Change Oil Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Change Oil Problem

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
eillirand
2010 JK Wrangler 

Change Oil Problem

At roughly 6500 miles, the Change Oil notification appeared. Expected as that is within the normal 6000-8000 range that modern vehicles can go between oil; I changed the oil and the filter. Note; I have been doing my own oil changes for years.

Once completed; I followed the steps on resetting the computer gauge and all was good... until now. I have 8400 miles total on the Jeep and again the Change Oil notification appears.

Takes no Einstein to figure out that 8400-6500 = 1900. That is ridiculously low for the second oil change.

I purchased quality oil (Quaker State) [I could not find Mobile 1 in stock any where near me] and FRAM oil filters. I have used FRAM for years and just like them in general.

Nevertheless, I dont think either are the cause. The oil visually looks great (near new color; expected). Oil Levels are fine. etc etc. But obviously, some reason the computer thinks I need to change the oil with 1900 miles on it.

While I can just reset the computer again, I still find this odd and wanted to check and see if this has occurred for anyone else. I really dont want to reset as that will obviously mess me up with the next oil change. (although, I do not 100% rely on this to change my oil)

Thanks for any assistance. I hope next time I can get Mobile 1 as that seems highly recommended but again, bad timely. (places carried that but was out of stock). I have however used Quaker State, Pennzoil, Mobile 1 and just about every other brand in the past without problems.

eillirand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

that does seem like a really short interval but the algorithm doesn't take into account mileage or time (or what kind of oil you use). Just "duty cycle" which doesn't tell you a lot.

Some of the basic parameters are cold starts, restarts, time at operating temperature, engine revolutions, run time, oil temp, coolant temp, etc. Chrysler may have many more, I have never found out exactly; I assume it is a trade secret....

The OCI predicts degradation. You're free to ignore it. If you really want to know you can have your oil tested, for example, at blackstone labs.

Had your driving habits changed recently?
Jiblet is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
eillirand
2010 JK Wrangler 

Same driving habits. Living in Texas so Summer has been in full swing but that been the case since April Jeep was purchased March 27. 75% 25% Highway/City plus a weekend offroading. The offroading weekend was before the 1st change though. The oil temp shows dead center after the normal warm up period. Trying to think of anything out of the ordinary but my mind draws a blank.

My daily commute is roughly 80 miles. Time based, it has been about a month since I did the 1st change.

I read last year that in modern cars, just looking at the oil is not necessarily the best way to test oil these days, so one would say to trust the computer; but 1900 miles. Hmmm...
eillirand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's a very regular occurrence for these to give a very early warning.
My change oil indicator goes on at aprox. 2500 miles every time and this has been the case with numerous others on this forum.
I have been changing oil around 3500-4000 miles so this basically gives me a reminder that I have a month or two to go

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think the computer is set to give a warning for every 3000 miles, so at 2500, 5500, 8500, you'll get a message to change your oil.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change oil light , JK Wrangler , oil change indicator , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.