Check engine light with no diag-code? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Check engine light with no diag-code?

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Check engine light with no diag-code?

So my check engine light has been popping on for the last month. I switch weights of oil 10w-10 to 5w30 and assumed that was the problem after checking all the fluids (since it came on the day after my oil change).I reset the engine like with my procal and it has came back twice in the last two weeks. I tightend the gas cap almost everytime i drive it to make sure that isnt it. So I did the key trick and tried to pull the diag-code on the dash and it gives me --------- and then "none". I cant refer it to any codes in the FAQ section. can any one steer me in the right direction. i wanna get the light resolved before i reset it again with the tuner.

I feel like my jeep is just messing with my head and laughing at me.

www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was going to say go to Autozone, but from what I recall of Mildenhall/Lakenheath there aren't any nearby. lol

Do you have an android device (phone, tablet)? If so, buy a cheap ELM327 device and the torque app. I bought the cheapest device I could find on Amazon ($12 or so) and it communicates well with my '12.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

have it scanned with a reader. it must have a code. but with out getting the code. its a guessing game
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Gotta be scanned - not all codes will show in the dash display. when I burnt one of the evap solenoid lines after a dual battery install - the light came on for an evap out of range - but would not display on dash - so I bought a 99.00 accuscan handheld and keep it with the Jeep now.
Unread 11-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Well now that i think of it...one day i had my radio blasting and it made the batterylow...to the point where the battery light came on...which in turn made the chek engine light come on. ..i did recharge the battery but have been having this check engine light thing ever since

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
Unread 11-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

pretty sure only on demand codes show on the dash, don't think continuous memory will. so in other words like stated above get it scanned.
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Spook45
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check your gascap. Some of the newer models actually have a gas cap light, but mines an 08 and if the gascap is not tight , the check engine light will come on and it takes a couple of days for it to go off. its wiered but as soon as I tighten it(left it off a couple of times) the Check engine light will go off.
Spook45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #8
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Changed the gas cap 2 weeks after the thread was started. Cel code never came back!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
Unread 01-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook45 View Post
Check your gascap. Some of the newer models actually have a gas cap light, but mines an 08 and if the gascap is not tight , the check engine light will come on and it takes a couple of days for it to go off. its wiered but as soon as I tighten it(left it off a couple of times) the Check engine light will go off.
Your '08 should have the Gascap warning. Mine does, that type of feature shouldn't be part of a specific trim package, who knows tho. Full service employee forgot to put gas cap on. Drove home. Started it up the next day got the "Gascap" warning on my instrument panel. For those who haven't seen it, it is just the word "Gascap" on your instrument panel where the digital mileage is usually displayed.

Got out and tightened gascap, and the warning went off after I restarted the engine.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.