Check things after you lift...1 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Check things after you lift...1

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #46
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood5 View Post
OK...10 months later, but I appreciate your joke, even though no one else made mention of it.....

m
Thanks. I was laughing so hard at the time I could hardly type it. Doesnít seem so funny now but at the timeÖ

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #47
voodooJK
2008 JK Wrangler 

I can't ever seem to get the caulk in my hands without cracking up and making jokes the whole time, but I'm kinda screwed up that way.
I guess you could say, I enjoy the caulk.

Oh, good write up too.

Colorado Jeep Club member #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
What you are witnessing, dear friends, is the most enormous miracle of the machine age.
voodooJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #48
4LCKDRUBIUNLTD
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice write up.Very detailed w/ pics. Couldn't ask for more. I will be doing this soon.
4LCKDRUBIUNLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #49
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LCKDRUBIUNLTD View Post
Nice write up.Very detailed w/ pics. Couldn't ask for more. I will be doing this soon.
Thanks for the compliment. Hope all goes well.
Unread 07-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #50
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooJK View Post
I guess you could say, I enjoy the caulk.
Man, you are one brave soul to post that for the world to see. Hereís to you.

Edit: To keep this tech I took a look the other day at my cock, ur, I mean caulk job and all is well. Still good as new.
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #51
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was squeezing on my caulk the other day and made a real mess (damn near shot it across the room). Good thing my caulk cleans up with soap and water.

Nice write-up btw!

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #52
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thatís the way it was for me when I was younger, now I just take my time and it just oozes out. Most of the time I will put my finger in it and spread it around.
Unread 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #53
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker View Post
I was squeezing on my caulk the other day and made a real mess (damn near shot it across the room). Good thing my caulk cleans up with soap and water.

Nice write-up btw!

I just spit coffee on my key board, i wont clean up so easy.

222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #54
SuperGlueHero
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do you think a jigsaw with the appropriate blade would work on the pinch seam or is there not enough room? Also, to the original poster, did you have to protect what was behind the pinch seam when using a plasma cutter? I'm investigating options. I can rent a plasma cutter for $44/day, but I've never used one before. I do know how long it takes to cut stuff with cut-off wheels and hack saws though...
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #55
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not a direct answer to your question, but I was told a saws all works too. I plan on cutting mine some time this spring or summer.

Let me know if you end up using a jig saw.
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #56
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlueHero View Post
Do you think a jigsaw with the appropriate blade would work on the pinch seam or is there not enough room? Also, to the original poster, did you have to protect what was behind the pinch seam when using a plasma cutter? I'm investigating options. I can rent a plasma cutter for $44/day, but I've never used one before. I do know how long it takes to cut stuff with cut-off wheels and hack saws though...
I suppose a jigsaw would work just hold onto it with two hands though. Donít waste your time and money with a plasma cutter on the pinch seam just for the fact that it wont cut the filler that is sandwiched between the sheet metal. Also if you did use the plasma cutter you will get all kinds of red hot splatter shooting back at you as it cuts through the first layer and hits the second layer.
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #57
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

I cut my pinch seam the other day with a sawzall and it cut through it like hot butter. Took longer to tape off the cut line and work up the nerve. Afterwards, I filled the void and raw edge with JB Weld. I've got a picture in my build thread (link in my sig.)

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #58
Perkalater79
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker
I cut my pinch seam the other day with a sawzall and it cut through it like hot butter. Took longer to tape off the cut line and work up the nerve. Afterwards, I filled the void and raw edge with JB Weld. I've got a picture in my build thread (link in my sig.)
Did you o back and paint it?
Perkalater79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #59
goofball
2013 JK Wrangler 

1222 nice write up. I just installed new tires 285/75/17's and noticed that I now only have 1" gap at the rear pinch seam and rubi rail. How much distance are you guys making this.. stock had 2 1/4"

again nice write up and pics...
goofball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #60
wranglerboy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks

I have heard of people doing this all the time but this is the first detailed explanation I have personally seen so I appreciate the detail and time you put into it.
wranglerboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
checklist , clearance , issues , JK Wrangler , lift , pinch seam , problems after lift , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.