cloth strap caught in tailgate latch, can't open door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > cloth strap caught in tailgate latch, can't open door

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 11-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
dolly

cloth strap caught in tailgate latch, can't open door

Hello everyone, I hope someone can help. a small side strap of a backpack got caught exactly in the latching mechanism of the tailgate of my 2008 wrangler, didn't notice it in the dark, shut the door, went to open it later, no go. had to cut the backpack off. I took the little plastic vent looking panel off inside the cargo area near where the latch mechanism is, can reach inside, can flip the lock up and down, can maneuver the opening mechanism up and down that the push button on the outside latch operates, but that door is stuck really well. it feels like its locked. Anyone know how I can get the whole inside metal panel off of the tailgate and then how I go about getting that cloth out from between the latch parts? Thanks!!
Dolly

dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
bill9274
2011 JK Wrangler 

try pushing in on the door real hard with the button pushed maybe it just has pressure on it if not prolly going to have to unbolt it. good luck.

Bill
bill9274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree...the inside metal panel is not a separate piece.
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
donny90yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Same thing happened to me with my tow wires, wouldn't open and felt like it was locked. Just grab ahold and yank it open.
donny90yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
dolly

Thanks guys, I got on the inside and pushed with both legs, like i was at the gym doing leg presses hehehe, and bf was outside pulling on the door handle w the button pushed in. door opened right up. Thanks again for the help!!!
dolly
dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

So what happened to your boyfriend, did he end up on the floor?

Glad you got it opened.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.