Cheapest source for replacement axle shaft for 07 JK D44? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cheapest source for replacement axle shaft for 07 JK D44?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
billybob535

Cheapest source for replacement axle shaft for 07 JK D44?

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a brand new ready to install replacement rear axle shaft for an 07 JK with the Dana 44. Someone hit the passenger side rear wheel while it was parked and now the axle shaft is bent. I swapped the wheels side to side to confirm the bent shaft. We can see the wheel wobbling in the rear mirror when driving down the road and there is no bearing play at the shaft end when the vehicle weight is removed. There were nice enough to leave some white paint on our aluminum rim but not nice enough to stick around to pay for the damage.

I am not that familiar with the JK dana 44. If I remember correctly these are non c clip axles that require new seals and bearing pressed on. Correct?

Can I swap the rear rotors and pads side to side to check for a bent rotor?

Thanks

Bob

billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
billybob535

This seems to be the cheapest I can find. Any one ever buy one of these?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52403_0035.htm

Last edited by billybob535; 04-19-2013 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Posted wrong URL
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #3
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

And nothing else is bent? Have you checked all the trackbar and control arm brackets and bolts.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
billybob535

Yep. They hit the rim right next to one of the lug nuts wile it was parked. We didn't notice until we went to drive above 45 today and saw the wobble in the mirror.
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Are you sure you need to press on new bearings/seals...seems I remember a fellow changing one out a couple of years ago and all it did was unbolt and a new bolted in....hmmmm. Let me know.
edit - seems I also remember he re-used the axle seal...you would probably want a new one.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
JkSteveNB
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Are you sure you need to press on new bearings/seals...seems I remember a fellow changing one out a couple of years ago and all it did was unbolt and a new bolted in....hmmmm. Let me know.
edit - seems I also remember he re-used the axle seal...you would probably want a new one.
they are pressed on bearings with a lock collar as well. although when I do them I use an exhuast pipe and BFH works out just fine. usually can re use the seal but best to be proactive and change it now!
JkSteveNB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
billybob535

The replacement assembly referenced comes with the studs, bearings, seals, and locking plate already installed so all I have to do it swap the old assembly for the new one. I am just interested to see if anyone here has bought one of those mopar assemblies and if they had any trouble with it.
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

You can change the rotors side for side. You are correct that the bearings are pressed on and the retainer plate/seal is between the bearing and flange.
Northridge 4x4 sells them with the plate and bearings but they are on the west coast and might take a couple of days to get to you.
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

I priced an axle shaft oem after i bent mine. That quadratec link is just for the shafts, not the bearings. To have a the bearings pressed and everything was going to be 400, for 450ish i ordered a set of chromoly alloyusa shafts with bearings pressed on. Plus free shipping. Call them in the morning and they will press them on and ship same day. I live in washington so i had to pay sales tax. They were on my doorstep the next afternoon. Very impressed.

Here is a link. http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/al...line-kit-12158
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Need to correct myself, it happens from time to time. Checked with my friend Dale, the guy that changed his axle while I watched, and he said the axle he used was "all set up" with bearings already installed. Guess I was swilling his brew and not watching close enough!
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
billybob535

I called quadratec and confirmed that it includes all the bearings, seals, plate, and studs and that all of them are installed.

The question now is can I find one for less than $279 from somewhere else.
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

I called and asked them that question too but they told me different. Guess you'll find out when you get it.
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
billybob535

Quadratec was correct. Its complete.

forumrunner_20130422_175152.jpg
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
billybob535

The replacement axle fixed it. Took 25 mins to swap it. Took it out on the main road and ran it up to 90 with no issues.
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
chrisjsmith4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob535 View Post
Quadratec was correct. Its complete.
Those a-holes lied to me. Oh well. Better to go with upgraded anyway. More piece of mind.

Look up my video at chrisjsmith4.cs on youtube at funny rocks. Thats how i bent mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.