checked out the JK yesterday - pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > checked out the JK yesterday - pics

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-22-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

checked out the JK yesterday - pics

stopped by the Jeep dealership here in NB to take a look at the JK. they have three in right now. two of them are 2wd. they are definitely trying to appeal to the current H2/H3 driving group. they put 20s on the 2wd 'X'. and left the 2wd sahara stock. the 4wd 'X' has black rims on it. i think the black looks good, but they are not something i would wheel with. this dealership doesn't waste anytime throwing accessories on new jeeps. they have a TJ decked out in garvin wilderness accessories front and rear bumpers/tire carrier with winch, lift, wheels and tires. and a few others with lifts and tires, etc.
all three are unlimiteds and fully loaded, short of navigation which none of them have right now.

first impressions after crawling around them...
very nice. comfy interior, plenty of room. it still feels like a wrangler inside. i remember thinking the TJ's interior was too 'pretty' before i got mine. the interior of the JK is pretty, but it will become a normal sight within time. it definitely feels solid. when you shut the doors, it feels like a truck. they are much more solid than TJ doors. at the same time, it will totally have the jeep feeling with the doors off and top down. the rear cargo area is cavernous. if you fold the seats down, it's down right huge. i do think i would prefer seats that are completely removeable, but of course it would loose space that way.

anyway, i won't be getting one of these in this life time. just enjoyed checking out the next generation.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:06 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's interesting about the rims. I discussed that with the head engineer and he said that the engineers had a big battle with marketing over the rim size. The market wanted bigger rims like 18's and 20's and the engineers got them to compromise smaller for better performance offroad.

One of the ways they did that was to allow marketing to offer a larger rim and tire package as an option.

I'd guess your comment about taking some market share away from the H-3 crowd would be pretty accurate. Bigger rims for the street folks are here to stay, so why limit your customer base?
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #3
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

exactly....
i was talking with one of the sales guys and he was basically saying they put the large BLING rims on them before they even put it on the lot because that's what people said they were wanting. they had the rims and tires at the dealership waiting to go on before they actually got the jeeps. people are going to buy it because it's big and now flashy with the wheels. and they won't even care that it's only 2wd. basically they will have a convertible SUV (as far as they are concerned) with big wheels. it's the appeal of the flashy hummers, but you can take the top down on these.

i would fully expect to see as many of these unlimited wranglers with as much chrome as hummers get, as you will offroad accessorized jeeps.

i'm interested in what's going to happen at SEMA this year. i would imagine a large amount of lifted, locked and skid'd up TKs, and an equal amount of chrome TKs.
Unread 09-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
LEDFoot
1999 WJ 

Oh lord, those are some crazy rims...
Though... I bet they will get you laid and that's all that matters right...
LEDFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #5
jimday1982

My god - those pictures are absolutely hilarious. Now all we need is one with spinners and we're set!

Oh, and maybe a triple-decker bat wing on top
jimday1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
05tjx

already see where the jk is going by these pics bling bling dog who would take those rims on the trail
05 tj x, 4in procomp stage 2, aem intake, tbs, jet chip, 3312.50 15 on 15x10 weld supersingles, quick discos, 4.56s, detroit truetrac in the front and super 35 kit with a detroit in the rear,and other stuff
05tjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

trust me, that is probably one of the more tame ones you're going to see. just wait.

this thing is already in one R&B music video. the public is going to get a hold of this thing and go crazy. half the price of an H2 and a convertible?? it's going to get nuts.
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tjx
already see where the jk is going by these pics bling bling dog who would take those rims on the trail
no one....it's a 2wheel drive
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This goes to show that marketing is running Jeep, and that heritage and legacy are not the first consideration.

I'm really surprised that the new JK (at least the four-door version) is not the upcoming redesigned Liberty (for '08 I believe). I recall responding to a Jeep survey last year asking how often I wheel? I'm sure that their marketing wants to know, because if not a lot of people do, then they can make the case to start removing more expensive parts to keep the sticker price down.

P.S. So does Jeep now offer a stock boom box in the back?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:35 AM   #10
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

if by boom box you are refering to a subwoofer, then yes there is a single 8" in a driver's side firing enclosure that attaches to the passenger side in the rear cargo area. not sure how it sounds, but it is part of the Infinity sound system that also incorporates coaxial speakers in the soundbar and a component set in the dash with the woofer in the normal loction and the tweeter in its own pod on top of the dash facing the driver.
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

hmm that kind of makes me sad
I think I am starting to tear up

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #12
Laxstar46

I think waht some of us hardcore off roading ppl need to realize is that the old heritage of jeeps doesnt sell. If they market those 2wd things to the majority of ppl that will buy them to be just another suv. Then they will have the 2 door 4wd ones for us hardcore off roaders. If jeep doesnt market to the majority then they will end up not selling enough of the wranglers and perhaps quit making them. I think what marketing thought was the ppl like us iwth off road in mind would be able to look past this part of the marketing and realize that jeep still makes a great off roading vehicle. It's just that they need to sell these things. And who can hate on jeep for expanding their market base and trying to get mroe consumers. Now if they would have discontinued the 2 door and made them all like that pic then we would have a real reason to get mad
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
Pags54

Didn't know they were coming out with an "Pimp Unlimited" what's next spinners?
Unread 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
Karamba

My eyes... Ze goggles do nothing...
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
exc911ence

Those wheels make baby Jesus cry...
exc911ence is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.