Changing Brake Pads - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Brake Pads

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Changing Brake Pads

Anyone out there change their own?

I have changed pads on a Bronco II, Tempo, and Dodge Dakota. I know I can do it myself fine, but there are nuances to every set up.

Anyone who has done this run into anything unexpected? Tips? Tricks?

If you haven't changed brake pads on a 2007 or newer Wrangler, please don't speculate for me. Appreciated.

-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Nuts
2009 JK Wrangler 

Changed mine in my 2009 JK for the first time about 2 months ago. It was the rear only because as other will say they are wearing faster than the front ones. This was the first time I have ever changed brake pads and it was a piece of cake.

There is a nice write-up on Project JK about how to do it that you might find helpful. But since you have done them before it just might be repetitive nonsense that you already know.
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

My rears wore faster than the front too. They are about half the size, but the majority of braking should be in the front. The only thing I can guess is the limited slip pulses the brakes and they might wear faster?

I got ceramic, so hopefully I can go for quite a while before having to do them again.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Piece of cake. If you've done disc brakes before, you'll have no problems.

Tips- only one I can think of is: if you've added brake fluid into the master, you'll want to take some out. Because when you push the piston in, its going to force fluid back into the master. If you don't take some out beforehand, you might end up with a bit of a DOT4 mess.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just did my rears on my '07 last week. Unbelievably, they lasted 40k...most then most here it seems. Anyway...it's a snap. Only thing i can add- is that if you have to take off the rotor for any reason (you shouldn't..i only had to once when doing a tire rotation- snapped a lug-nut stud..over-torqued from NTW! ) make sure that you remove the stupid little washer things with some needle-nosed pliers first. I must have beat the hell outta the rotor with a rubber mallet for 15 min pullin and chit until i figured it out.
Unread 06-03-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
fuzzyz11
2007 JK Wrangler 

I did my rear pads about a month ago on an '07 following the write up Project jk and it was a breeze for my first time ever. Just be sure to have a large enough C clamp to compress the piston.

On another note, after I completed the change, my pedal still felt soft and braking power was minimal, so I thought I screwed up and had the shop do once over while they replaced a faulty O2 sensor I couldn't reach. They said everything looked good and I went on my way, only to still have a "soft pedal" sensation. I brought it back in and it turns out the brake master cylinder is shot at only 58k. Hopefully I should get it back tomorrow.

Good Luck!
fuzzyz11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Got the rears changed last night. Used the same retainer clips... didnt even clean em. They looked good. Put the cheap brake quiet packets on. Took me about 30 minutes for the first and 10 minutes for the second... good learning curve. A 5" C clamp is minimum for these if thats what your using.

Question on the fronts... they are built the same way as the rears but the bolts are larger. It's 18mm in the rear. My wrench/socket set goes up to 20mm and it is slightly too small to get the front calipers off.

What size is the bolt? 21mm? Cant find anything on it.

Im at 38000 miles. The rears were GONE, haha. My fronts have about 40-45% left. So I don't need to get on it right away (no more chirper noise). Just need to know what wrench to buy when its time.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did any of you have the rotors "turned" while you had it apart?
mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post

What size is the bolt? 21mm? Cant find anything on it.

Im at 38000 miles. The rears were GONE, haha. My fronts have about 40-45% left. So I don't need to get on it right away (no more chirper noise). Just need to know what wrench to buy when its time.
21mm it is sir

I know this without a doubt because I lost one of my front bolts while wheeling Memorial Weekend. Went on a mega search looking for a replacement and had no luck since it was Memorial Day. Ended up having to drive the 6 hours home without the upper bolt all the way. Made for some "interesting" braking

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalayjim View Post
I did not have mine turned. From what I've read on other forums- the stock rotors come straight from the factory at the bare minimum thickness, so turning them is not possible.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
21mm it is sir

I know this without a doubt because I lost one of my front bolts while wheeling Memorial Weekend. Went on a mega search looking for a replacement and had no luck since it was Memorial Day. Ended up having to drive the 6 hours home without the upper bolt all the way. Made for some "interesting" braking
Dare I ask how you lose a caliper bolt wheeling?

I noticed that after the two bolts came off I still needed to pry the caliper off with a screw driver to get it off the bracket... fits pretty snug. I wouldn't want to drive 6hrs with one bolt either, but doesnt surprise me you made it.

A 21mm bolt is not common even if it wasn't a holiday. That'd suck.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalayjim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I did not have mine turned. From what I've read on other forums- the stock rotors come straight from the factory at the bare minimum thickness, so turning them is not possible.
The rotors dont even have vents in the middle (yet another reason people are getting their brakes eaten up quickly- hot). If my rotor got warped and I had to replace it, I'd buy more stout rotors.

The weight makes it hard to stop a wrangler. The suspension - especially with a lift - makes it worse... Wouldn't be a bad investment for some vented and/or crossdrilled rotors. Safer as well.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
Dare I ask how you lose a caliper bolt wheeling?
I have no clue! I wheeled all weekend. Left the off road place Monday morning, and drove 70mph 3 miles to the nearest town. As I was rolling thru that town (30 mph speed limit) I heard a weird noise coming from my front end. Pulled into a church parking lot, and had my wife drive around while I stood outside trying to locate the noise. At one point she put in reverse, and when she started moving I saw the caliper flip backwards and smack the wheel The one bolt was MIA, and the lower bolt was loose enough to turn by hand I have no idea when/where/how. I cranked down the one bolt, and headed for the nearest city (Austin) which was over an hour away. In Austin, I hit 6 auto parts stores and 2 hardware stores. No luck. SO had to finish the 4 hour drive home.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Nuts
2009 JK Wrangler 

propprd1 let me know if there is anything different about changing the front pads then the back pads. I wil be changing my front pads in about 2,000 miles.

N2rock good lord thats crazy but glad you made it back safely.
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Like I said- it made for interesting braking. I had to apply very little pressure to the brakes, which meant slowing down way ahead of time. If I got in a situation that required even just a slight bit of more braking power, the steering wheel would wobble really bad until I let off. And if speed went below 10mph, I could hear & feel grinding- the caliper was grinding on the top edge of the rotor. If backing up and braking, the caliper would swing back and hit the rim.

When I got back home, I stole the bolt from my wife's JK and then Tuesday went off searching for the bolt again. Ultimately had to go to a dealer and order it (even the dealers did not stock it). The dealer got it in the very next day- cost a whopping $2.50 Ironic how the dealers charge like $7-$9 for those little plastic fender clips, but then only $2.50 for this big beefy caliper bolt.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.