Cheap heep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Cheap heep

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
REPR

Cheap heep

I recently put my old Land Cruiser trail rig to rest because it got too damn expensive to fix it.

I have some money laying about and need a new truck to buy and was hoping to get into a cheap JK. Here in Colorado you can get a Sport for about 22 grand, new.

I was just having some basic questions, since I'm a noob to the Jeep

-what's a good 2.5-3" lift?
-do I need to regear an MT if I run 35"s?
-can you run the new Jeeps with sway bars removed, or does it result in really scary handling?

I want to run this on the trails, but still have it livable enough that I can use it to drive 10 miles to work and back.

They sell AEV's around here, would one of their packages even be worth considering, or is it overpriced?

REPR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPR View Post
I recently put my old Land Cruiser trail rig to rest because it got too damn expensive to fix it.

I have some money laying about and need a new truck to buy and was hoping to get into a cheap JK. Here in Colorado you can get a Sport for about 22 grand, new.

I was just having some basic questions, since I'm a noob to the Jeep

-what's a good 2.5-3" lift?
depends on what "good" is to you. To me it means all adjustable links with JJ's, progressive or dual ratted springs and made in the USA

-do I need to regear an MT if I run 35"s?
Depends on what gears you get, at a base model its 3.21:1 at that no. so you need at least the 3.73:1 and that is borderline with 35s. If it was a JKR with 4.1:1 the auto your set. The manual is good though many prefer 4.88 but hat is not stock

-can you run the new Jeeps with sway bars removed, or does it result in really scary handling?
No, not a good idea with a linked suspension.

I want to run this on the trails, but still have it livable enough that I can use it to drive 10 miles to work and back.

They sell AEV's around here, would one of their packages even be worth considering, or is it overpriced?
Over priced, especially for a 2D. You plan to run this on anything hard a 2D no matter what you hear here needs lift to clear that belly. Since a Belly up on a JK for MOST people is way to expensive and not easy to do, requires the relocation of the fuel tank and MANY other things. YOu have two ways to get the belly UP. tires and lift. Tires on a sport are maxed to being anything close to reliable at 35"s and cost effective. Going bigger has a huge cost to do right. LIFT since you are looking at a 2d( ihave one) 3-4" is the best height for the money and you can plan on Drive shafts especially the rear on a 2d. I made what i call the mistake of going AEV full lift kit at 3.5. The front drop brackets will hang on many rocks and can bend and will get beat to h3!11. No control arms so the rear will need those when you change to a more flexi drive shaft If had to start fresh I would most likely go with Metal Cloaks game changer light, @2k+-. or if i had the money would get their Sixpack shocks that give you as much flex as many coilovers setups.But at 4K, yea 2k for shocks, but they are one of a kind.

My jeep is such a mix of parts now that its more a Frankenlift.

My2c that wont buy you a cup of coffee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.