Clunk fixed... damm dealer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Clunk fixed... damm dealer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Clunk fixed... damm dealer

After three trips to the dealer in the last six months I finally got the steering clunk fixed. What an ordeal I had to go through to finally get them to recognize there even was a problem. I could write a book on all the bull crap I went through with them. Anyhow, long story short, they replaced not only the intermediate shaft but also the other part that it slides into. So in other words the whole unit. Not sure how long it will last but at least for now the noise and feel of the clunk is gone. Damm how I hated it.
For anyone else that is having problems with the dealer on the clunk issue, demand to have them take you on a test drive. If they still say they feel and hear nothing, take it to a parking lot and go over a few speed bumps and make several turns back and forth. After a few minutes it will be so obvious even to them.

No cheers this time, I’m still pissed.

Unread 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
Jodyblip

you know what i think i might have this too
mine only does it over bumps and stuff not when you turn
Jodyblip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
AzureStarline
2012 JK Wrangler 

What do you mean by clunking? Sounds irritating.
AzureStarline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodyblip View Post
you know what i think i might have this too
mine only does it over bumps and stuff not when you turn
It will, just give it more time.
Unread 07-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
It will, just give it more time.
^this...9000 miles and I have it now
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

There isn't a JK on or offroad that does not have a steering clunk or will not get one soon. There are no permanent solutions to this three year old problem.

Sadly, your problem will be back. Might as well accept it.
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

My new shaft lasted about 3k miles. Clunk back, worse than it was originally. Gave up trying. If my steering fails and someone gets hurt, we'll revisit the clunk.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
There isn't a JK on or offroad that does not have a steering clunk or will not get one soon. There are no permanent solutions to this three year old problem.

Sadly, your problem will be back. Might as well accept it.
X2

Yep. I've just decided to live with it about two years ago. For those new to this (or new jk ownership) you'll see thousands of these "clunk" threads. Also to add to the OPs description, the clunk is worse the hotter the engine is run. Expanding metal ?? Who knows.

Turning the stereo up increases the pleasure of jk ownership!!!

It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I had heard that Borgeson was going to come out with an aftermarket solution, and then they didn't...I am sure there must have been a market for it, their prototype must not have been up to snuff...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have no clunk. There's a thread around somewhere with the fix for this. There is a sleeve or something on the shaft that slides down out of place. It can be moved back up and fastened with a clamp IIRC.
Unread 07-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
I have no clunk. There's a thread around somewhere with the fix for this. There is a sleeve or something on the shaft that slides down out of place. It can be moved back up and fastened with a clamp IIRC.
that is what I have done...only I haven't clamped it yet...I just hammer it back up in there each time it falls down...which is only when I wheel for the most part...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

havent had one clunk and have 28k miles on it now with offroadings atleast once a month. No idea why it hasnt got to me yet, can anyone get a part number for the assembly so I can be ready for when it goes out as it sounds anooying? I will be out of warranty in just a week. Anyone know atleast how much it is?
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
havent had one clunk and have 28k miles on it now with offroadings atleast once a month. No idea why it hasnt got to me yet, can anyone get a part number for the assembly so I can be ready for when it goes out as it sounds anooying? I will be out of warranty in just a week. Anyone know atleast how much it is?
Don’t have a part number but you’ll be getting it in one week.
Unread 07-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

The problem with the clunk is that its not just the shaft that causes it. Loose bolts in the suspension, worn tie rod/drag link ends, worn steering gear can all cause that same knocking in the gas pedal.

The real issue is they used cheap parts/engineering on the front end of these things. Trust me, I have replaced 90% of my suspension with aftermarket. The only thing left is the box. My clunk was gone for over a year and now it is coming back over bumps.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Never had knocking in my gas pedal that I noticed. All the knocking was felt through the steering wheel along with a lot of knocking noise.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.