Check Engine (Gas Cap) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Check Engine (Gas Cap)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

Check Engine (Gas Cap)

Hello all,

I wanted to see if anyone has this issue (I am having no luck re-setting my Check Engine light after having my Gas Cap stolen ...)

I was driving one day and the light came on, I had no idea why (the gaScap notification did not come up on the Odometer like the manual said it would). Called for Dealership appt. and he mentioned the Gas Cap and that was it, gone…

I then got a new gas cap (dealer ordered, not aftermarket) and still cannot get the light to re-set. I held down the trip odometer re-set and it still remains on.

Now, I have had cars where the light was always on (just the nature of old crappy vehicles) but this is a 09 JK Sahara with 7,000 miles on her. Plus, I can't use the Auto start...

Any help would be great.

Thank you,

SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

drive about 100~ miles, several ECM cycles (as long as lite does not "flash" there is no misfire), if still on, you've got a hard code set and have dealer pull and diagnose, it's covered undr warranty as emissions issue beyond the 3/36 warranty BTW
Unread 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
biker_dude

I got this when I put a Wally World aftermarket cap on my rig. Just make sure you put a Mopar cap back on and unplug the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes. This will turn off the light but you will have to reset your clock.
biker_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

Fill up your gas tank so that it's easier for the vapors to pressurize it....that made the difference on the girlfriends lancer.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.