check engine light - low oil pressure - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > check engine light - low oil pressure

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #31
Proto732
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Altitude w/ 7K and I've had the oil pressure light come on and go off in under a minute at least 7 times since purchase in July. A few of the times it went off, I found I was in the same place in my morning commute... so I was thinking sensor malfunction.

It had not happened in a couple months so I was also thinking maybe something to do with the temperature being colder. Today it happened in that familiar leg of my commute, and I felt a difference in the engine power. I've seen some others mention an RPM cutoff when this happens. So I have an appointment with a dealer setup for tomorrow morning. This is my fourth, and most expensive Jeep. No loaners from either of the dealers I've called unless the issue is pre-diagnosed and will take more than two days to repair. Definitely not something I was expecting to deal with on a brand new vehicle.

Proto732 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

You did check the oil, right?
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #33
Proto732
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio
You did check the oil, right?
Naturally. Each time it has happened I've pulled over and checked it. Then again after cool down. Never been low.

This time the check engine light stayed on also.

Just dropped it off for diagnosis.
Unread 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #34
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had to ask. I read something about oil pumps being backordered at dealers, which suggests there's an issue there; hopefully it's just a sensor/sending unit. I was in the middle of a 2500-mile road trip in my YJ when the oil pressure sending unit crapped out and spooked the hell out of me.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #35
Proto732
2012 JK Wrangler 

So they had it all day Wednesday and I got a call at 3pm. Basically they had changed the oil and applied a software update that corresponded to the error code.

All day for what I would guess is 30 min of work.

After this work they started it up and it the low oil pressure alert went off immediately. The next step in their troubleshooting script was to drop the pan and inspect the pump. They wouldn't have time to do that Wed, so they kept it overnight.

He "suggested" that with the holiday and weekend, if they had to order parts they might not be able to even work on the car until 12/26.

He said he would put me "on the list" for a loaner. I left a message today asking for an update ... No call back.
Unread 12-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #36
Proto732
2012 JK Wrangler 

Didn't mean for that post to get so ranty. Just wanted to share my experience for anyone else facing this.

When they dropped the pan, and inspected the pump they found no signs of a problem. They validated there were no obstructions and that the oil pump was indeed moving oil. They ordered a new oil pump, but it won't arrive at the dealer until 12/26.

Rather than a loaner I asked if they could just put my Jeep back together and I would take it for the holiday, then return it on the 26th. The mechanic thought this would be fine as they knew the oil pump was working properly. Service manager agreed so I picked it up Friday night.

While I was idling in a parking lot on Saturday I noticed the low oil pressure light was on; but I don't recall hearing the chimes go off. Also there was no Check Engine light on with it this time. I shut the engine off for 30 seconds, and turned it back on ... and poof the light was gone again.
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Nige1521
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi,
I bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in September 2012 and the vehicle has been great..........until now! Yesterday, the engine management system light came on and a few hours later, I tried to accelerate, but there was a complete loss of power at 2500 rpm. I have taken the vehicle into my dealership to be told that the oil pressure sensor was bad. So, today, the dealership reset the issue, but on a test drive, the fault re-occurred. I have now been told that the vehicle needs a new Oil Pump, a "big job" as the service department say!!

Looking at this thread and it would appear that this is a design fault, not a random act! I have emailed Chrysler Canada and await their reply.

In the meantime, my vehicle is in the dealership awaiting the part and the repair!

Nige1521
Nige1521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #38
CTRUBICON
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just wanted to update--- after the light went on and off too many times to count (2013 JKUR picked up 10/12) went to dealer again on December 17th. They finally decided to replace oil pump. Got my Jeep back on December 19th and have driven it about 1500 miles over my vacation. NO LIGHT!!!!! Hopefully that was the fix I needed. I don't want to do and mods until I am sure it's not a lemon!
I too lost hp after 3k rpms. I explained to the dealer that this was a safety issue. They told me that if you pull over, turn off your Jeep and then restart it - the code will reset and take you out of the "limp" mode. Hopefully this will be helpful -
Good luck -----
CTRUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
Proto732
2012 JK Wrangler 

Update on my 2012.

