Cobra 75 WX St Hand Held CB Install - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cobra 75 WX St Hand Held CB Install

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #16
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Interesting...they are so different in prices that I thought there had to be some noticeable difference

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
MrFish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehnmg View Post
Interesting...they are so different in prices that I thought there had to be some noticeable difference
Two of those are a Firestik 2's (FS), one of them is a Firestik Firefly (FL), which is the lighter weight version. Go to Firestik's web site to see more.

The FireRing is just a different way to attach the coax cable to the bottom of the chosen antenna. The FireRing'd cable exits sideways to allow for more mounting options, vs straight down. Some prefer it, some don't. Whichever cable end you choose will determine which style of antenna mounting post you need (standard PL259 jack or bolt+hole). Again, read Firestik's web site for a TON of info.

Regarding the antenna height vs garage, that kinda depends on where you mount it. I used the Cool Tech Ultramount to mount a 4' Firefly to the license plate housing, and it's still about 1" too tall for my garage door. If going for a tailgate mount, 3' is probably as long as you'll be able to go.
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Another good post...thanks for the continued feedback

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
Two of those are a Firestik 2's (FS), one of them is a Firestik Firefly (FL), which is the lighter weight version. Go to Firestik's web site to see more.

The FireRing is just a different way to attach the coax cable to the bottom of the chosen antenna. The FireRing'd cable exits sideways to allow for more mounting options, vs straight down. Some prefer it, some don't. Whichever cable end you choose will determine which style of antenna mounting post you need (standard PL259 jack or bolt+hole). Again, read Firestik's web site for a TON of info.

Regarding the antenna height vs garage, that kinda depends on where you mount it. I used the Cool Tech Ultramount to mount a 4' Firefly to the license plate housing, and it's still about 1" too tall for my garage door. If going for a tailgate mount, 3' is probably as long as you'll be able to go.

You are certainly right about a ton of info being on their website! I have been looking and was just wondering about something. If I want to hook up the Cobra 75 wx st, then here's everything I (think) I need...please feel free to correct me if I am wrong:

1. FireStik K-8A 18 foot single antenna coax cable (http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-K-8A-single-antenna-cable/dp/B000X3EPCI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I12MW8J31M2PCV&co lid=ROT6CUDR6D8)

2. Firestix Mini-Kit PL259 Installation (http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/mkpl-instl.htm)

3. Teraflex Mounting Antenna Bracket (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16180_000.htm?sgsc=GOOGLEFGFREEGRND&utm_medium=com pshop&utm_source=googlemerchant)

4. Firestix 3' FS Antenna (http://compare.ebay.com/like/360323428867?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y)

Well, I think that's about it, right? Is it worth it to also get this spring shock, too? (http://www.amazon.com/SPRING-SHOCK-SS-HD-UP/dp/B00042LC9M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1MG0BNUXWRQ6Z&co lid=ROT6CUDR6D8), If so, is there any special way to mount the spring shock?

Once again, thanks for everyone's help. I am getting excited about taking this project on.

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
MrFish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Personally, I'd opt for the pre-made cable and avoid soldering the end on your own.

IF you go with a PL259-ended cable, you're still missing the antenna stud from your shopping list. The stud is what mates the male-ended antenna to whatever cable end you have snaking out of the tailgate. You'll need a K-4A or similar (not K-4) to connect the antenna to the PL259-ended cable you've chosen:
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/K-4.htm

If you DON'T want to solder your own PL259 plug on the end of your cable, you can get a pre-made one, but trying to fit one of those big ends through various holes might be an issue. You could instead go for the 2-piece FireRing kit:
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/MU-8R18.htm

The removable end makes it easier to fit the cable through small openings, then just screw on the larger endcap when you get to the CB location.

