Click, no start - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Click, no start

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #31
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
In your research have you found this problem connected at all with a manual transmission?
Just curious for future reference.
Glad to hear that you got it up and running.
Well there were some with manuals that chimed in on that 46-page thread but I really donít recall if it was the exact same problem. Some were referring to long crank times before their Jeep would start which is a different matter all together. Iíll try to find that thread and post the link here. Lots of different causes.

EDIT: I found it. Here it is. Problem with Jeep Not Starting - Click/No Start issue

Unread 12-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks John
The more reference material we have in this forum the better.
I am adding this thread to the F.A.Q. in the trouble shooting section.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #33
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

That will be great. Just when you think youíve heard all the crap that can go wrong with our Jeeps something else pops up.
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #34
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim-reaper View Post
On two occasions I have gotten the click. And a combination of #2 and #3 got it started. Actually I did #2 a couple times combined with a lot of jiggling of the shifter once in Park.
Sounds like you have the "official" click no start problem - like I have (hopefully had). The symptoms are: when you try to start you hear a click and nothing else happens, but if you move your shifter - to Neutral, Neutral to Park, or push up on it, then it will start.

If you are under warrantee you should try to get the Transmission Range Sensor replaced. If not you can try to live with it or try the better ground solution. I've read where others have had this problem for years... I've only had it for 6 months.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #35
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Woo, Hoo!! Way to go! Saved you a trip to the dealer and probably about 300$...
So what exactly does the crank position sensor do?
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #36
grim-reaper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
Sounds like you have the "official" click no start problem - like I have (hopefully had). The symptoms are: when you try to start you hear a click and nothing else happens, but if you move your shifter - to Neutral, Neutral to Park, or push up on it, then it will start.

If you are under warrantee you should try to get the Transmission Range Sensor replaced. If not you can try to live with it or try the better ground solution. I've read where others have had this problem for years... I've only had it for 6 months.
I am still under warranty, and this is good advice. I'll give it a go.
grim-reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #37
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim-reaper View Post
I am still under warranty, and this is good advice. I'll give it a go.
If it turns out you really need a better ground then the fix is relatively easy - you could do it in your garage. The Range Sensor fix is a lot more complicated and expensive, so you really want to get it done under warrantee. Hopefully your dealer knows about this problem and will just do it without having to see it first. You need to tell them when you get the click no start you can always start it by shifting to Neutral. BTW - when they are in there ask them to replace the filter. They should do it for just the cost of the filter (no labor since theyíll be in there anyway).
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #38
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
Woo, Hoo!! Way to go! Saved you a trip to the dealer and probably about 300$...
So what exactly does the crank position sensor do?
It tells the computer where the crankshaft is in it rotation so that the computer will fire the spark plug at the correct time among other things.
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #39
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
It seems to be any number or combination of things causing the Ďclick no startí condition. I never knew how wide spread the problem was until it happened to me.
Hey 1222,Is this problem with auto-trans only ?
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #40
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan45acp View Post
Hey 1222,Is this problem with auto-trans only ?
Iím not sure. It seemed like there where a lot more people with autos chiming in than manuals. There are now 47 pages to that thread as of this post and Iím not about to go over it again. Try the link I posted 3 posts up from this one were it says ďEDIT:Ē and you can check it out. You might want to have a snack to munch on to keep you awake though.
Unread 12-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #41
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It tells the computer where the crankshaft is in it rotation so that the computer will fire the spark plug at the correct time among other things.
Got it, I've replaced a few of them, but always thought they were called Cam Position sensors...
Why would this keep it from starting??

Weird, but a good one for the files.

My old Sierra did this same thing many, many times and it always ended up being a crappy connection on one of the battery cables, but it had sideposts, which I completely despise...
In the Army, we were constantly cleaning and greasing out battery terminals and cables to keep this from happening..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #42
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Another Update

Well crap, it happened again. Luckily I was in my Garage this time. When I said in an earlier post above that I hoped it wasnít just coincidence that it worked the first time, well I guess it was after all. I unplugged the CPS this time around but it didnít help.

I checked my battery voltage and it was fine, never the less I put a battery charger on it. After maybe 2-3 minutes I tried the CPS one more time just before I turned the key to make sure it still didnít start. Then I turned the key and it fired right up like nothing was wrong.

I do have to say that when it worked the other day by re-plugging the CPS I did have the charger on the battery for a couple of hours prior to that.

So now Iím back to square one.
Unread 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #43
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sorry about the problems that you are having, I'm keeping an eye on similar threads over at WF to see if there's anything that might help you...good luck.
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #44
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Sorry about the problems that you are having, I'm keeping an eye on similar threads over at WF to see if there's anything that might help you...good luck.
Thanks krutj I really appreciate it because Iím stumped. Back in the good old days you could always get your car/Jeep running one way or the other. These days with all the electronics wellÖ Anyhow I just might get another battery for the heck of it.
Unread 12-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #45
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks krutj I really appreciate it because Iím stumped. Back in the good old days you could always get your car/Jeep running one way or the other. These days with all the electronics wellÖ Anyhow I just might get another battery for the heck of it.
Just the other day, I was explaining to my son how the old cam driven fuel pumps worked and how easy they were to replace and get going again(without dropping the fuel tank!)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.