Dropped it off for the oil pump change on 12/26. Was supposed to have it back same day, but they found the main rear seal was leaking and had to keep it an extra day to replace that as well. With regard to the pump, my work invoice states: "Tech found selinoid sticking"

Everything seemed to be going well until this week. In that familiar spot on my commute the Low Oil Pressure light came on for just a second, and the chime dinged once. No RPM decrease, and no check engine light.

Then today again on my commute (different place) the chime went off, sunlight prevented me from seeing if the Low Oil Pressure came on, and the check engine light came on, and stayed on.

I pulled the code off the OBD: P0105, same one as when this all started. I thought that the computer flash they did on the first visit (SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-025-12) was supposed to resolve it.

I will have to call the dealer again tomorrow and see how we proceed. The last time I picked it up the service manager did admit mine was not the first one they had worked on with this issue. I got the impression they had to go back to Chrysler Engineering each time to determine what to try next.
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #40
HllywdJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Bought Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon new end of October 2012.

700 miles, check engine light came on, brought it to my shop and checked the codes. Found P06DD, cleared the code, checked the oil and the filter and planned on keeping an eye on it.

1,500 miles, light came back, P06DD Brought it to Jeep, they did an oil change and flashed the computer.

2,300 miles, light came back, still P06dd. Brought it to Jeep, they replaced the pressure sending unit and the solenoid and gave it an oil change.

3,900 miles, light came back, and surprise P06DD. Brought it to Jeep, they replaced the oil pump, but also checked the rod bearings and other crap, found noting wrong until they realized that there is two bolts that go into the rear main seal retainer that were not removed when they did the work warping the retainer causing a rear main leak. Probably what happened to you Proto732... Transmission was removed and issue fixed. After 16 days, i got my Jeep back today, made it 4 miles and my traction control light came on. Seriously?

3,959 miles… it's going back to Jeep in the morning to see what else they screwed up. I really don't want this Jeep anymore… so lets hope they take another 7 days and hit GA lemon law status.
HllywdJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #41
Proto732
2012 JK Wrangler 

HllywdJeep thanks for the update. Good to understand how that seal came into play.

I dropped my Jeep off this week for next steps. There were two codes being thrown this time (I don't have the numbers yet). One was something like Oil Pump valve stuck closed, and Oil Pump valve won't open.

According to the dealer, Chrysler Engineering said there are two sensors in the Oil Filter Housing throwing these codes. They ordered a new housing, and replaced it the following day. Unfortunately the codes are still evident; this did not solve the problem.

Today Chrysler Engineering has them tracing wiring.

I am beginning have the same feeling about my Jeep, yeah the warranty should cover everything for a few years, but I am not having a good feeling about its future reliablility. The whole reason I got a new vehicle was because I was tired of patching up my deteriorating 2005 Liberty.

I love my Jeep but for the price of a fully loaded Altitude, and the number of decent loaners I've been in and out of I am also questioning what you get for that premium price tag. You would think Jeep would invest a little more effort in fit and finish for one of their most profitable vehicles.
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #42
CTRUBICON
2013 JK Wrangler 