If you get the FireRing-ended cable, you'll still need a stud, but the one above is for "regular" coax ends. In this case, you'll need to skip the K-4A antenna stud, and opt for the FireRing-compatible version:
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/k-4r.htm

In summary: Get your DIY cable and a K-4A stud.
-or-
Get a FireRing cable and its associated stud.

Otherwise, the antenna and Teraflex mount are very popular, you'll be fine.

Then again, one more note: Many folks have had issues getting good SWR readings when using any tailgate mount. The issue is likely that the tailgate hinge isn't solid metal-on-metal, so does not always provide a good ground to the Jeep chassis. The solution is to ground the antenna mount to the tailgate, then the gate to the chassis, though I've seen varying levels of success. You've been forewarned.
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #21
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wow...I am humbled once again!

I actually think that I understand everything you said, minus the ground info at the end. My understanding (which is not a very good one!) is that I needed to just hook the positive lead up and then ground the negative lead anywhere else...I figured that I would just ground it to the body inside the engine compartment by the battery. Is this not o.k.?

Thanks

Unread 03-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
MrFish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Everything I'm spouting off, I learned from the Firestik web site. 2 weeks ago. I've never had a CB before, this is my first. My point being, it's not nearly as complex as it seems now. I was in the same boat as you seem to be, and was <this> close to having a shop install the kit for me.

Now, though, I just look back and laugh. Those were the days.

Ahem, anyway ...

So we're talking about two different grounds here. You're referring to the electrical ground, or the negative power lead for the CB, and you're correct. Red to the battery, black to a nice shiny bolt somewhere on the body or chassis or bracket or something near the CB's control box.

I'm referring to the RF ground for the antenna. If your antenna isn't grounded to the body or chassis or bracket or something near the mount, things no workie. Standing waves, RF reflectivity, smoking CB transmitters, blah blah.

Once you get all the cables hooked up, plug in your trusty SWR meter ($15 from Frys or Radio shack) and check your readings. See http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/Setting_SWR.htm for how and why. If you're in the red after many (many many many) attempts at tuning the antenna tip, you likely need to ground the antenna/mount. There are a ton of threads here about grounding. If you're in the red, do NOT transmit with your radio (see 'smoking' above).

As for the install kit, though, I think you're on the right track.
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just finished my install. Very simple and located the receptacle under the trim piece passenger side and the junction box behind the panel. No drilling. You can see it peeking out which will be covered with a bit of carpet. I used the complete antenna kit from QT, a bit pricey but had everything included, so it made the install a piece of cake or pie if you like.
cb1.jpg  
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Excellent post...any chance you have a link to the QT antenna kit you were mentioning? Just curious and want to take a look!

BTW, with the junction box behind the passenger panel like that, is there plenty of cord on the hand held Cobra to get over to the driver?

How about the cb mount itself...if you mount that somewhere in the driver's side, does the cord go across the radio, etc, or is there enough slack for it to not be in the way?

Thanks!

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I mounted mine in the same place last weekend. Since I don't remove the handset I didn't worry about actually mounting the connector. Just ran the cable behind the center console and hooked it up and left it there. If I do need to remove it, it is simple just to pull the plastic cover off under the glove box and disconnect.

Plenty of cable to still use the handset from the drivers seat.
Unread 04-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #26
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Cool...Sounds good.

Anyone know of the QT antenna kit that was discussed 2 posts prior? Just curious and want to take a look!

As always, great forum and great feedback

Unread 04-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Cool...Sounds good.

Anyone know of the QT antenna kit that was discussed 2 posts prior? Just curious and want to take a look!

As always, great forum and great feedback

Unread 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

CoolTech also has some complete antenna systems!
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #29
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

let's get some links going!!! I am interested in these antenna packages

Found one: http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_gatemount.shtml

Unread 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #30
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you pick someone else's mounting bracket, CoolTech still offers their antenna wire kit where you don't have to solder the end piece onto the cable.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_firestik.shtml
screen-shot-2012-04-06-11.42.48-am.jpg  
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cb , cobra 75

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.