Change Fluids? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Change Fluids?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #16
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

The general rule of thumb, which I don't myself follow is to change your diff fluids if they're submerged in water. If you have water in your airbox its time to seriously consider buying a snorkel. Changing diff fluid is very very easy to do and takes probably 20min. Good thing to have regularly maintained IMHO

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

If I have submerged the Jeep multiple times on an outing, or if it were for an extended period, I generally like to change the diff fluid. AS said above, it is a very simple process, takes very little effort, and is a great way to ensure that the fluids are in fact fine. To change your engine and diff oil (while they may not be necessary) is simple and cheap enough. I would say go ahead and service the vehicle, make yourself feel better, and Jeep on!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hot differential enters cold water. Diff cools suddenly. Negative pressure created in diff housing. Breather is supposed to allow air in to balance pressure.

Now lets say, however some cold water gets sucked into leaks around the diff cover, breather tube connection, tube and pinion seals. Bearings, rings and pinion now exposed to oil-water emulsion. Oil properties change, internal parts rust and wear due to presence of water. Even worse when your breather is submerged or if it happens to be blocked.

Doing water crossings? My advice is to buy a 5-gallon pail of 80W90 dino and change diff fluid often. Reason why they say to change diff oil so rarely in the manual is because it is written for 99.9% of the "other" people who stick to the roads. If the water was deep, this can also apply to your engine and transmission, too! Happy crossings!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Will i have to completely pull off the diff cover or can i just unscrew the bottom drain plug. Both ways will drain the diff however only going the plug route will save me money by note having to buy new gaskets and silicone.
toxicwaste29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicwaste29
Will i have to completely pull off the diff cover or can i just unscrew the bottom drain plug. Both ways will drain the diff however only going the plug route will save me money by note having to buy new gaskets and silicone.
I've changed mine twice and have just used the drain plug and fill plugs. I'm sure eventually I'll want to pull off the cover, but with regular changes I don't feel as tho that'll be for some time. Unless of course I drown my jeep....
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
Unread 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

I found my breathers. The front axle one is right below my driver shock tower. My rear axle one was between my muffler and wheel well on the passenger side. I'm defiantly changing the fluid since all the breather is a plastic hat basically at the end of the tube. I know for a fact I got water in my axles.
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

What about my transfer case?
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #23
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What about my transfer case?
The transfer case breather is way up behind the heatshield.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
rubicon1000
2012 JK Wrangler 

check this vid. out shows u locations and how to ext.
SOLD 03 Rubicon , nv 3550 ,4'' RC lift ,1'' RC MM lift, 1.25'' body lift, HD rear bumper, hummer snorkel cap with buick airbox and custom piping, 265/75 r 16 tread wright retread mud tires on stock rubicon wheels, smitty built 8k winch, cobra cb radio, rrc front bumper, pre-runner rear bumper, HID headlights in Hella housings
rubicon1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #25
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Two more questions, if i tie all the breather together and route the single line higher do i have to worry about cross contamination between the diff and transfer case fluids and if i do redo the breather setup this way will i have to worry about changing my fluids after offroading.
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #26
jeepwave2389
2009 JK Wrangler 

Always change your diff fluid after submerging in water. Open it up and take a look anyhow

If it looks like chocolate milk...change it.
jeepwave2389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwave2389 View Post
Always change your diff fluid after submerging in water.
Is this even if i do relocate my breathers into my air intake box and get a snorkel?

Changed it today. Everything seemed fine the oil still looked like oil and didnt seem to have any dirt, some metal dust on the drain plugs but nothing to worry about.
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Is this even if i do relocate my breathers into my air intake box and get a snorkel?

Changed it today. Everything seemed fine the oil still looked like oil and didnt seem to have any dirt, some metal dust on the drain plugs but nothing to worry about.
Even if you tie the breather lines to the airbox you still should replace the diff fluid about every 15k miles if you put the rig through water. As for cross contamination, unless you over fill or submerge the breathers under water often, you won't have to worry about it.
Unread 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
jeepwave2389
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I would if I was you.
jeepwave2389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #30
toxicwaste29
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another thing. I put full synthetic gear oil in both diffs. I was looking online and there was no definite answer about this. Running full synthetic doesn't matter as long as i don't go back to regular gear oil anytime down the road, correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.