my update ------ since the oil pump has been change - no problems. Good luck you guys!
CTRUBICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #43
HllywdJeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Update…
I got my Jeep back monday after dropping it off for the traction control light. Apparently there is one month worth of bad dynamic speed sensors made for our Jeeps and mine got one. Not sure if i really believe it though, since it happened four miles after they pulled my transmission for the rear main seal. I have put about 200 miles on it and so far nothing, but it is back at Jeep 4 days after getting it back. I was at a customers house, where i had my jeep parked on a hill for hours. We came outside and were talking, when we heard a pop and then watched my Jeep go rolling down the hill and slam into the back of my customers car. The parking brake lever had decided to jump half way down and not hold the car anymore. I moved the Jeep and reapplied the brake and it held the vehicle, then i thought back to every day, when i park in my driveway, a slope of course, when i pull the brake up, it'll sometimes jump back down a few notches while still in my hand and i have to pull it back up and make sure it locks. I just thought i wasn't pulling it past the last notch so it just didnt catch, but now i think its just faulty. I TRULY think I have a lemon here
HllywdJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #44
mrdeezus
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Additional, related info for the code P06DD (from TechCONNECT):

Vehicles have been showing up at Dealers with engine runs rough and/or Diagnostic Trouble Code P06DD set. Dealers during normal diagnosis could also identify that the oil pressure is low.
Beside the normal diagnostic procedure possible causes the two items below should be verified:
1. One cause of this has been determined to be that the wrong oil filter has been installed after an oil change by an independent repair facility or the Customer that has
purchased the oil filter in the aftermarket. These filters may be too short or even slightly too wide .
If this is present, first verify that the correct Mopar oil filter has been installed. This can be done by verifying the part number on the filter or that the filter has the Mopar
symbol on it. If the incorrect filter is installed correct this condition and inform the customer that they should return to the point of purchase for a refund.
The correct Mopar part number is 68079744AB.
. 2. The second cause has been determined to be a cut or slit in the O-ring at the top of the pick-up tube on the oil pump. A bore scope can be used to view the top of the pick-up tube to see if the O-ring is not seated all the way around the tube. The O-ring is blue in color and it should not be visible if installed properly

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
MIL Illuminated Or U-Codes or C-Code Active/Stored Due To Harness Rub Through
Diagnosis:
Verify vehicle complaint and perform diagnostics for the DTC. There is potential for the wiring harness to rub on the A/C hose. The codes that may be stored or active are; P1618, C2204, U1404, U1400, P0018, P0345, P0349, P0019, P0390, P0394, P0298, P1239, P0196, P0197, P0198, P0520, P0521, P0523, P1524, P0340, P0365, P0108, P0107, P0111, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0118, P0128, P0129, P2181, P0344, P0365, P0369, P0652, P0653, P0107, P0108, P0315, P0335, P0336, P0339, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P000A, P06DA, P06DD, P2181, P0117, P0116
If the condition is intermittent, or the diagnostics were inconclusive, perform the below repair procedure.
Repair Procedure:
1. Inspect wiring harness.
2. If wiring harness is damaged repair as necessary.
Verification:
Start vehicle and run to operating temperature. Road test to verify that the DTC does not return.
Same code here Po6dd. I change my own oil and get my filters from Napa. The oil ring is that the one that comes with the oil filter and if not where do I find it??
mrdeezus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #45
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HllywdJeep
Update…
I got my Jeep back monday after dropping it off for the traction control light. Apparently there is one month worth of bad dynamic speed sensors made for our Jeeps and mine got one. Not sure if i really believe it though, since it happened four miles after they pulled my transmission for the rear main seal. I have put about 200 miles on it and so far nothing, but it is back at Jeep 4 days after getting it back. I was at a customers house, where i had my jeep parked on a hill for hours. We came outside and were talking, when we heard a pop and then watched my Jeep go rolling down the hill and slam into the back of my customers car. The parking brake lever had decided to jump half way down and not hold the car anymore. I moved the Jeep and reapplied the brake and it held the vehicle, then i thought back to every day, when i park in my driveway, a slope of course, when i pull the brake up, it'll sometimes jump back down a few notches while still in my hand and i have to pull it back up and make sure it locks. I just thought i wasn't pulling it past the last notch so it just didnt catch, but now i think its just faulty. I TRULY think I have a lemon here
Do you leave the jeep in 1st while parked? Surely you don't rely on just the parking brake to hold your Jeep in a sloped driveway??

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.