Chrysler Wins Award for JK Bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Chrysler Wins Award for JK Bumpers

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 11-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Chrysler Wins Award for JK Bumpers

See this link:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061115/dew014.html?.v=72

Apparantly the JK Bumpers won the overall award for innovative use of plastics and the exterior award issued by the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE). According to the article, the plastic bumpers "offered a 12 percent piece-cost and assembly-cost reduction as well as a 9 percent weight reduction" when compared to the partial metal bumpers from the TJ.

cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
EagerJeeper

The engineers may be proud of it but it'll be the first thing I chunk.
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
famicom21

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerJeeper
The engineers may be proud of it but it'll be the first thing I chunk.
x2..... innovation can be ugly...
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #4
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

I like the look of the bumper and it seems stronger when I saw it in person. I also stood on it and jumped up and down (well, a little bit). It's great to have the weight reduction for the wrangler and the cost savings probably helped Chrysler (more profit) and possibly the consumers. Yes, the put in a lot of new technology and lowerd the price.

The new 2007 Wrangler (JK) brochure recommends the following for a winch: strong springs, shocks and heavy rated battery -- followed by a disappointing statement that an offroad bumper is required. Not very rewarding bumper if you want a winch.

The 2006 Wrangler (TJ) brochure only recommended the stronger springs, shocks and heavy duty battery.

Still I don't care. I'm buying a 2 door JK. Cool thing is Warn was created a combination winch-compressor unit called the Dualforce and I've found the front and rear bumpers I want. This plastics bumper award provided me the impetus to spend on my plastic a few more thousand dollars. In the end I'll have more of the Jeep I want but not with the award winning stock bumpers.
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #5
jpaddict

I think Jeeps were born to be modified.
Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue, extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
jpaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

doesnt say anything about the bumpers being stronger though,

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.