Cheap Mods - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cheap Mods

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

So I know these "cheap mods" are all over the place for JK's, but I'd like to kick start some more creative thinking for us Jeeper's. Here is a list I compiled during a very boring lucture:

Grill Mesh Mod - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...d-pics-784840/ ;Bought a twisted wire mesh in the Concrete section at Lowes for $9.56. I think it was 7" by 32" cut to fit across radiator frame an zipped tied it there. Took about 30 minutes and would have been faster if I had a good set of tin snips.

EDIT: sand down your adhesive points and use an epoxy to keep it from coming loose over time. EDIT: plastic will tear, use steel. Same department at Lowes. They sell them by the piece, so DONT BUY THE WHOLE DAMN PACK. I bought 3 pieces, you will want to cut each in half and trim to size. Paint. Touch up easily with a paint pen (I use Mopar hardtop touch-up pen).

Polyfill Mod - buy some and stuff it in the soundbar and dash where the speakers are. Drastically reduces vibration and distortion and makes even the stock speakers sound better.

Emergency Exit Mod - Pull the vent cover on the right side of the inside gate. you can't miss it. Don't know where he got the handle and grommet, though. handle/cable/brackets are hand throttle assy's at Kragens/PEPBOYS-etc, they have tobe "cut-to-fit. Throttle Cable" kits

Seat Belt Mod - you can got to any auto parts store (or walmart even) and get those seat belt shoulder cushions. But instead of mounting them on the shoulder portion of the seat belts, mount them down next to the pillar. No more wind flap

Muffler Mod - Use grill paint to paint your muffler.

Mirror Pee Hole Mod - Take the mirrors off and cut out a section of the rubber seal just above the lower notch (small v). The water will then be able to run out and you wont have holes in a perfectly good mirror. This is what is causing the mirrors to hold water. Another design flaw. Took me 8 min. to do both mirrors.

Doorless Mirror Mod - HotSpot Round Convex Mirror, 2 Inch - legal???

Rear Head Rest Mod - fold them back and tie them in place for more rearview.

Door Stops Mod - have not figured out completly, yet. Should be simple.

Plasti-Paint - Rims, Grill, etc. Nice way to test out a look, since it will easily peel off after drying.

Cargo Hammock - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/car...ck-127989.html

Fry Catcher Mod - smooth pipe insulation pieces to fill gap between front seats and console. Kind of a coin/french fry saver. They move with the seats too. Also put smaller sized of same stuff along dash by windshield to keep crap from falling into that super-void.

Flip Mirror Mod - can be found everywhere.

Please add your cheap mods, for those of you running low on the "to-do" list!

Giving credit where it is due: all over JK forums, thanks everyone!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Pull the carpet and Rhino line yourself. Cost under 200 if you already have a compressor.
Unread 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
Pull the carpet and Rhino line yourself. Cost under 200 if you already have a compressor.
Yea, I have considered this. Some people have said the steel interior is very resiliant, and the rhino line or hurculine is uncessary.
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
JKatfish
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thx for the list of mods bigblue7!
JKatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
Yea, I have considered this. Some people have said the steel interior is very resiliant, and the rhino line or hurculine is uncessary.
Did it on our TJ and will be doing it on the JKU. Once you take the carpets out it just feels like it is missing something. I used U-POL Raptor and cannot say enough good things about it. Just alot of prep work and make sure you buy and extra gun if you decide to.
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOKIES2010 View Post
Did it on our TJ and will be doing it on the JKU. Once you take the carpets out it just feels like it is missing something. I used U-POL Raptor and cannot say enough good things about it. Just alot of prep work and make sure you buy and extra gun if you decide to.
Something would be missing. So, get a full set of RR Floor Mats.
Unread 01-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
fmdualexhaust
2012 JK Wrangler 

I like the fry catcher mod. I dropped the ignition key down there. What a PITA to get it out.
fmdualexhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Making the rear exit is also going to be awesome when I go camping!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
Unread 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

I need to post my pictures, will do soon...
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Grill:
cimg4970.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Fry Catcher:
cimg4971.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tie Downs and Cargo Net:
cimg4972.jpg   cimg4973.jpg   cimg4974.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Flat Black BBQ Grill rattle-can. Painted over a week ago, have taken it off-road, and its still good. Just a little dirty, but 100X better:
cimg4979.jpg   cimg4977.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Tailgate Exit Mod:
cimg4975.jpg  
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

I apologize for the large files, and for the delay in pic posting. Hopefully, you all can appreciate this tread! Now it's your turn, teach me something - i'm still new!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.