Click, no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Click, no start

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Click, no start

I have that dreaded click and no start problem with my Jeep now. I had to have it towed home last night. Felt kinda dumb because it was only 4 blocks to my house. Thank god I wasnít out deep in the Desert Mountains where a tow truck canít reach.

The battery has a full charge so itís not the problem. Iíve tried putting it in neutral, switched keys giggled wires, check post connections etc. After researching this problem Iíve come to the conclusion that itís definitely not the starter (I will check though). Has anyone had this problem and do you have a fix for it?

There is a 46-page thread on this very issue on another forum and it seems like the dealer canít find a solid fix. My warranty is up (of course) and I donít really have the money to spend having the dealer randomly replacing parts at my expense. Help.

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The service manual has a procedure titled " No Response No Start Condition" that is supposed to yield and error
code that would explain this condition - has the dealer run this procedure? There is also a procedure for a "No Start No crank" issue that deals with testing the Totally Integrated Power Module which houses the actual start relay for power from the battery to the starter...has this been checked per the manual? One of these should yield some clues as to what is going on.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks.

I havenít taken it to the dealer yet. My initial thought was that itís the starter solenoid, which I can fix myself.

Are you saying that testing the TIPM procedure is in the owners manual or most likely the service manual?

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not sure what the starters look like on these, but when the solenoids went out on our military vehicles, you could still short a screwdriver across the high current contacts and get the solenoid to engage and the starter to turn.

If you're not hearing the click of the solenoid, the other thing is to turn the key and beat the starter with something heavy. Don't know if that will work with the start by wire on these...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I know what you mean about the solenoid. Used to do that too on the older cars. It does click but of all the researching that if done, it doesnít appear to be starter/solenoid related.

I donít want to start beating on it because once I get started I donít think I could quit until the tires fall off.
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
RustyStolzz
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've had this same problem with my 2010. Twice now click and no start. The dealer has had to replace the TIMP twice now. The Jeep only has 8,000 miles. Last time they changed the fuel pump also. I hope it is just your starter. That's gotta be cheaper then the TIMP.
RustyStolzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

This seems to be more common then I thought. Other people have had their TIPMís replaced only to have the problem reoccur. Seams your one of them too. Now Iíll never trust my Jeep again. I wonít get rid of it but the trust to restart out in the outback just wonít be there.

Any idea what it would cost?
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Even though the battery is fully charged, try jump starting it to see what will happen.
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

$200ish is my guestimate. Someone mentioned spending $165 for it from a dealer they had a friend working at. IIRC, it's right in from of the battery. Should be easy enough to do yourself.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

1222 - so do you get a click, but nothing? If you have the dreaded click no start problem, then one or some combination of the following should work:

1. Put it in Neutral and it should start
2. Put it in Neutral then back to Park and it should start
3. Push up on it in Park and maybe it will start.

I've had success with all three, but #1 seems to be the most common solution.

If you canít get it to start from one of the above items then itís not likely the same problem, though I know of one person that had this problem and could not get it to start at all and just took it to the dealer and they did #2 below and fixed it.

If one/all of the above solutions work then you have the problem. I just dropped my Jeep off at the dealership and one of my items to fix was this issue. They are very familiar with this problem and said they tried two things with their customers:

1. Make a better ground from the battery to body to engine to transmission
2. Replace the Transmission Range Sensor.

They said they have tried both, and have had customers return with the better ground solution, and never had a customer return with the new range sensor. They recommend a new range sensor, which for me was free because I'm still under my 3/36,000 warrantee.

The repair order did not show the cost, just parts:

4659677AC - Sensor - Manual Valve Lever
68055894AA - Fluid
5010884AA - Sealer
68059549AA - Filter - Transmission oil (I asked them to replace the filter since they had the transmission opened up) $26.66 cost to me.

I know what you mean about not trusting your Jeep until itís fixed. If you want any more info/theories on this particular issue I can add them. Iíve been following it for a while as I have (hopefully now fixed) this problem for the last 6 months.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #11
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Late response, but the test is listed in the maintenance manual, not the owners manual...and it requires some stuff only the dealer has...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Even though the battery is fully charged, try jump starting it to see what will happen.
I did and even though the battery still had 12.68 volts after repeated tries to start I put the battery charger on it just for the heck of it. No change at all.
Unread 12-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
jeeprookie09
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar problem. I was just going to the store shortly after I got home from work..turned the key and...click. I check the voltage and it was good. I thought maybe I'm on crack so I checked the voltage on my wifes batt to see what hers read...same. Turns out it was the battery....a cracked cell or something. To make a long story short, I could have saved myself a lot of money if I would have just went and bought a battery and tried it out.
jeeprookie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

A few Things to Check:

Battery terminals, they sell replacements at Autozone etc and they are only $4 you only need very basic tools to replace them. My positive terminal was 70% corroded away when my Jeep was only 16 months old.

The battery may have 12.5V - 13V until you put a load on it... Put a VOM on it then flip the Headlights and see if it drops to 9-10V if it does, your battery may be toast.
Unread 12-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
$200ish is my guestimate. Someone mentioned spending $165 for it from a dealer they had a friend working at. IIRC, it's right in from of the battery. Should be easy enough to do yourself.
Well if thatís all then it wonít be too bad plus I have a dealer account with the parts department. Of course Iíll have to figure in the dealer trouble shooting charges also.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.