Changes to 2010 Unlimited's Soft-Top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Changes to 2010 Unlimited's Soft-Top?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Changes to 2010 Unlimited's Soft-Top?

Can anyone familiar with the changes to the 2010 4-dr Sunrider soft-top comment on them please? I have a 2009 and use the Sunrider feature a lot. I would buy the new upgraded top if it was appreciably quicker to open and close.

I hear fastening the retainers has been eliminated by a spring/cable system. It seems difficult to believe that this system would keep the rain out but I guess it must do the job better than the 2007-2009 versions.

I assume I would need to get the window surrounds also. Have they fixed the problem with the rear window teeth not meshing at the top corners on the earlier versions.

Thanks for any comments.

Unread 01-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Heard it's different. Mine is not due in for 8 weeks. I'll let you know when it gets here.
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM View Post
Heard it's different. Mine is not due in for 8 weeks. I'll let you know when it gets here.
Thanks, you'll love your JK. If I had only one vehicle to own, for the rest of my life, it would be a JK Unlimited! I have been waiting for this vehicle to be produced since 1971, when I purchased a K-5 Chevy Blazer. I said if anyone comes out with a 4x4, soft-top with 4 doors, I would be all over it. It's even better that it's a Jeep with it's legacy!
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
mstonebu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hi, new to the forum, but your in luck, I have a new 2010 JK 4dr Sahara with the new soft top. Previously I had a 2007 4dr JK with the retainers. The spring/cable system works well. Its been a month, a couple rain showers, including a 2 hour highway trip to orlando last weekend in the rain and I didnt have any leaks. It really is much easier to open. You just undo the two front latches and flip it up and over. The tension in the spring and cable is pretty balanced as it flips up and over. Easy for one person to do from the side of the jeep with no problem. You literally can have the top flipped up and over, opening up the front in less than 30 seconds.

The door surounds used for the cable/spring top are different than the ones for the retainer top. They are a bit taller and the cable is snugged tight to the bottom. (if the makes sense.)
mstonebu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Silverknight
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does the top still have to be folded as you take it back?
Silverknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
CTJeepGuy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstonebu View Post
Easy for one person to do from the side of the jeep with no problem. You literally can have the top flipped up and over, opening up the front in less than 30 seconds.

The door surounds used for the cable/spring top are different than the ones for the retainer top. They are a bit taller and the cable is snugged tight to the bottom. (if the makes sense.)
This is fantastic news. I have the hardtop on now, but my softtop's waiting for the spring...I was hoping the rumors of it becoming easier were true.
Unread 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverknight View Post
That's my question too, Mstonebu. On my 2009 JK I need to go over to each side and tuck and fold the top into the "W" shape. On the 2010 it sounds like the springs do it for you almost automatically. Since I like using the Sunrider feature a lot I may look into buying a 2010 take-off when summer comes and selling my older one.

Any other parts needed besides the door surrounds?
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
mstonebu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverknight View Post
Since Im so new and have so few posts, i don't think I can post pictures with img links so here is a link to a gallery with them.

You can see that because of the cable and spring flipping the front of the top up is pretty easy. As I mentioned before you can pretty easily do it from one side of the car, and it will sit at a 45 degree angle all on its own. the front cross/support bar is now permanently fixed to the top (no more velcro). As you continue to tip it back it does a good job folding itself up.

I included a pic of the spring and cable.

Putting the top the rest of the way down is still as cumbersome as it used to be, but the top does an excellent job of folding itself.. so that is easier.

The channel, now that I look at it again isn't that much taller, but the groove for the older style clips are gone.

Lastly, you can see how the edge just close down onto the door surround. the tension in the spring holds the roof to the side of channel.

So far no complaints. Time will tell how the spring and cable hold up. I figure Jeep probably thinks you need to replace the top every 3, 4, 5 years and at that time you'd get a new cable and spring.
Unread 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
mstonebu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1 View Post
Any other parts needed besides the door surrounds?
I doesn't appear so. Also, I read the Jeep engineer thread. They mentioned only new door surounds were needed with the new cable and spring top. I don't see anything else that is different from by 2007 4DR JK.
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info Mstonebu.
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

BTW They are already having problems with the springs, cables and seals on the new ones on 4dr.
There is a RRT (rapid response transmittel) at all the dealers.
For those that have 2010 wrangler 4dr with soft top call your dealer with your vin and ask.
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #12
mstonebu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
BTW They are already having problems with the springs, cables and seals on the new ones on 4dr.
There is a RRT (rapid response transmittel) at all the dealers.
For those that have 2010 wrangler 4dr with soft top call your dealer with your vin and ask.
Any elaboration on exactly "what" problems they are having. Personally with mine, so far i have not noticed any issues, would like to know what to watch out for.
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Springs weeken and cables break.
It is VIN specific so probably a bad batch.
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
mstonebu
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1 View Post
Thanks for the info Mstonebu.
I think eventually another post of mine will make it on here. Since im so new I cant post img links. I tried to post a web link to a photo album i created so i could show you guys some pics I took of my top, but its pending moderator review. Will try this.. you have to cut and paste and remove the space between the spaces.. if your really interested in seeing.

ht tp: // gallery.me.com/mes1024#100010
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Oh that's a great thought. Is it a recall or TSB? I like my chrysler products but they piss me off with release things as TSBs that you have to pay for when the warranty is up...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.