Click, no start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Click, no start

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #16
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

joe002, I already tried 1-3 of your post with no results. The part I hate is that Iíll be at the mercy of the dealer and that worries me a lot. Back in the late 70ís I had my own repair shop called Johnís Garage and computers and such were just in its infancy. Now days I donít have a clue how to trouble shoot my own Jeep.

If I havenít figured it out by Monday then off to the dealer it goes.

Thanks for your input.

Unread 12-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I did and even though the battery still had 12.68 volts after repeated tries to start I put the battery charger on it just for the heck of it. No change at all.
Did you you use the boost feature?

What I am getting at is not trying to charge the battery, but instead having more current by jump starting with another vehicle or if the charger has the feature, using the boost mode. By increasing the current, you can overcome resistance in the circuit such as a marginal starter, loose connection, or marginal neutral safety switch. It's one of the ways I figured out that the neutral safety switch on mine is going out.

Also, I remember a couple of years ago people were pulling the fuse for their starter out and putting it back in after thirty minutes and that seemed to work half the time for an unknown reason.

Is it the original battery? I have an 07 model and had to change the battery almost two years ago. Many have reported only two years of use out of the original battery. If you have another vehicle, swap batteries just for ****s and grins.

Autozone and O'Reilly's can test your starter for free if you bring it to them off the vehicle.
Unread 12-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #18
djkbooth
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I did and even though the battery still had 12.68 volts after repeated tries to start I put the battery charger on it just for the heck of it. No change at all.
I know yours is okay but..
Just wanna throw this out there for trouble shooting batteries, just cause a battery has 12v on it doesnt mean its good, get someone with you when trouble shooting a battery and have them put the meter on it when you crank it and see what you have under load. We have had alot of boat starting batteries that were thought to be good but under load were shot. Just something to think about,
Hope you get the ride straight, let us know your outcome!!
djkbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

^^^Iíll give that a try today and see what happens.
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
joe002, I already tried 1-3 of your post with no results. The part I hate is that Iíll be at the mercy of the dealer and that worries me a lot...
Most likely you don't have the Range Sensor/bad ground issue. One easy thing you can try is to connect a jumper cable to the ground on your battery and then to a good ground on your engine and see if it starts.

I know what you mean about not being able to diagnose issues anymore. I got my first car in the 70s, bought a shop manual and tools and made all the repairs and upgrades as I really couldn't afford to take it to a shop. Now I do the regular maintenance stuff, most upgrades to the Jeep, but leave these kinds of things to the dealer. Fortunately for me I'm still under warrantee so the only thing I lose (in theory) is time.

Hopefully you have a more normal problem that you can find this weekend - like the battery. Did you check to see if the wire connection on the starter is clean from gunk/dirt/rot? Iíve read where this was a problem for some as stuff gets trapped up in there. If you decide to look you may want to disconnect your positive from the battery first as Iíve heard itís easy to short things out when you are hunting around.

Good luck!
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #21
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
Most likely you don't have the Range Sensor/bad ground issue. One easy thing you can try is to connect a jumper cable to the ground on your battery and then to a good ground on your engine and see if it starts.
I havenít tried that yet. Iíll do that today along with the battery load test that djkbooth suggested. Thanks.
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was planning on changing my battery out for a sealed one anyway, but if you're making a run to the parts store, pull your starter and have them check it, Ill bet it's fine.
The maint-free and possibly the Gel-cell batteries are worth the extra money and peace of mind. I have had sealed batteries on my last 4 motorcycles and have never once had to throw them on a charger in the spring, and you know how *****y motorcycle batteries are.

Sounds like there are many potential causes of this problem, but if you've got a standard like we do, it eliminates some of them.
There's got to be a way to bypass all the BS and directly jump the starter, maybe with a jumper cable or something.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
NYTrailrider
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
I have that dreaded click and no start problem with my Jeep now. I had to have it towed home last night. Felt kinda dumb because it was only 4 blocks to my house. Thank god I wasnít out deep in the Desert Mountains where a tow truck canít reach.

The battery has a full charge so itís not the problem. Iíve tried putting it in neutral, switched keys giggled wires, check post connections etc. After researching this problem Iíve come to the conclusion that itís definitely not the starter (I will check though). Has anyone had this problem and do you have a fix for it?

There is a 46-page thread on this very issue on another forum and it seems like the dealer canít find a solid fix. My warranty is up (of course) and I donít really have the money to spend having the dealer randomly replacing parts at my expense. Help.
My Comanche does this sometimes, I have found that I (or someone) has to wiggle the ground cable (from the battery to the block) and it will start if you get it just right. Then it doesn't happen again for awhile.

Check your ground cable. Although mine is shot pretty bad.
NYTrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #24
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Update:

First off I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. Every post was very helpful in that it helped eliminate certain causes relating to my Jeep. Some of the very same fixes that were mentioned have in fact fixed other Jeeps with the no-start issue in the past.

Hereís how I got my Jeep to start. What I did was to disconnect the Crank Position Sensor and then reconnect it. I canít take credit for the fix though. On another forum there is a 46-page thread on the no-start issue. On one of the posts it was mentioned that it had worked for at least one person so I gave it a try.

Now keep in mind that it doesnít work in all cases. Iím also hoping that it wasnít just a coincidence that it decided to start.

Here are a couple of pics incase someone else has the same problem and isnít quite sure where the sensor is located.

It is located on the right side towards the top of where the transmission and engine meet.

Just unplug and reconnect.

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...Hereís how I got my Jeep to start. What I did was to disconnect the Crank Position Sensor and then reconnect it...
Glad you got it started! So, is the sensor bad or did the computer just need to be reset, or is the connection dirty? I know my sensor went bad early on and caused a lot of weird problems that seemed totally unrelated to the sensor. The dealer put in a new one and havenítí had any issues with the new one yet.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #26
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Glad you got it started! So, is the sensor bad or did the computer just need to be reset, or is the connection dirty? I know my sensor went bad early on and caused a lot of weird problems that seemed totally unrelated to the sensor. The dealer put in a new one and havenítí had any issues with the new one yet.
Iím not sure. It looked clean so I donít think it was that. I guess I should buy a new one and at least carry it with me just incase it does it again and unplugging it doesnít work. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.
Unread 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
grim-reaper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
1222 - so do you get a click, but nothing? If you have the dreaded click no start problem, then one or some combination of the following should work:

1. Put it in Neutral and it should start
2. Put it in Neutral then back to Park and it should start
3. Push up on it in Park and maybe it will start.

I've had success with all three, but #1 seems to be the most common solution.
On two occasions I have gotten the click. And a combination of #2 and #3 got it started. Actually I did #2 a couple times combined with a lot of jiggling of the shifter once in Park.
grim-reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

It seems to be any number or combination of things causing the Ďclick no startí condition. I never knew how wide spread the problem was until it happened to me.
Unread 12-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #29
Unlimited2010

Glad you took care of this problem with all the suggestions from members on the forum. I wonder what the dealer would have done/charged to diagnose this simple problem to fix. hope it causes no other starting probles down the road.

-R
Unlimited2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #30
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It seems to be any number or combination of things causing the Ďclick no startí condition. I never knew how wide spread the problem was until it happened to me.
In your research have you found this problem connected at all with a manual transmission?
Just curious for future reference.
Glad to hear that you got it up and running.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.