just from longer throw shocks.
I agree, my Jeep rides exactly the same as it did stock. If you just want it to look cool go BB. If you want more off-road capability get springs.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
ihbond
2010 JK Wrangler 

I went with the 2" BB and added a rampage bumper with Custom fit Roadmaster brackets for towing. Front dropped about 5/8 inch without any Winch on it. I decided I liked the ride and decided on beefier\stiffer monotube shocks (help keep those shoes on the ground on the downhill) and another 1/2 spacer in front to as my next place of reference. Little more rigid, but I think it gives me a good place to start and for me it was cheaper.
ihbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #15
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
WOW!! We NEVER disagree
my OME coils and BDS shocks ride way better than stock.
That's because all lifts (springs) are not created equal. OME is a quality base.
Some spring rates are wrong, some shocks are underdamped or just plain bad, some parts are made from old cheeeeeze.

First and foremost, you have to have enough spring and enough shock. Then add the rest.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.