Changed front and rear end fluids on 2007 Sahara - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Changed front and rear end fluids on 2007 Sahara

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Changed front and rear end fluids on 2007 Sahara

My 2007 Sahara with 16,800 miles has Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear. Purchased 4 quarts Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic gear lube. It also says "LS" on the bottle which means limited slip. You do NOT need to add any additives to this. I used about 3.1-3.2 quarts total, mainly because the bottle pump wouldnt quite grab the last 1/8 of each bottle. I can probably drain all my leftovers into 1 bottle and have a full bottle left.

(Thinking about doing the transfer case next, per the ATF in the backround. But I suppose I should get synthetic ATF if I'm going to all the trouble.. The manual transmission will be last, with that super pesky bolt design requiring the shortened 17mm allen key. Anyone know where to just buy a tool that will work outright?)

Dana 44 rear draining out. You can see both the drain hole and the fill hole:

You can see my drain plug magnet and what it came out like:

Last edited by plac; 04-02-2010 at 07:47 AM..
plac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think most if not all ATF is synthetic these days.

Thanks for the Write up. I need to do this soon.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post

I have to do this too. I _think_ I know the answer, but to fill up the diff, don't you just fill it to the bottom of the fill hole? (before it starts coming out)

...and then, the four quarts covered everything?

I can't believe how much they charge for this at the dealer. You pretty much don't even have to jack up the vehicle...
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
I have to do this too. I _think_ I know the answer, but to fill up the diff, don't you just fill it to the bottom of the fill hole? (before it starts coming out)

...and then, the four quarts covered everything?

I can't believe how much they charge for this at the dealer. You pretty much don't even have to jack up the vehicle...
3 quarts would have covered everything really.. invest in the $10 bottle pump, it cuts the time in half. fill it till it starts slowly pouring down the side, then screw in the plug. doesnt have to be exact, not like it covers the gears. They just sit in it and when they turn it coats the fluid. I wiped the plugs with red sticky high-tack sealer just for good measure.

didnt jack up anything.
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Return View Post

I found the basic Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. Thats what I'll buy in a day or two, so i can do my transfer case.
Unread 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Seanbmc
2009 JK Wrangler 

May be a dumb question, but can you just take the old diff fluid to a place like autozone and dump in their big oil reservoir? I need to do my diffs, overdue.
Mastercraft Grab Handles, Mopar Slush Mats, Hitch.
Seanbmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
twenty10JK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Oil is oil... diffs, tranny, engine... when you're recycling...
twenty10JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

My curbside recyclying takes a max of 5 gallons every other week.

UPDATE:

Just finished changing my transfer case fluid to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Pretty much exactly 2 quarts. Again, I dabbled into my 3rd quart just so my pump could keep sucking, but it really only used 1.9 quarts, because I have 1.1 quarts left out of 3 purchased.

Job was simple after removing the rock sheild which is just 4 bolts. Fill and drain both used a 10mm allen socket. Not much comes out (obviously, mentioned above). Filled up until it was a steady pour down to a slow drip, then capped it. The old ATF was still clear like new at 17k miles. Aw well, peace of mind I guess.

Now I need to do the manual transmission. The one I really been dreading.. Anyone know if that uses the same Mobil 1 75W-90 I used for my rear ends or if I have to use something different? I dont have a die grinder so its gonna be tough to make my own stubby 17mm allen tool to drain it.
Unread 04-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #9
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE AGAIN:

Just finished changing my manual transmission fluid. Bought the last 2 bottles of Royal Purple Synchromax synthetic oil. The price was double the Pennzoil, but i went 100% synthetic on everything else so I didn't want to skimp on just one part. Used less than 2 quarts. Maybe 1.8-1.9 quarts and my pump tool worked to pump all of it. Lucky I decided not to drive that extra 45 mins to find 1 more quart somewhere.. You dont need 3... I actually threw out the last 1/8 of a quart. (Into my used oil).

Made my own custom tool for the 2007 JK in 5 mins. Found a bolt that was 17mm head. Screwed 2 nuts onto it. Cut off almost all the remainder. That took 20 mins with my blunt hacksaw. Hammered the tip hard to stop the nuts from coming off. Worked like butter. The nut might twist a bit when removing, but it just bites into the crushed flange and then starts working. Putting it back in is nothing, as you are tightening the screws onto your tool instead.

Unread 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Fair disclosure. I put oem fluid back in my manual trans. I just didnt like the feel of the synchros w royal purple. so i bought 2 new mopar quarts and did the job again today. since the tool was already made, only about 15 mins work this time.
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
Fair disclosure. I put oem fluid back in my manual trans. I just didnt like the feel of the synchros w royal purple. so i bought 2 new mopar quarts and did the job again today. since the tool was already made, only about 15 mins work this time.
confirmed for sure. my personal experience. the tranny now shifts way better since i went back to oem fluid. as far as pushing it into gears and taking it out. less sticky, less resistance with oem fluid.
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did you use 3 qts. on each axle? Or was that total for both?
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan45acp View Post
Did you use 3 qts. on each axle? Or was that total for both?
thats both. the D44 uses about 2 and the D30 uses about 1.
Unread 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
fan45acp
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
thats both. the D44 uses about 2 and the D30 uses about 1.
Thanks plac.........J.H.
fan45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks plac! Did mine today and your write-up helped. I bought 4 quarts + the pump but only used 3. I figure next time I just need to buy two quarts. Man the rear was pretty nasty and the front was still fairly clear... I guess that tells you how much I have it in 4-wheel-drive... Wish it was more, but work has really gotten rid of my play time as of late. Didn't do my transfercase. I'm going to do that next time I do the oil change.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.