Changing Manual Transmission Fluid through fill hole? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Manual Transmission Fluid through fill hole?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Changing Manual Transmission Fluid through fill hole?

Hey guys,

Looking for an easy way to change the transmission fluid for my 30k service. With my exhaust and skidplate in the way of the drain, I have a PIA project to access the drain and no tools to make a nifty drain remover tool like I see in the writeups.

So, why not pump out the fluid through the fill plug and then pump in fresh fluid? I heard some high end cars change their oil this way. This would avoid the huge project, but is it any good. Or do I need to drain to get any benefit?

Any experienced thoughts?

"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
VIJeeper
2007 JK Wrangler 

My ex-car had the oil changed this way. Insert the tube down the dipstick tube and suck it out. Most marine engines are done this way too. Keeps the oil out of the water.

IMHO a much faster and cleaner way to deal with oil. You can get a cheapo hand pump at most automotive and marine stores for around 15 bucks that will do it. I was about to buy a Pela 6000 ( Quick, Easy & Clean Oil Changes with PELA Products ) it will hold 6 litres of fluid and will fit into any size opening you can get the tube in. If I remember it was around $60 CDN for the 6000

Last edited by VIJeeper; 09-07-2009 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
VIJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

The thing I'm worried about is any sludge or wear particles that settle to the bottom wouldn't be removed by pumping it out?

I got a penzoil siphon pump(with a small enough tube to fit in the fill hole of the transmission) and another pump to fill her back up once empty, but I'm still worried if it's actually an effective transmission fluid change this way.

You think it is just as good?

EDIT:

This is the pump I bought to try and pump the fluid out:

Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--

Last edited by BrettDez; 09-07-2009 at 11:28 AM..
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #4
VIJeeper
2007 JK Wrangler 

That one I could see worrying about leaving stuff behind. Thats just a siphon pump. Great for stealing gas but mot for sucking out crud. The Pela and others have a much higher suction because they use an actual pump (like a bike tire pump) to create vacuum rather than just using gravity. With the largest diameter hose inserted anything close enough will be sucked out...if it doesn't well you may have other problems!
Unread 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Where can I pick an evacuator up locally and cheaply? I only see them for order online.
Unread 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nevermind found one.... I was hoping to avoid having to remove the skid plate, some of the bolts are not recessed enough and the heads got a little messed up by rocks. I know I can get them off, they'll just be a pain.

1st Attempt:

Well, I went with a vaccuum evacuator instead of that siphon tube setup to draw the oil out. And I did not have the success I wanted. I drew out what I figured was alot of oil and no matter how I angled the tubing I could not draw out anymore transmission oil. So, I figured I got pretty much all of it. Then when I went to add in the royal purple fluid, I found that my transmission was full after only about 1.3 quarts being addded. Meaning about .7 or .8 quarts of the old stuff was still in there, DAMN!

In other news, the transfer case fluid change went perfect.
*grumble*stupid transmission*grumble*

I guess my next step is to remove the skidplate and jack up the transmission to properly get access to the drain...save that for another day as that's going to be a pain in the ***, got some errands to run now.
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you only have to do this once every 30,000 miles (its once every 60K miles with the automatic), why short change the process? Do it the PITA yet thorough way, do a nice job, and don't worry about it again for another 30,000 miles. IMHO. YMMV.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
RacingRandie
2009 JK Wrangler 

How much does the dealer charge? May be worth doing it that way considering the warrenty....right?
RacingRandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingRandie View Post
How much does the dealer charge? May be worth doing it that way considering the warrenty....right?
No need to live in fear. You can change your own fluids without impacting the warranty in any way.
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
VIJeeper
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was kinda thinking the same thing...Its not like oil that needs changing every 8000km. My car held 2.7 litres of oil and I was usually able to get 2.5 or 2.6 out. The big trick with the extractors is to not bottom out and curl the tube back up the sides so that it is above bottom.

I've only had my Jeep for 3 days so I have not even seen where the transmission drain is yet...

Cheers!
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIJeeper View Post
I've only had my Jeep for 3 days so I have not even seen where the transmission drain is yet
I would be impressed if you had (:
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The problem with oil extractors on manual transmissions is the tube can't make it past all the gears to get to the bottom.
On automatics, the extractor is only good for getting the fluid out past the pan parting line so when you remove the pan, you don't have fluid spilling all over the place. Because of the way the tranny pan is shaped, the tube will not get all the fluid out.
They work with engine oil changes because the tube will easily go to the bottom of the oil pan. I pulled the plug after my first use of the extractor on my engine. Not even a drop more came out.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.