Click, no start - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Click, no start

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #61
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
1222 - so do you get a click, but nothing? If you have the dreaded click no start problem, then one or some combination of the following should work:

1. Put it in Neutral and it should start
2. Put it in Neutral then back to Park and it should start
3. Push up on it in Park and maybe it will start.

I've had success with all three, but #1 seems to be the most common solution.

If you canít get it to start from one of the above items then itís not likely the same problem, though I know of one person that had this problem and could not get it to start at all and just took it to the dealer and they did #2 below and fixed it.

If one/all of the above solutions work then you have the problem. I just dropped my Jeep off at the dealership and one of my items to fix was this issue. They are very familiar with this problem and said they tried two things with their customers:

1. Make a better ground from the battery to body to engine to transmission
2. Replace the Transmission Range Sensor.

They said they have tried both, and have had customers return with the better ground solution, and never had a customer return with the new range sensor. They recommend a new range sensor, which for me was free because I'm still under my 3/36,000 warrantee.

The repair order did not show the cost, just parts:

4659677AC - Sensor - Manual Valve Lever
68055894AA - Fluid
5010884AA - Sealer
68059549AA - Filter - Transmission oil (I asked them to replace the filter since they had the transmission opened up) $26.66 cost to me.

I know what you mean about not trusting your Jeep until itís fixed. If you want any more info/theories on this particular issue I can add them. Iíve been following it for a while as I have (hopefully now fixed) this problem for the last 6 months.
I'm late to the party, but I was having the same problem. I have an extended warranty and the dealership put in a new ground wire that seems to have fixed the problem. They made it sound like this has been a fairly common problem.

davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM   #62
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
I'm late to the party, but I was having the same problem. I have an extended warranty and the dealership put in a new ground wire that seems to have fixed the problem. They made it sound like this has been a fairly common problem.
Yeah, my Dealer said it was pretty common here too. Hopefully the ground works for you (as it does for a lot of people), but if it doesn't you still have the warrantee for the Range Sensor solution.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #63
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I also read about the ground problem and how it was the answer for some.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #64
FireMedic5110
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
The Transmission Range Sensor is located inside of the transmission. According to the FSM you have to remove the valve body to get to it.
I'm just a general wrench monkey and have no experience with transmissions. Is this something somewhat easy to do or am I going to have to pay mechanic? It's am 07 Unlimited Sahara with 69k on it btw.
FireMedic5110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #65
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic5110 View Post
I'm just a general wrench monkey and have no experience with transmissions. Is this something somewhat easy to do or am I going to have to pay mechanic? It's am 07 Unlimited Sahara with 69k on it btw.
Me too.

Hereís a summary of some of the things the FSM says you need to do:

1. Disconnect TRS connectors and shift cable.
2. Remove oil pan bolts and oil pan (one bolt is special and has sealer on it).
3. Remove oil filter (I had them replace mine when they replaced my TRS).
4. Remove valve body bolts and valve body carefully as there are two springs that may fall out.
5. Remove TRS.
6. Reverse to install (torque each bolt to specs, seal properly, and add proper amount of ATF+4)

It mentions performing a Quick Learn procedure if the Valve Body was reconditioned, but since it wasnít then I wouldnít think it is necessary. If it is necessary you need a Scan Tool.

I also seem to remember reading about a procedure to learn/re-learn the shifter positions from the TRS, but I canít find it now (itís not in the TRS removal/installation section).

Itís not as complicated as upgrading your gears (I had a shop do it), and itís more detailed than doing a lift (I did my own lift), and can be a bit messy (when you drop the pan thereís a lot of fluid that wants to spill out).

