clutch whirrring/squealing noise - but stops when I press on clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > clutch whirrring/squealing noise - but stops when I press on clutch

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

clutch whirrring/squealing noise - but stops when I press on clutch

I just bought an 08 X manual with 30 K on it (still in warranty)

There seems to be a high pitched squealing that you can hear when the windows are down. When I press down on the clutch the noise goes away, but when I let go of the clutch it's still going. Sometimes the squeal turns in to a whiirrr noise that is not as high pitched but still noticeable.

I found a post on wrangler forum with my EXACT problem but I wanted to see if anyone on here can give me their two cents. I'm definitely bringing it in, I'm just a little nervous because I just bought the car.

Clutch Squealing - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Will this be covered under the 3/36 warranty? I don't have the powertrain warranty being that I bought the jeep used.

dirtyjpwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem... the dealer said they couldn't duplicate it.. I got tired of bringing it in. The noise has since gone away. But I am going to replace the throw out bearing when the time comes.
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Once you start applying the clutch very slowly, does the "funny" noise goes away with a small clutch pedal movement or do you have to depress the pedal completely down..
A clutch disk which is worn out or close will tend to push the diaphragm towards the rear (transmission side) this might put some extra drag on the clutch release bearing (throw out)

This with the assumption that the clutch actuating hydraulic system has no leaks and works normal..You bought this Jeep used and who knows how the clutch was abused..

If warranty still applies, let them renew the disk and throw out for sure..
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
08blkjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm having the problem too, dealer 'service advisor' heard it, it got better after they fixed a rear main seal leak, but i have a feeling it will come back.
08blkjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
RacingRandie
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you just bought the jeep dealer should fix it even if its not a warrenty item.
RacingRandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
youngbill
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is a TSB for this exact problem. Just had my THrow out bearing and associated parts replaced. Check jk-forum.com, they have a list of all TSB's.
youngbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRandie View Post
If you just bought the jeep dealer should fix it even if its not a warrenty item.
yea you're right. Unfortunately I bought my car at a dealer 160 miles away (it's a long story). I can still call up and complain and probably get them to pay for the repair if I need to. From what I'm reading though I should be able to get this covered under my current warranty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbill View Post
There is a TSB for this exact problem. Just had my THrow out bearing and associated parts replaced. Check jk-forum.com, they have a list of all TSB's.
hmm I checked out the TSB list on JK-forum and this one seems to be closest to what I'm describing.

I'm gonna print it out and bring it to the dealer ASAP
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
youngbill
2007 JK Wrangler 

You might have to try more then one dealer. My local dealer (Sport Jeep, Norristown PA) told me it was not covered because the clutch is a ware item. I kept telling them the throw out bearing if not a ware item and regardless the TSB covers it. I walked out, their a bunch of A-Holes (Never go to that dealer!!!). Anyway, I took it to a dealer 45 min away and they said it was absolutly covered. Ther even replaced a few parts that looked worn even though they were not on the tsb. (Lansdale Jeep = A+++. Great guys!).
youngbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
RacingRandie
2009 JK Wrangler 

Good point... most dealers are pretty good but there are those that are *&^%heads.
RacingRandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

probably your throwout bearing...its a common prob on these things. mine's fubar, so is a friends.
Unread 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

mine has been doing that for 15k miles too, i haven't acted on it because it never got worse. it is still smoother than my cj, so i tolerate it.
List of stock parts that have been eviscerated.

power steering pump, tie rod, front left knuckle, horn, weld on rear track bar, rear track bar bracket, both rear fenders, front passenger fender, punctured spare tire, rear bar pins, steering stabilizer shock, front drivers side shock, spare tire carrier.
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #12
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

So the dealer just called and said they got the "part" in to fix the problem.

what is the part? The whole clutch assembly. That's right, they're replacing my entire clutch with a brand new one. Not bad I guess.
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just got back from the dealer. Clutch is niccee and smooth. I can tell it's brand new.

But the noise is still there.. FML

Time to bring it back to the dealer...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.