check engine light - low oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > check engine light - low oil pressure

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

check engine light - low oil pressure

My 2012 is throwing check engine light errors, specifically low oil pressure. Two trips to the dealership, they see the codes but everything checks out.

this happen to anyone else?

just getting started.....
MoreMud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

I've not seen this, but I've only had my JK for about a week now. Did they check the oil pressure at idle and rev with a manual pressure gauge? If the pressure is stable and not dropping while idling or driving, could be a wiring problem, bad sensor, ECM issue, etc... Checking the pressure sensor should be relatively easy for them...usually a matter of checking resistance.

--Wintermute
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

What is the explanation from the dealership? Did they explain why you get the low pressure light?

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
JeepCares

(Ignore if not relevant)

Not sure exactly which code was thrown:

Info from the Service Manual:
P0522-OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW

When Monitored:
With the ignition key on and battery voltage above 10.4 volts.
Set Condition:
The oil pressure sensor voltage at Powertrain Control Module (PCM) goes below the minimum acceptable value. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes
(G6) OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(G6) OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(G6) OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
OIL PRESSURE SWITCH
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

1.ACTIVE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC)

NOTE: Make sure that the engine oil is at the proper level. Also, review the customers oil change history to ensure that the oil is being changed at the correct intervals and that the proper oil viscosity is being used.
1. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions may result in possible serious or fatal injury.
2. Using the scan tool, read the active DTCs.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes
Go To 2
No
Perform the INTERMITTENT CONDITION diagnostic procedure..

2.OIL PRESSURE SWITCH

1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Disconnect the Oil Pressure Switch harness connector.
3. Ignition on, engine not running.
4. Connect a jumper wire to the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit in the Sensor harness connector.
5. With the scan tool monitor the Oil Pressure Switch state.
6. Connect a jumper wire between the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit and the (G6) Engine Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

NOTE: Engine Oil Pressure voltage should change from approximately 4.5 volts to less than 0.5 volt.

Is the voltage reading within the listed specification when the jumper wire is installed?

Yes
Verify that there is good pin to terminal contact in the Switch and Powertrain Control Module connectors. Replace the Oil Pressure Switch if no problems were found in the connector. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST.
No
Go To 3 NOTE:Remove the jumper wire before continuing.

3.(G6) OIL PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Disconnect the PCM C2 harness connector.
3. Ignition on, engine not running.
4. Measure the voltage on the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit in the Switch harness connector.

Is there any voltage present?

Yes
Repair the short to voltage on the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit.
Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST.
No
Go To 4

4.(G6) OIL PRESSURE SWITCH SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

1. Measure the resistance of the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit from the Oil Pressure Switch harness connector to the PCM C2 harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 Ohms?

Yes
Go To 5
No
Repair the open in the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit.

5.(G6) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

1. Measure the resistance between a known good ground and the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit in the Switch connector.

Is the resistance below 100 Ohms?

Yes
Repair the short to ground in the (G6) Oil Pressure Signal circuit.
No
Go To 6

6.POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
4. Perform any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were there any problems found?

Yes
Repair as necessary.
No
Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) in accordance with the Service Information.
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

thank you Lee !

Very interesting, the service writer did ask about oil changes etc, all good. this seems to be an intermittant problem, they see the codes but were unable to reproduce. They are telling me they manually checked the oil pressure and it's ok, however they are refusing to change the sensor or do anything else until they can find the fault.

this was my second trip to the dealership for this problem, and it's still doing it.
Unread 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

code is

po6dd engine oil control circuit shut off
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMud View Post
thank you Lee !

Very interesting, the service writer did ask about oil changes etc, all good. this seems to be an intermittant problem, they see the codes but were unable to reproduce. They are telling me they manually checked the oil pressure and it's ok, however they are refusing to change the sensor or do anything else until they can find the fault.

this was my second trip to the dealership for this problem, and it's still doing it.
How long until it's out of warranty (mileage and time)?

I had an issue with the Volvo I traded in for my new Jeep. The issue was that intermittently, the traction control light would come on, then the brake abs failure light, then it would drop into limp home mode, then immobilizer (shuts off and locks the key in the ignition). The dealership didn't write down the full set of details of issues when the vehicle was under warranty and kept doing stupid little things like re-flashing the ECM, saying it was a loose ECM connection, etc... As soon as the vehicle was out of warranty they started saying I needed electrical modules replaced. Contacted Volvo and since the repairs under warranty weren't properly documented, they wouldn't pay for it as an issue which occured under warranty but which wasn't fixed.

I don't know your situation, or how your dealership is, but I would make sure they document it thoroughly in the system (heck, bring them a write-up of exactly what you want written in). I learned my lesson the hard way...had to dump 2k in one month on my Volvo just so that I could trade it in (wouldn't make it to the trade in dealership until the ECM was completely re-written).

Also, it sounds like the trouble shooting manual shows test everything and if everything tests out good, then replace the ECM. I'm wondering if your dealership just doesn't want to replace the ECM due to the cost of the repair.

