"change oil" still displayed after oil change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "change oil" still displayed after oil change

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
mudman1

"change oil" still displayed after oil change

hi, i bought a 2008 wrangler. when i start it up, it said "change oil"... well today i went to jiffylube and they changed the oil. but now when i start the car, it still says "change oil"

do i need to drive it a while for it to detect the new oil....or is something wrong?

thx

mudman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Nope there is a way to reset it. Read here.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/c...-light-953786/
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

First off... Shame on you for letting Jiffy Lube touch your Jeep.... Second off... All you have to do is turn the key to the on position without starting the Jeep then press the gas pedal three times very fast and it will cut the light off... You should do this after every time you change your oil, it does not "sense" the new oil... Hope that helps.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

And Jiffy Lube is not going to have any idea how to reset the light. My dealership apparently can't figure it out either.
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
mudman1

thank you, this fixed it.
it's also in my manual..page 207
mudman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Itís best to change your own oil instead of Ďin and outí places. Do it yourself and know that itís done right. Many years ago I worked at a similar place and could tell you some of the mistakes that had been made (not by me of course). Remember, they want your car (Jeep) in and out as soon as possible and you donít always get the oil you ask for.

Plus, it gets you under your Jeep so you can take a look to see if everything is still ok. Stuff can come loose, bent, broke, crackedÖ
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

There is only one reason I don't change my own oil. Dealer gave me free oil changes for 3 years when I bought it.
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
There is only one reason I don't change my own oil. Dealer gave me free oil changes for 3 years when I bought it.
Yeah, well look at that nice oil slick under your Jeep in your avatar. Nice job, dealer.

Just kidden.
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Yeah, well look at that nice oil slick under your Jeep in your avatar. Nice job, dealer.

Just kidden.
Funny you mention that. Actually that is not from my Jeep, but when I put on my lift in December the guy whose garage I did it in noticed an oil leak. The filter was loose. NOW, I do second check the dealer.
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I was in a hurry as usual to get a customerís car finished and out, that I didnít check to see if the old filter gasket came off with the filter. Needles to say I installed the new filter with two gaskets. Luckily one of the other employees drove the car out and around the building. While doing so, the filter blew off and dumped a ***** load of oil on the ground. Hate see what would have happened if the customer drove off and had it happen on her way home. Just another point for doing it yourself.
My Jeep has to take me there and most importantly get me back. I trust it to no one unless absolutely necessary.
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

The day I witnessed A Jiffy-Lube type shop attempting to remove the T-Case Drain plug on my XJ with a pair of vice grips... This was absolutely the last time I ever set foot in one of those places... In fact I grabbed the manager and said WTF do they always use pliers as wrenches? They just looked at me like it was no big deal, routine business as usual.

Can I afford to pay someone to do this for me, Yep, Will I? Hell No!

Change your oil with your hands not a credit card.
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I got the same deal... but as soon as that expires I definitely plan on being hands-on. My only problem is that it's so difficult to find places to recycle old petroleum byproducts in my area. I've been told the auto parts store accept these but I haven't checked that yet.
Unread 04-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
BigRed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

last time i went to an in and out shop was about 3 years ago with my old 92 integra. i had been going to the same place for about 6 years, knew the owner well, and usually got a discount(fluid check, carpet clean and oil change for $20). well, when they were putting the drain plug back in they stripped it and my oil slowly leaked everywhere for about a month before i noticed it. i had to drill a new hole in the oil pan and it was a big pain in the arse.
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Like said above, nothing beats doing it yourself. I rcvd "free" oil changes for both my Jeep and our G8 but will never let them do either one. Sucks doing the G8 since you can't just crawl under the darn thing. Nothing some home made ramps didn't cure though.

As a side note, if you do it yourself make sure you keep receipts for your oil & filter and log when you do the oil changes. Just in case you have a warranty issue and they try to blame lack of of oil changes. Just something I've always done with my vehicles.
Unread 04-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #15
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
I got the same deal... but as soon as that expires I definitely plan on being hands-on. My only problem is that it's so difficult to find places to recycle old petroleum byproducts in my area. I've been told the auto parts store accept these but I haven't checked that yet.
an auto parts store should definitely take the used oil (they do around me). You local wrench-turner should take it, too.

I believe any place that SELLS oil has to accept used oil for recycling.

I thought that was a federal rule, maybe it is just a state rule, maybe I am completely wrong...

someone correct me if I am wrong
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.