Chirping Sound in the Rear... Bad wheel bearing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Chirping Sound in the Rear... Bad wheel bearing?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Chirping Sound in the Rear... Bad wheel bearing?

Hello all,

I've had a chirping sound for quite some time but it comes and goes. Well now its back and it sounds like a freaking bird chirping when I'm coasting, braking, and sometimes accelerating. Brake system looks good. The sound does slightly change when mildly braking. I'm thinking it may be a bad wheel bearing as it sounds like its from my rear drivers side wheel. Question is...how do I confirm? I know if its a bad hub/bearing up front, you can jack the vehicle up and see if your wheel moves on the hub but I doubt this is a valid test for the rear. Any ideas would be greatly welcome.

Thanks!

ciphershort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

check your u-joints for seizing. most likely that is the chirp. remove the driveshaft (easy) and check articulation.
goodwrenchdave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
JeepersDigest

If one is capable of removing the rotors.. they might noticed a build up of mud etc in the drum part within the rotor. This drum part/area is there for the Emergency brake.. if left unclean or unchecked (routinely) the buildup of mud and debris can force the e-brake to lock up and disintegrate the brake pads completely. Remove the rotors, clean the area and grease the e-brake cable.
JeepersDigest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersDigest View Post
If one is capable of removing the rotors.. they might noticed a build up of mud etc in the drum part within the rotor. This drum part/area is there for the Emergency brake.. if left unclean or unchecked (routinely) the buildup of mud and debris can force the e-brake to lock up and disintegrate the brake pads completely. Remove the rotors, clean the area and grease the e-brake cable.
Yes the e-brake shoes rubbing is a possibility and very easy to check first... almost forgot . slightly pull on it while slowly rolling and see if the sound goes away. No need to remove all right away
goodwrenchdave is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
JeepersDigest

goodwrenchdave, NP.. in our case.. the rear brake pads were completely gone, reduced to a leaf, and once the caliper was removed, the pad (or what was left of them) simply floated to the ground..
JeepersDigest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sound doesn't change when applying the e-brake. I had that thought last week and tried it. I've had someone hang out the back of the Jeep while the sound was being made and they confirmed that it is definitely coming from the driver's side rear wheel. I'll see if I can take the rotor off and see if its dirty though.
Unread 04-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine was a loose shock bolt. Check them by hand...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Or rock the jeep from side to side with a friend...
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Mine was a loose shock bolt. Check them by hand...
Best way is by wrench...
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #10
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Applying a wrench would be a way to fix. I was giving a no doubt to troubleshooting...
Unread 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

thanks for all the help guys. rocking the jeep back and forth doesn't make the sound. shock bolts are tight as well. its only when the wheel is spinning. it really starts going off in the 30-40mph range on a flat straight road maintaining a constant speed. seems to be something circular as it happens at a certain point of the revolution of the tire for example when driving faster the chirps are closer together and when driving slower the chirps are farther apart if that makes sense.
Unread 04-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
Applying a wrench would be a way to fix. I was giving a no doubt to troubleshooting...
Well yes - but if you knew what a wrench party was...

It when the race crew gathers one last time pre race and every one gets a wrench. Then makes sure every damn bolt matching their wrench on the car is tight. That's really the ONLY way to know...

I was jus being facetious...
Unread 04-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
romank
2014 WK 

If those are disks and not drums it should be the metal tang that alerts you to the pads getting near replacement time. Easy test is lift the rear, chock off at least 2 of the other wheels, put in neutral and spin that tire. If you hear it then it's not the driveshaft and doubtful it's a bearing. Bearings tend to growl more than chirp. Odd because the fronts typically go first but.........
romank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
ciphershort
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romank View Post
If those are disks and not drums it should be the metal tang that alerts you to the pads getting near replacement time. Easy test is lift the rear, chock off at least 2 of the other wheels, put in neutral and spin that tire. If you hear it then it's not the driveshaft and doubtful it's a bearing. Bearings tend to growl more than chirp. Odd because the fronts typically go first but.........
They are disks. I checked the pads a while back and they still had plenty left. The only thing that has me thinking it isn't the brakes is I hear the chirp even when I'm not braking. Plus, brake pad squealers usually make a constant noise (not a chirp) since it is the metal in the pads making contact with the rotor.
Unread 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
Kiwi Jeeper
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had harmonic chirping like that from the right rear wheel recently. I took off the brakes and cleaned everything really well. Then greased the slid pins. Noise is gone for now.

One shop said my wheel bearings were gone. Another shop said disc was out of round or warped. I tried the simplest way first before spending money. For me it was a noise that went away when brakes were fully applied. No shudder or growling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.