Check things after you lift...1 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Check things after you lift...1

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Check things after you lift...1

I was thinking that I would have to trim my Rock Sliders and pinch seam with the 35 BFG KM2ís installed so I tried it out on a little dirt mound in my yard. Glad I did, because if I would have gone wheeling there would have been some serious damage done to my rear tires. I know itís been done a thousand times before, but for those that arenít quite sure, here are a few pics of how itís done.

This is the small dirt mound i used.

Good thing i got out to see how close the tire was getting.

Thereís a plastic retainer plug that keeps the end cap from coming off. It will have to be removed to separate the cap from the Slider.

Although I used a plasma cutter, you can use a swazall, cut-off wheel or hack saw. I measured 1inch and made my cuts.

After the cut, clean it all up.

Next, measure carefully so you can drill a new hole for the retainer clip.

Paint drilled hole to keep it from rusting.

Reinstall Slider and mark the pinch seam for cutting.

Remove Slider and use tape and square to make straight lines for an accurate cut.

This is what it will look like after the cut.

Fill-in with you favorite tube of silicon. Although itís not shown in this pic, use something to smooth the silicon before painting the cut.

Pinch seam is all finished and painted.

Rock Slider installed. Thatís it. Repeat on other side.

This is a pic of the Jeep in the same spot on the dirt mound as in the beginning. As you can see, there is now plenty of room.

Iíve read how some people pound over the pinch seam with a hammer, but I personally donít like the ďhacked jobĒ look. I didnít time it, but this mod really doesnít take long. I guess it would depend on the cutting method.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
infernicus
2007 KJ Liberty 

That is such a great write-up!! thanks so much for taking out the time, and making people feel more comfortable doing it.
I will most definitely be doing this next week to my friend's JK.
Unread 05-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Youíre welcome. I know what its like to hear about how to do things but itís another thing when it comes to actually doing it, especially if youíve never attempted it before. Good luck on your friends Jeep.

JK Wrangler dash mount for Cellphones, GPS units, GoPro cameras, Spot devices etc.
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
drowe303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Why reinstall the sliders before cutting the pinch seam? Why not just measure an inch off and cut. That way you don't have to take the sliders off, put them on, then take them off again, then put them back on.
drowe303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe303 View Post
Why reinstall the sliders before cutting the pinch seam? Why not just measure an inch off and cut. That way you don't have to take the sliders off, put them on, then take them off again, then put them back on.
I wanted to make sure that the cut line was exactly lined up with the Slider. Even though I measured an inch on the sliders, after the cut is done and the die grinder to clean things up, it could actually be a bit more than the original inch. It was no big deal with the Slider. All you have to do is just place it on the Jeep. The way it bolts on with the studs, it holds its self up. No need to bolt it on. Takes no more than a minute all said and done. I like the clean look.

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
drowe303
2007 JK Wrangler 

oh, gotcha. Wasnt sure how much work was involved with removing and installing the sliders. Looks great though!
drowe303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

nice writeup.

love the light bar! what kind is it? got anymore pics?
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe303 View Post
oh, gotcha. Wasnt sure how much work was involved with removing and installing the sliders. Looks great though!
I wasnít sure either. Very simple though. By the way, theyíre quite stout too. I was surprised.

Unread 05-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Ditto nice write-up and pics. I did the same to mine, but I used the sawzall and took 2.5" off each rail. Used the RTV to seal up and hold the caps on the ends of the rails and when I cut the pinch seam down too.

Nice job and good looking Jeep.
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 03:12 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjpwrangler View Post
love the light bar! what kind is it? got anymore pics?
Itís actually part of my roof rack. When itís finished I plan on doing a wright-up on it.

Unread 05-08-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Excellent write up.

Would the amount you trimmed off leave enough room for 37" KM2s? Right now I have 35" MTZs and the pinch seam/rail was never and issue.

Thanks.
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Excellent write up.

Would the amount you trimmed off leave enough room for 37" KM2s? Right now I have 35" MTZs and the pinch seam/rail was never and issue.

Thanks.
I am curious about that too. I currently have 35's on a 5" lift and havent had ANY issues with the rock slide or pinch seams. Currently have plenty of room for tire to get by, but if I was to goto 37's I would probably need to do this, but am curious if this alone will make enough room for those larger diameter tires?
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I donít see why you guys would have plenty of room for your tires unless you have adjustable rear control arms and are able to re-center your axle. Even so, the rear of the tire might then become an issue. Maybe too youíre bump stops are really tall. Are you sure you flexed it out all the way? I have literally only a fraction on an inch clearance between my tire and fender as it is. Anyhow, I doubt very much that just an inch off the pinch seam would be enough to clear 37ís.

Unread 05-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I was thinking that I would have to trim my Rock Sliders and pinch seam with the 35 BFG KM2ís installed so I tried it out on a little dirt mound in my yard. Glad I did, because if I would have gone wheeling there would have been some serious damage done to my rear tires. I know itís been done a thousand times before, but for those that arenít quite sure, here are a few pics of how itís done.

This is the small dirt mound i used.

Good thing i got out to see how close the tire was getting.

Thereís a plastic retainer plug that keeps the end cap from coming off. It will have to be removed to separate the cap from the Slider.

Although I used a plasma cutter, you can use a swazall, cut-off wheel or hack saw. I measured 1inch and made my cuts.

After the cut, clean it all up.

Next, measure carefully so you can drill a new hole for the retainer clip.

Paint drilled hole to keep it from rusting.

Reinstall Slider and mark the pinch seam for cutting.

Remove Slider and use tape and square to make straight lines for an accurate cut.

This is what it will look like after the cut.

Fill-in with you favorite tube of silicon. Although itís not shown in this pic, use something to smooth the silicon before painting the cut.

Pinch seam is all finished and painted.

Rock Slider installed. Thatís it. Repeat on other side.

This is a pic of the Jeep in the same spot on the dirt mound as in the beginning. As you can see, there is now plenty of room.

Iíve read how some people pound over the pinch seam with a hammer, but I personally donít like the ďhacked jobĒ look. I didnít time it, but this mod really doesnít take long. I guess it would depend on the cutting method.
Very clean job ! Thanks for posting this , really did a nice job
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 03:44 AM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
Very clean job ! Thanks for posting this , really did a nice job
Thank you!

Tags
checklist , clearance , issues , JK Wrangler , lift , pinch seam , problems after lift , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.