I donít know what a (good) Dealer would charge to replace it, but I would think you could get a quote and then see how much you would save by doing it yourself.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #66
Encore

I have had the problem of click no start for about 1 1/2 years and just push on the shifter while in park or put in nuetral and it starts. Then the other day turn key no click but everything worked but won't start. Tooke the battery and had it checked and it showed to be marginal with only 500CCA got a new battery put it in and still nothing jumping did not help. Got the spare key started right up and then it started with the first key. Now its back toclick no start once or twice a day. I think I will try changing the ground wire.
Encore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #67
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encore View Post
...I think I will try changing the ground wire.
If I didnít have a warrantee I would certainly try the ground wire first and if that didnít work try to live with shifting it into Neutral for a whileÖ
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #68
Pono

So my '07 started acting weird yesterday. Was out running some errands and each time I tried to start it, it was rather sluggish getting going, but ran fine once it was running. Made me think alternator or battery was about gone.

When I got home, I left it running and tried the old school battery/alternator test. Remove the positive lead from the battery while the vehicle is running and if it stays running, it's the battery, if it dies, it's the alternator. It continued to run for another 15-20 seconds then died. So I assumed alternator. But now I have heard from a friend that these later year cars will not run if the battery is disconnected whether the alternator is bad or not.

I borrowed a battery charger and charged it up and... nothing. Just a click and nothing. Tried charging again. still nothing. Amazingly enough, the battery is the original that was in the car when I bought it new in '07, so it's a really old battery. It was really low on water, so I filled it up and everything, charged it up yet again. still nothing. When its done charging, it says its at 13.6 volts. When I try to start it just once, it drops down to between 89 and 10 volts.

So this one is probably just the battery isnt it? Not enough juice to do anything in here? Enough to turn on some lights and all, but not enough to turn an engine over. Oh, I also did the old tap on the starter with a hammer and all that as well to see if that might give it something. It used to in old cars at least. Nothing. Battery? Starter? some kind of random chaos crap like the stuff mentioned in this thread? Ideas?
Pono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #69
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Your Battery is TOAST... Anything below 12.3 under load is suspect.

P.S. You don't want to disconnect the Battery while the engine is running, same goes for pretty much any newer Car / truck. You can fry the Computer, Radio, etc.
Unread 08-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #70
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum Pono .

That’s what happened to my battery even though it wasn’t that old. It took a charge, somewhere around 14v, + or –, but when I had a load test on it the cranking amps all but disappeared. New battery time.
Unread 08-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #71
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Replace you battery. I have a 2007 and I am the original owner. The original battery lasted 24 months. Replacement battery lasted 18 months. That one lasted 24 months. Today my Jeep is acting strange, but I have not checked it out yet due to gathering information on what the storm in the gulf is going to do.

Also worth noting is the common problem automatics have with the switch. Either shove it into park harder or put it in neutral. I have experienced this on a few occasions.
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #72
Pono

Guess I did pretty good on that original battery since it lasted 5 years and 7 months! Now the bummer is that nobody is available today to bum a ride off of, so I need to hitchhike down the hill into town to get the battery. *sigh* what can ya do...
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #73
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pono
Guess I did pretty good on that original battery since it lasted 5 years and 7 months! Now the bummer is that nobody is available today to bum a ride off of, so I need to hitchhike down the hill into town to get the battery. *sigh* what can ya do...
A couple of things.

Push start it by rolling it down the hill if you have a manual transmission.

I take it you don't have one of those jump start boxes or a boost setting on your battery charger.

I suppose there are no taxi can services in your area.

Get creative. Order pizza delivered from Domino's or some place and give the delivery driver some money to take you to get a battery when he brings the pizza.
Unread 08-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #74
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
...Get creative. Order pizza delivered from Domino's or some place and give the delivery driver some money to take you to get a battery when he brings the pizza.
Although funny itís a great idea. If I was in his situation and seen your post I would go for it. Love Dominos.
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #75
Pono

lol, well, I saw these ideas AFTER I already went to the store and got the battery. Bummer walk of 3 miles uphill almost the entire way home, carrying the battery the whole time. Yow are my shoulders tired!

The pizza delivery is a great idea, but it's a bummer that there are no pizza deliveries that I know of anywhere on Kauai. And the taxi service here! Right. I think there are a total of 3 taxis on the whole island, and they live down at the airport.

But on the bright side, popped the new battery in and everything worked great! It started right up!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.