--Wintermute
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
JeepCares

This is what I found for
P06DD-DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW in the service manual:

Theory of Operation
The engine oil pump features seven vanes and a moving element that continuously adjusts to maintain a regulated oil pressure supply by varying the displacement of the pump. The pump has two regulated pressure stages of operation controlled by an on/off solenoid. Low pressure mode regulation (solenoid on) is approximately 200 kPa (29 psi) and high pressure mode regulation (solenoid off) is approximately 450 kPa (65 psi). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) switches the pump between stages based on engine operating conditions, oil and coolant temperatures, speed and load. Under most typical conditions, the pump will run in low mode from idle up to around 3000 rpm and switch from low to high mode between 3000 and 4000 rpm. The maximum oil pressure in the engine is limited to 1000 kPa (145 psi) by the relief valve. Pressure in the main oil gallery of the engine can be monitored with diagnostic equipment through the oil pressure sensor mounted on the rear of the oil filter module. The minimum pressure for the engine is 41 kPa (6 psi) at any operating condition. Anything under this pressure could result in damage to critical moving parts.

When Monitored:
Based upon Engine oil temperature, the monitor runs when engine speed (RPM) is over a calibrated value. The cooler the engine oil, the lower is the enable engine speed (Minimum 1000rpm). To evaluate the dual stage oil pump, fully warm up the engine. To run DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP STUCK LOW (P06DD), drive vehicle with engine speed over 3500 rpm.

Set Condition:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) senses the oil pressure is less than a low threshold for 5 seconds. One Trip fault.

Possible Causes
ENGINE MECHANICAL FAILURE
ENGINE OIL PRESSURE SENSOR
DUAL STAGE OIL PUMP
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
JeepCares

Additional, related info for the code P06DD (from TechCONNECT):

Vehicles have been showing up at Dealers with engine runs rough and/or Diagnostic Trouble Code P06DD set. Dealers during normal diagnosis could also identify that the oil pressure is low.
Beside the normal diagnostic procedure possible causes the two items below should be verified:
1. One cause of this has been determined to be that the wrong oil filter has been installed after an oil change by an independent repair facility or the Customer that has
purchased the oil filter in the aftermarket. These filters may be too short or even slightly too wide .
If this is present, first verify that the correct Mopar oil filter has been installed. This can be done by verifying the part number on the filter or that the filter has the Mopar
symbol on it. If the incorrect filter is installed correct this condition and inform the customer that they should return to the point of purchase for a refund.
The correct Mopar part number is 68079744AB.
. 2. The second cause has been determined to be a cut or slit in the O-ring at the top of the pick-up tube on the oil pump. A bore scope can be used to view the top of the pick-up tube to see if the O-ring is not seated all the way around the tube. The O-ring is blue in color and it should not be visible if installed properly

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
MIL Illuminated Or U-Codes or C-Code Active/Stored Due To Harness Rub Through
Diagnosis:
Verify vehicle complaint and perform diagnostics for the DTC. There is potential for the wiring harness to rub on the A/C hose. The codes that may be stored or active are; P1618, C2204, U1404, U1400, P0018, P0345, P0349, P0019, P0390, P0394, P0298, P1239, P0196, P0197, P0198, P0520, P0521, P0523, P1524, P0340, P0365, P0108, P0107, P0111, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0118, P0128, P0129, P2181, P0344, P0365, P0369, P0652, P0653, P0107, P0108, P0315, P0335, P0336, P0339, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P000A, P06DA, P06DD, P2181, P0117, P0116
If the condition is intermittent, or the diagnostics were inconclusive, perform the below repair procedure.
Repair Procedure:
1. Inspect wiring harness.
2. If wiring harness is damaged repair as necessary.
Verification:
Start vehicle and run to operating temperature. Road test to verify that the DTC does not return.
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Also, it sounds like the trouble shooting manual shows test everything and if everything tests out good, then replace the ECM. I'm wondering if your dealership just doesn't want to replace the ECM due to the cost of the repair.
The dealer gets paid by Chrysler to make warranty repairs.
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Wintermute
1967 FSJ Gladiator 

My Volvo dealer got paid by Volvo to make the repairs...apparently though, they got less for repairs under warranty than they did with repairs paid by the customer.

--Wintermute
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar issue, turned out that the PVC valve was full of sludge. Worth checking.
Unread 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
MoreMud
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's a brand new 2012 w/ 7k on it.
Unread 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
SACCO

Mine is doing the same thing. 8k miles. Dealer just changed oil. Light came back on 5 miles down road. Keep us posted on ur situation.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #15
JeepDO

My check engine light came on around 2500 miles the first time. Took it into the dealer and they said the same thing - low pressure code. They tested the pressure, and said it was fine. Then they reset the computer, and said to keep an eye on it. My Jeep is now at 5300 miles and the check engine light has came on and off too many times to count.

On my way home tonight my check engine light came on but for the first time I noticed it wouldn't rev past 3500 rpms almost as if it is in limp mode. I plan on calling the dealership tomorrow and will try to take it in. I'll keep you posted. Until then, has anyone had an update on this problem? I'm guessing it's going to be the same low oil pressure code.
JeepDO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.