Cobra 75 WX St Hand Held CB Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cobra 75 WX St Hand Held CB Install

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Cobra 75 WX St Hand Held CB Install

Hello All,
I need some help guiding me on the install. I have never done an install before, especially electrics.

Therefore, I have some q's:
1. How do you run the wires to the batery through the firewall? Are there openings in it already, or do I need to drill (got any pics?)?

2. Are there any special instructions when hooking it up to the battery (ground, etc.)?

3. Right now I only have the Cobra 75 WX ST and the parts that came in the packaging. What else will I need to hook it up with a firestix antenna? Wiring? Mounting bracket? Quick Release?

4. I garage the Jeep, and there is not much room when I drive under the door. So I do not think that a 4' firestix will cut it, as it will be too high and prevent me from parking every night. I know that you can buy magnet antennas, but I was hoping to maybe use a 3' firestix with a disconnect to remove it when I garage the Jeep. Any ideas on the disconnect system or other alternatives?

Bascially, I am looking for a parts list and a "how to," especially regarding the garage issue.

As always, thanks for everyone's help.

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
jehnmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Assuming that nothing changed between 2007 and 2009 there should be a hole through the firewall on the left under the dash. Can be accessed by removing the panel on the side of the dash. You can also see it from under the hood. It is about 1.5" diameter and covered with the silver insulation. Just take a screwdriver etc and poke a hole through it.

You'll need to either buy or manufacture a mount for the antennae and also purchase the actual mount fitting and 18' of co-ax. I just made an L-shaped bracket that I mounted to the spare tire mount. Easy to route the cable from there through the same place where the 3rd brake light is routed.

Once fitted you will have to get someone to calibrate the antennae. Don't think there are any quick disconnects for the antennae. I just unscrew the actual Firestick from the mount when I need to.
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehnmg View Post
Therefore, I have some q's:
1. How do you run the wires to the batery through the firewall? Are there openings in it already, or do I need to drill (got any pics?)?

2. Are there any special instructions when hooking it up to the battery (ground, etc.)?

3. Right now I only have the Cobra 75 WX ST and the parts that came in the packaging. What else will I need to hook it up with a firestix antenna? Wiring? Mounting bracket? Quick Release?

4. I garage the Jeep, and there is not much room when I drive under the door. So I do not think that a 4' firestix will cut it, as it will be too high and prevent me from parking every night. I know that you can buy magnet antennas, but I was hoping to maybe use a 3' firestix with a disconnect to remove it when I garage the Jeep. Any ideas on the disconnect system or other alternatives?

Bascially, I am looking for a parts list and a "how to," especially regarding the garage issue.

As always, thanks for everyone's help.
First off, some links to help you out on ideas and how-to's:
Great Photo-Only Walkthrough
Nice looking (but poorly written) installation notes

This is probably the best-looking installation I have seen. If possible, you should make sure that whatever instructions you follow will get you to this end result. I found this photo here.

As for the antenna, I would highly recommend the Teraflex antenna mount. Installation is relatively easy (especially if you are willing to drill through your tailgate) and it should be noted that you don't have to mount it on the upper right side of your spare tire mount. You can also mount it upside down on the bottom left of your spare tire mount, which has the effect of lowering your mounting point by about a foot. Combine that with a 3' antenna and I'm fairly confident that you won't have any problems with the garage.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

1. You will only need to run a positive wire into the engine bay. As stated above, there are pre-existing routing holes that you will need to find. The one I used is explained in this write-up, but there are several others that will work just fine. I prefer the one on the passenger side because it put my right next to my battery (but I'm not sure which side the battery is on in your Jeep).

2. You'll only need to connect the negative lead to the body or frame somewhere. I connected the positive lead using a solderless ring connector (example below).

3. Don't go with a quick release. Instead, use a Teraflex antenna mount flipped upside down and a 3' Firestik. You should be fine. You'll also need an 18' length of coax cable. All of your coax ends should be PL-259 connectors.

4. When wiring a CB, it's best to keep the wiring simple. The more components you have, the worse your signal will be. You will need to get an SWR Meter to make sure you can tune your CB, otherwise you risk damaging the unit if your SWR is way out of wack. http://www.amazon.com/METER-Radio-Antennas-Jumper-cable/dp/B002KRME3C/ the one I bought and it works well with no frills.

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

A ton of info...thank you for all the responses.
You all are a tremendous help

Skids- Sway Bar, c. arms, s.mounts, oil pan, evap. cannister, EVO C2 front axle Gussets...
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Only issue I see with mounting the antennae so that it doesn't protrude above the roof is loss of power. With the antennae low down your range is going to be shorter. Probably OK if you are only looking to talk to buddies in your convoy.
Unread 03-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

For the routing of the wires, I've been using a second hole in the firewall boot that is down in the foot well of the passenger side (It's hard to get to and well hidden. Stretch well before attempting to go though here... LOL ) It's a pretty big boot, and on the inside, I've made quite a mess of it. At some point (probably once I'm done installing all my extra electronic goodies) I'll make an attempt to seal it back up with some heavy electrical tape.
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcutter View Post
Although this looks nice and clean, it's ultimately unnecessary and you're just drilling a hole in dash parts.

Stick the cord underneath the ends of the center console and have it come out the bottom, like this:

Unread 03-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm not following you...what exactly do you mean?
Thanks!

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not following you...what exactly do you mean?
Thanks!
He's saying that the method I suggested requires drilling part of your dash (which is expensive to replace). His alternative simply means routing the wire through holes that already exist.

Keep Calm and Chive On!
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

In researching the Coax cable, I found one that comes with a "fire ring." Is this what I need? What's the purpose of the "fire ring?"
http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-K-8R18-Fire-Flex-cable-Fire-Ring/dp/B000X3C8L8

or, do I need this one:
http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-K-8A-single-antenna-cable/dp/B000X3EPCI/ref=pd_sim_e_6

Unread 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Has anybody spliced into the power outlet in the glovebox? Should be doable since almost same as using a CLA.
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
In researching the Coax cable, I found one that comes with a "fire ring." Is this what I need? What's the purpose of the "fire ring?"
http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-K-8R18-Fire-Flex-cable-Fire-Ring/dp/B000X3C8L8

or, do I need this one:
http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-K-8A-...ref=pd_sim_e_6
No idea what the fire ring is. You want one that has the connector mounted at one end and the other connector (same as the one mounted) supplied for you to fit. This allows for easy routing of the cable. Both connectors should be the same.
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #14
jehnmg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Got another one for everyone. It seems as if there are a number of different firestix 3' antennas. Are all antennas treated equally?

I attached a few links to check out:

Option 1:
http://www.amazon.com/FireStik-FL3-B-FireFly-Antenna-Tuneable/dp/B000UUNHJG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332973579&sr=8-1-spell
Option 2:
http://www.amazon.com/Firestik-Series-Tunable-Antenna-Watts/dp/B00317EJ0Q/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332973579&sr=8-2-spell
Option 3:
http://www.amazon.com/FIRESTICK-II-TUNABLE-TIP-BLACK/dp/B000WYYP14/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332973579&sr=8-3-spell

Unread 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #15
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think they are all the same, just different vendors. You choose your color.

Tags
cb , cobra 75

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.