Cleaning out clutch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cleaning out clutch?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 08-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Cleaning out clutch?

So as is impossible to avoid in this area, I got into some mud yesterday. I made sure not to press the clutch in while in a puddle. I did have to use it while jammed out in general mud though. I'm curious if it is do-able and a good idea to rinse out your clutch after going through some mud. I'm interested to hear the opinions!

AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am curious how one would "rinse out a clutch?" Maybe after the wash cycle? Seriously, never heard of this procedure.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I am curious how one would "rinse out a clutch?" Maybe after the wash cycle? Seriously, never heard of this procedure.
Haha that's why I'm asking! I have no idea at all! I just figured if the advice is "don't use it underwater or gunk will get in" that would mean there is an opening that would allow for potential cleaning of it. Or maybe I'm just overthinking...
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

There is a small drainage hole at the very bottom of the bell housing. Not sure you could use it for any cleaning purpose. My old CJ2A had an inspection plate but haven't seen one of those lately.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Okay, thanks for putting my worries to rest!
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
spray down with aerosol brake cleaner... always a good thing after exposure to oil such as rear main leak (or on small chevy a bad oil sensor dumps oil down and makes the clutch slippy).

never heard of washing after a mud/water exposure though - the mud would disenegrate with the friction disc dust and water will evaporate...
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post

spray down with aerosol brake cleaner... always a good thing after exposure to oil such as rear main leak (or on small chevy a bad oil sensor dumps oil down and makes the clutch slippy).

never heard of washing after a mud/water exposure though - the mud would disenegrate with the friction disc dust and water will evaporate...
Thanks. I'm new to these stick shifts so I wanted to be careful!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.